Honda CBR 300 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seem a rear rack is difficult to find; and even if there is one, the capacity is not very big, usually. Sometimes I need to haul lots of stuff. I'm using the same panniers I had for the Vespa. As the pannier support (so it doesn't interfere with the rear wheel) I use a bungee cord (see the pic). It works OK, so far. A 40-km highway ride with this setup wasn't an issue. Another advantage of panniers - mounting/dismounting the bike is as easy as when the bike is empty. (The blue "ropes" on the pillion seat are used to attach a backpack to the pillion seat when I need even more stuff.)

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
My kind of engineering Michael. That bungee idea rocks and your photos have all the details. A backpack on the pillion seat, add a tank bag and I'm off this spring 300F AZ to MN. I have months to find the right soft luggage.
I am 75, not tall, and have a trick for mounting saddles when stuff piled on the rear. On the side stand, I steady with left hand on the bar and stand beside the tank facing the bike 45 degrees to the rear. I swing my right leg up and catch the pants cuff in my right hand and lift my boot up and over the saddle in front of the interfering luggage. Slide right on and Bob's your uncle.

·
Premium Member
5,461 Posts
Good thinking. A couple of bungee cords is a lot lighter than a steel rack too. And when your only sporting 30 ponies under the tank you need all the advantages you can get!

·
Registered
172 Posts

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I'm looking for safe and secure luggage. I usually fit a top box, but this time I might go for panniers. Don't know yet.

I like to take a camera and a couple of lenses with me on weekend rides, so I need to be sure I don't leave a trail of camera gear on the road behind me. It also needs to be easily removed and carried, so that some dirty scumbag doesn't help himself to my stuff while I'm having a mid-ride coffee. I spent a fair bit on my current gear - one body and a couple of lenses would be worth about $10K.

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
I'm looking for safe and secure luggage. I usually fit a top box, but this time I might go for panniers. Don't know yet.

I like to take a camera and a couple of lenses with me on weekend rides, so I need to be sure I don't leave a trail of camera gear on the road behind me. It also needs to be easily removed and carried, so that some dirty scumbag doesn't help himself to my stuff while I'm having a mid-ride coffee. I spent a fair bit on my current gear - one body and a couple of lenses would be worth about $10K.
Twice what your bike is worth. :eek:

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Twice what your bike is worth. :eek:
I have spent around $20K on camera gear. I suppose that's one reason why I didn't want to spend too much on a bike - my toy budget ( and goodwill with Mrs Wife) was pretty much used up!

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

How about a Pelican hard case that fits in a pannier?

·
Registered
212 Posts
It seem a rear rack is difficult to find; and even if there is one, the capacity is not very big, usually. Sometimes I need to haul lots of stuff. I'm using the same panniers I had for the Vespa. As the pannier support (so it doesn't interfere with the rear wheel) I use a bungee cord (see the pic). It works OK, so far. A 40-km highway ride with this setup wasn't an issue. Another advantage of panniers - mounting/dismounting the bike is as easy as when the bike is empty. (The blue "ropes" on the pillion seat are used to attach a backpack to the pillion seat when I need even more stuff.)
I bought my rack from Thailand for about £90 (GBP).

Have you considered buying a Givi top box and plate and mounting the plate on the pillion seat? I bought spare seats and did this on my CB1000R and CBR650FA. On the latter I have some side frames work in progress to avoid damage to the side panels.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I bought my rack from Thailand for about £90 (GBP).

Have you considered buying a Givi top box and plate and mounting the plate on the pillion seat? I bought spare seats and did this on my CB1000R and CBR650FA. On the latter I have some side frames work in progress to avoid damage to the side panels.
That sounds great. I was thinking about using the pillion seat for mounting something (like a rack), but I'm not sure how to do it. Would you mind posting some detailed pictures of your solution? Thanks.

·
Registered
212 Posts
1. Make a cardboard template of the top box plate
2. Decide where holes should be drilled through the seat which won't impact on anything under the seat. Mark these holes which will pass through the plate on the cardboard template
3. Drill 4 holes
4. Work out lengths of 4 bolts to buy unless you have already done this. You may want to consider an additional plate to fit between the seat and top box plate and a plate on the underneath of the seat instead of using washers for the bolts.
5. Consider strengthening the locking plate (the plate cracked on my CB1000R)

Hope this helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks, CBR300R. This is on my to-do list for the spring. I like that this positioning of the top box doesn't disturb the flow of the bike (the look of it) It seems the top box you have is relatively small (?). Also…how much weight do you dare to carry in the top box when it's mounted like this? When it's raining, do you get water under the seat along the bolts?

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Positioning the top box so far forward wouldn't work for me because it makes throwing a leg over the bike a bit harder when your knees don't want to bend!

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Positioning the top box so far forward wouldn't work for me because it makes throwing a leg over the bike a bit harder when your knees don't want to bend!
You are right, JNO, this would be a disadvantage of this setup. Time to take some martial arts lessons (high kicks) :)

·
Registered
212 Posts
I'm only 5'5" tall. The seat on my CB1000R was 32.4" . Just get on and off the bike with the side stand down and you'll probably be fine :) .

·
Registered
212 Posts
Thanks, CBR300R. This is on my to-do list for the spring. I like that this positioning of the top box doesn't disturb the flow of the bike (the look of it) It seems the top box you have is relatively small (?). Also…how much weight do you dare to carry in the top box when it's mounted like this? When it's raining, do you get water under the seat along the bolts?
In my opinion a rack for the CB1000R just ruined the flow of the bike. Also, the majority of racks have a 5kg or 7kg weight limit and most top box manufacturers recommend a limited speed of 80mph.

I think the top box is 32 litres. I can fit a full face helmet in it.

My view was that with the top box fitted on the pillion seat I could carry the weight of a pillion! However, I'm not sure what weight I have carried, but my catch plate broke, so please be aware and you may want to strengthen the catch plate on the CBR300R.

There was no problem with any water getting under the seat on the CB1000R. The CB1000R is not a good wet weather bike. It gets very dirty with the slightest bit of rain and looks as though it's been ridden through a muddy field!

I'll post up some pictures of my CBR650FA seat which has a top box plate mounted to it when I get a chance. However the rider and pillion seat are a single unit so I have no concerns about the catch plate strength.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I'm only 5'5" tall. The seat on my CB1000R was 32.4" . Just get on and off the bike with the side stand down and you'll probably be fine :) .
I'm quite serious - my knees (and hips) are buggered. Chucking a leg over a bike involves a little dance and getting my leg swinging so that the momentum helps it get over the seat. Very undignified.

Anything on the back seat would get in the way of my leg because it doesn't bend much.

I always try to have the bike on the sidestand and, if possible, use any slope that's going the right way. Pathetic.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I'm quite serious - my knees (and hips) are buggered. Chucking a leg over a bike involves a little dance and getting my leg swinging so that the momentum helps it get over the seat. Very undignified.

Anything on the back seat would get in the way of my leg because it doesn't bend much.

I always try to have the bike on the sidestand and, if possible, use any slope that's going the right way. Pathetic.
Have you considered buying a collapsible stool?

I bought a collapsible stool because I thought I was going to have problems getting on and off my CRF250L which had a seat height of over 34" but I was fine.

Recently, I saw a pillion using a stool with a bungee attached so they could lift the stool up off the ground once seated and they bungeed the stool round their waist. Where there is a will, there is a way :) .

1 - 20 of 22 Posts