Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else have a problem going from neutral to first? I’m sitting at a light or train track in neutral, go to put it in first and I need to feather the clutch and maybe roll it forward a bit to do this occasionally.....
My 1973 Honda CB175 had the same problem..... It’s kinda funny that on most my other bikes, I had a problem finding neutral... this one, I can’t find first....

Reactions: Hi-Viz-Honda

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have owned five motorcycles -- one Honda, two Suzukis, two Kawasakis -- and have ridden perhaps a dozen-and-a-half others of varying makes. To my recollection, every single one of them has exhibited this behavior at least occasionally. Maybe there's been something wrong with all of them, but I have come to regard it as "just one of those things". As you mentioned, moving the bike slightly or just engaging/disengaging the clutch does the trick.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Mine hates going into neutral. 2nd -> N is best achieved by feathering out the clutch and letting the bike creep forward an inch.

HOWEVER, on occasion while getting going and seeking second, it'll find neutral from first and I end up revving the snot out of it and looking like the fool (that I am).

·
Premium Member
5,282 Posts
I run reverse (race) shift pattern on my bikes these days and I find it much easier to find neutral from first gear now. Something to do with a downward action rather than an upward one. As I coast to a stop I just keep whacking it upwards through the gears until it's in first then one little tap down into N.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
neutral is not a riding gear.. its for parking..
sitting at lights etc, isnt parking,, its 'ready'..
I think of neutral as a tool..... for 45 seconds, I can stand up and flex the joints in my hands, twist a bit, and give my butt a break. I also find it helpful when trying out the new yoga poses....... :D

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
without doubt, occasionally neutral can be handy, and im all for standing on pegs [incl, riding] and other stretching etc,, but not as a habit, especially anywhere cars may be behind or near you...
novice etc riders should consider every little edge in avoiding distracted drivers..
and for that matter all potential riding skills..

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
without doubt, occasionally neutral can be handy, and im all for standing on pegs [incl, riding] and other stretching etc,, but not as a habit, especially anywhere cars may be behind or near you...
novice etc riders should consider every little edge in avoiding distracted drivers..
and for that matter all potential riding skills..
When I rode my CBR600 across the country, you would not believe some of the positions I ended up in..... The most uncomfortable cross country bike EVER!!! I would have been distracting drivers..... if there would have been any around......

My favorite was standing on passenger pegs with butt in the air thinking “only 80 more miles till I stop for the night....” :laugh:

Reactions: shisoshin

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
another way riding a motorcycle benefits general relaxation [compared to a car] is standing on your pegs [compared to strapped into a seat with a roof, legs extended forward], which allows many beneficial movements to rest and restore muscles tiring from lack of movement..
similarly [aside from pulling over of course] its easy to simply lift arms up overhead as in yawning reflex, keeping pegs weighted and good knee to tank contact..

did this after an off [old lady took me out] riding home to check on alignments, causing the woman driving other way to have kittens.. the world of motorcycle steering being alien to drivers..

novices and inexperienced should practice any and all riding techniques and skills in a quiet area away from traffic and distractions, before using beyond basic riding on the streets with cars..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts