Honda CBR 300 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New bike...two days...two rides....found puddle of oil under bike....it appears to be coming from the drain plug for oil....Still appears to be almost too full of oil looking in the sight glass. Plug is tight....could be the crush washer pinched/warped? I'll be changing oil from break in miles soon anyway...will see if a new crush washer and proper amount of oil does the trick...has not leaked anymore since sitting for hours...almost like it did it all as soon as shut off engine after my 103 miles "easy" ride today. Bike now has 170 miles on it in 24 hours. Odd...havn't had a puddle of oil under a bike since my first Harley

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
there was no oil on any other part of the bike but the drain plug....Its been 3 hours now since I wiped it off and parked in new spot with paper towels under it and nothing dripped since then...I'm not even sure if it was there yesterday or not.....but there was oil on plug a few hours ago....chain side opposite where oil was on my vinyl pad....plus this was pure liquid...Hopefully the Honda dealer wouldn't use regular oil on chain instead of spray lube that would possibly sling off but not drip and run down the gullies of my vinyl garage floor covering...Hopefully it will just be one of those mysteries that never happens again...

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
I doubt the oil is leaking from your drain plug... the plug would have to be loose for that to happen.

Here's another possible explanation: If the engine oil level in the crankcase is too full, that could cause oil to travel through the crankcase breather hose (especially during extended high RPM operation), to the air box. From the air box the oil can find it's way to your garage floor.

Reactions: Knights2theEnd

·
Registered
20 Posts
I doubt the oil is leaking from your drain plug... the plug would have to be loose for that to happen.

Here's another possible explanation: If the engine oil level in the crankcase is too full, that could cause oil to travel through the crankcase breather hose (especially during extended high RPM operation), to the air box. From the air box the oil can find it's way to your garage floor.
I have an oil leak as well. And the above quote is exactly what's happening to mine. Even after a good ride the oil level is above where the full line is. I suspect too much oil was added to the crankcase. Oil does gather in and around the drain plug. But it's definitely not from there. I can see a trail leading there from somewhere above. The oil is pretty clean so you can't notice the trail until you start getting dirt sticking to it. I haven't seen the leak return after doing the first oil change at 600 miles. Oil level is correct now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts