Honda CBR 300 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently purchased a new left over 2015 CBR300R and have already started modifying it. Its my wife's bike and she is only 5'1", so priority 1 was getting the seat height lower.

So far, I have completed the following:
Votex Lowering Links
PSR Adjustable Side Stand
Front Dropped 1"
Honda Lowering Seat
Honda Tail Bag

Next on the list is upgrading the lights. The plan is to install flush mount front LED turn signals, new mirrors with LED turn signals (to maintain visibility), an integrated LED tail light assembly, and a tail tidy kit.

For the LED flush mounts, can anyone confirm the CBR250R ones will work?

I have read that they will, but wanted to see if anyone has experience with the install to confirm.

After the light mods, I want to make the bike louder. As I said, its my wife's bike and she wants it loud. I can't swing for a full exhaust yet, but plan to in the future. I found this "exhaust", but want to make sure it'll NOT require a fuel controller.

2015-2016 Honda CBR 300R - Radiant Cycles

I understand this will basically be running it open header. I just want to know if going this route will require a fuel controller. Like I said, future mods will be hi flow air filter, full exhaust, and a fuel controller, but I want to do all three at the same time and right now that isn't an option.

Thank you all for the help.

Basic crap pic included. I'll post a more current one with the Mods when I get a chance.

·
Premium Member
5,460 Posts
Oh yeah you got the mod bug bad! :D

Well if your wife wants it loud then that is exactly what she will get with that chromed tip. Like you said it will essentially be an open pipe.

It will probably run but how much popping etc you get is a bit unknown. If you just remove your current OEM muffler and run the header only then this will give you your answer.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I hear you there. When I lowered it, I pulled the exhaust for access and ran it open header. Not my cup of tea.

I was able to find a video of that exhaust I linked on a CBR250R and I have to admit, it sounds like crap to me.

My main concern is getting a better volume out of the bike, however I don't want so much that I'm leaning the engine out too much. I'm not ready to do the fuel controller yet. I am really just looking for something easy to get a little more out of it till I spring for the air filter, full exhaust, fuel controller combo.

May just pony up for a decent slip on that I can combine with a good header pipe later on. She just wants more volume, but I don't want it to sound like crap.

Anyone that can comment on the lighting, it would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
So, mods previously completed:

Votex Lowering Links
PSR Adjustable Side Stand
Front Dropped 1"
Honda Lower Seat
Honda Tail Bag
Honda Carbon fuel filler cap (painted stock filler satin black prior to installing)

Photos attached.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
From there, the tear down begins...

Tail eliminator
Integrated LED Tail Light
LED Plate Light
Stock Front signals removed
LED signal mirrors
Flush LED front signals
Adjustable clutch/brake levels

More photos...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
And some finial photos with everything complete.

Have to say, I'm happy with the results to date and feel like I've got a lot done on it considering its low mileage and that I've only had it a month or so.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
From there, the tear down begins...

Tail eliminator
Integrated LED Tail Light
LED Plate Light
Stock Front signals removed
LED signal mirrors
Flush LED front signals
Adjustable clutch/brake levels

More photos...
Looking good. Did you have to bend the license plate up because you lowered the rear? Was there a clearance issue? Also what kind of spray did you use on all the chrome/alum parts?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Looking good. Did you have to bend the license plate up because you lowered the rear? Was there a clearance issue? Also what kind of spray did you use on all the chrome/alum parts?

It may have cleared without bending it up, but I didn't want to risk it. Bending it up didn't really effect anything and the number is still visible from the rear.

For the aluminum parts, I sprayed it all with an etching primer followed by a good Satin Black paint. For the exhaust, I used Satin Black BBQ Paint. I've used it on other motorcycles/cars and it has always held up really well. The lid on the can looks gloss, but it says Satin on the can and when complete and dried it is not a full gloss. I thought it matched the flat/satin look of the rest of the bike well.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
It may have cleared without bending it up, but I didn't want to risk it. Bending it up didn't really effect anything and the number is still visible from the rear.

For the aluminum parts, I sprayed it all with a etching primer followed by a good Satin Black paint. For the exhaust, I used Satin Black BBQ Paint. I've used it on other motorcycles/cars and it has always held up really well. The lid on the can looks gloss, but it says Satin on the can and when complete and dried it is not a full gloss. I thought it matched the flat/satin look of the rest of the bike well.
Yah I like that you sprayed the gas cap first before the carbon decal, looks much better.
You can adjust the preload setting on the rear shock a bit higher. It comes on setting 2 I believe. If you raise it to 3,4 or 5 it will stiffen it up a bit so the rear wheel won't come up so easily and hit the plate.

Would you by chance have a photo of the bike taken totally from a side view? I am just interested in seeing how the bike sits with the rear end lowered 1.25". Also, have you noticed your temp gauge reading hotter or the fan coming on constantly from having the front end lowered so much? Just wondering if it blocks off some air flow to the radiator

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yah I like that you sprayed the gas cap first before the carbon decal, looks much better.
You can adjust the preload setting on the rear shock a bit higher. It comes on setting 2 I believe. If you raise it to 3,4 or 5 it will stiffen it up a bit so the rear wheel won't come up so easily and hit the plate.

Would you by chance have a photo of the bike taken totally from a side view? I am just interested in seeing how the bike sits with the rear end lowered 1.25". Also, have you noticed your temp gauge reading hotter or the fan coming on constantly from having the front end lowered so much? Just wondering if it blocks off some air flow to the radiator

I thought about adjusting the shock, but I for now I am going to keep it where it is. There was a good amount of clearance when its all said and done. Biggest reason for the lowering is its my wife's bike and she is only 5' 1". As it sits now, she can get her feet on the ground and says she is a lot more comfortable on it. She rides the bike a lot, so I don't want to stiffen the rear shock up and give it a more harsh ride.

I don't have any photos from a full side profile, at least not with everything done on it. I will get some in the next day or so and throw them up.

As far as cooling goes, I have not noticed anything different. She has done some longer rides on it with me (I ride a CTX700). 100+ miles without stopping in 90+ heat and it never overheated nor did the temp gage rise more then what it did stock. I rode it in stop and go traffic through the city on a 90+ day, again no change.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
I thought about adjusting the shock, but I for now I am going to keep it where it is. There was a good amount of clearance when its all said and done. Biggest reason for the lowering is its my wife's bike and she is only 5' 1". As it sits now, she can get her feet on the ground and says she is a lot more comfortable on it. She rides the bike a lot, so I don't want to stiffen the rear shock up and give it a more harsh ride.

I don't have any photos from a full side profile, at least not with everything done on it. I will get some in the next day or so and throw them up.

As far as cooling goes, I have not noticed anything different. She has done some longer rides on it with me (I ride a CTX700). 100+ miles without stopping in 90+ heat and it never overheated nor did the temp gage rise more then what it did stock. I rode it in stop and go traffic through the city on a 90+ day, again no change.
Cool deal. Yah I was just wondering what it looks like from the side because I was thinking of getting the same vortex bars to lower mine. I have a leg disability and it's so hard for me to raise my leg this high and swing it over. So any drop would help. That's also a big reason I got this smaller bike, the size and weight factor

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Cool deal. Yah I was just wondering what it looks like from the side because I was thinking of getting the same vortex bars to lower mine. I have a leg disability and it's so hard for me to raise my leg this high and swing it over. So any drop would help. That's also a big reason I got this smaller bike, the size and weight factor

When I get home, I'll see what I can do about getting you that picture. I can say I am 5'10" 195 pounds and I ride it from time to time with it lowered no problem.

If you do lower it, you'll need an adjustable kickstand... I happen to have one for sale that is new in the sealed box never opened. ;)

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
When I get home, I'll see what I can do about getting you that picture. I can say I am 5'10" 195 pounds and I ride it from time to time with it lowered no problem.

If you do lower it, you'll need an adjustable kickstand... I happen to have one for sale that is new in the sealed box never opened. ;)
I am 6'1 a lil taller with my boots @ 195+. I already have the PSR chromed aluminum adjustable stand. I had to get it because the OEM stand interfered with my aftermarket rearsets. But like I said having bad legs (not just and old person thing, I mean a disabled thing) it is rather hard to swing my leg up and over the seat sometimes. Good to know that you can hop on it though, we are about the same size. It's only 1.25" so while it's not drastic anything will help and shouldn't alter the suspension geometry too much

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The moderators moved this thread into an area that is not accessible via the mobile view. Actually, the only way I can find it is by going through my user profile on a computer or by my user profile on my phone after selecting view "Full Version". Request this thread be moved to a location where I can actually access it.

Every other thread under this topic and subforum was moved to another section of the forum? Why did this thread get moved here?

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
The moderators moved this thread into an area that is not accessible via the mobile view. Actually, the only way I can find it is by going through my user profile on a computer or by my user profile on my phone after selecting view "Full Version". Request this thread be moved to a location where I can actually access it.

Every other thread under this topic and subforum was moved to another section of the forum? Why did this thread get moved here?[/QbuUOTE]
Oh that looks perfect. Doesn't look dropped too much. Some people get the 4" inch drop and it looks ridiculous hah. I dropped my front today 25mm, installed RaceTech springs and preload adjusters. Just waiting for my Vortex links, should be a couple days. That will drop the rear about 31mm. I wanted the back down just a tad more as I'm gonna bump up the preload a few notches too.
Thanks for the photos!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts