Honda CBR 300 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always used these except for a short time in my youth when the full face was so cool. They are much easier to put on and remove if you wear glasses so they're my choice. I'm looking for a new one now that is reasonably priced and DOT certified. Would be nice too if I can find one to match the blue of my 2021 CB300R.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Well I mean I wear glasses and use them with a full face but if I were to go for a 3/4 helmet I'd probably go with either the Bell Custom 500 which has both DOT and ECE 22.05 certification, or a Shoei RJ Platinum. I think the Arai equivalent is just too expensive for what it's asking for.

I think the Bell helmet will be your best best since IIRC they offer a customizer service to customize your helmet and you should be able to get a match to your bike I'm guessing if you can give them a Pantone colour code or something (obviously this is done at a premium, IIRC they start at $400 USD for customizing a helmet).

·
Registered
289 Posts
Do you have a Cycle Gear store in your area-if so worth the drive they stock a lot of helmets-right now all three of my helmets came from them--helmets need to be tried on before you buy hard to do with mail order

·
Registered
364 Posts
Not nearly enough protection for me in a motorcycle accident. For using in my car for autocross and track days, fine.

(@motorboy, I don't know where everyone all lives, but places here have been much more reluctant to allow customers to try on a bunch of helmets, pandemic and all

·
Premium Member
5,491 Posts
Not nearly enough protection for me in a motorcycle accident. For using in my car for autocross and track days, fine.

(@motorboy, I don't know where everyone all lives, but places here have been much more reluctant to allow customers to try on a bunch of helmets, pandemic and all
+1 The potential for a smashed up nose, jaw and teeth is enough to put me off. I went over the handle bars of a push bike once and banged my face up pretty bad, I would hate to see the effects of a similar accident at motorized speeds.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for everyone's feedback. I have gone over the bars once after a pedestrian walked in front of me on my CB360G ages ago. I lost some meat on my palms and forearm but tucked and rolled to a stop from about 40 mph 20 or 30 feet down the road. The guy I hit on this country back road was drunk and received a broken hip as I recall. The ambulance people saved me by noting his intoxication to the investigating policeman. I used open face helmets during my mx'ing days and wore a large plastic Jofa mouth guard every race. I didn't have any instances where a rock was deflected by this item but it did keep a lot of dirt and mud out of my mouth. I've also seen some pretty gruesome after accident pictures of riders which no man made helmet today would have saved them. Today, it's a matter of convenience to wear the open face helmet since I also wear glasses. I'm also a cheap a$$ so Cycle Gear is my first stop for accessories like this.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts