Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

What is the best way to get more HP & performance out of the cbr300r?

I saw a thread on cutting weight,,i am not sure on this as when I was on the highway the bike seemed very light already with the wind...

What is a good exhaust that is not very loud but will boost performance? anybody recccomnd a brand?

What else can I do outside of trying to cut as much weight as possible to get more performance?

Thanks ya'll for your replies :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Filter, exhaust, fuel prog that's about it. Exhausts would be Yoshimura, mgp, twin bro, fnf, Vance and hines. Find your budget pick the one you can afford. Not much to be had powe wise with this bike. Just don't get your hopes up

·
Super Moderator
3,009 Posts
There really is not much you can do to get much more HP from this engine... it is what it is.

A quality slip-on exhaust might gain a 1/2 to 1 HP over the stock muffler, but a slip-on will also be louder (and lighter). A full exhaust system, along with a programable fuel controller might give you 5-6 more HP, but your talking a $1000 or more to go that route.

You could always sell your CBR, and get a Yamaha R3 which has significantly more HP right off of the showroom floor... probably would cost less to do that than spending a bunch of money on the CBR chasing a few more HP.

Showroom horsepower will generally always cost less in the long run than aftermarket horsepower.

I'd recommend keeping your bike the way it is for now*, and focus on becoming a better, more proficient rider. If your having issues now with the light weight of the bike at highway speeds, your problem isn't needing more power or performance. What you need is more riding experience... more seat time. Take that as sound advise from an old guy who has been riding motorcycles for over 40 years. Becoming a proficient motorcyclist doesn't happen overnight, and anyone who tells you different is full of crap.

* I know you mentioned getting better tires... nothing wrong with that. I recommend the Michelin Pilot Street Radials... they are a big improvement over the stock IRC bias-ply tires, particularly in the wet.

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
What else can I do outside of trying to cut as much weight as possible to get more performance?
Buy a bigger bike. Esp if your riding with guys on larger bikes. There's not many near new examples of the 300 for sale so you may not lose too much on it.
As Motomike said, your dollar invested in an upgrade will reap you more satisfaction than trying to squeeze a few extra ponies out of a motor of 286cc displacement that hasn't much more to offer.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Buying a new bike is out of the question...Just want to upgrade the power a bit...looks like a full exhaust system is the way to go..

·
Super Moderator
3,009 Posts
Buying a new bike is out of the question...Just want to upgrade the power a bit...looks like a full exhaust system is the way to go..
Upgrade the skills of the rider first.

I have to backpedal from what I said in my previous post about getting a bike that already has more power. And put the urge to "upgrade" or "mod" your bike on the back burner for awhile.

I have to be blunt and to the point here: For someone who only a few weeks ago first started riding motorcycles, and who two weeks ago had to start a thread asking "What do I do with the fuel cap when refueling?", I don't think you are anywhere near ready for more power or performance. And if you're riding with guys who have bigger faster bikes, adding a few more HP to to your 300R isn't going to cut it anyway... they will still leave you in the dust and playing catch up.

Focus on becoming a better rider with the bike you've got now... start by taking a beginning rider safety course. Then, after you've gotten some seat time under your belt and you're ready, do an advanced rider skills course.

You'll thank me later.

·
Registered
96 Posts

<good advice snip>

You'll thank me later.

I think it sounds as if he wants his instant gratification right now. Not later. Later isn't now, it's later.

MM is giving you the best, honest, and seemingly, the most unwanted advice you 're gonna get. If you listen to him, you will thank him in the long run after you've taken the time required to properly hone your skills.

This isn't a game. It's your life. And, it's the lives of others should you low-side into oncoming traffic because you tried too hard, too fast, or cause someone else to wreck while trying to avoid you.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

I have to backpedal from what I said in my previous post about getting a bike that already has more power. And put the urge to "upgrade" or "mod" your bike on the back burner for awhile.

I have to be blunt and to the point here: For someone who only a few weeks ago first started riding motorcycles, and who two weeks ago had to start a thread asking "What do I do with the fuel cap when refueling?", I don't think you are anywhere near ready for more power or performance. And if you're riding with guys who have bigger faster bikes, adding a few more HP to to your 300R isn't going to cut it anyway... they will still leave you in the dust and playing catch up.

Focus on becoming a better rider with the bike you've got now... start by taking a beginning rider safety course. Then, after you've gotten some seat time under your belt and you're ready, do an advanced rider skills course.

You'll thank me later.

While I appreciate your advice, that is not related to what i have posted..I have driven Manuel cars for 15 years, and have had many scooters..

I have ridden bigger bikes like my friends 650 ( on the highway and street), and have been all over on my bike including highway, and riding everyday to work..

To say I am nowhere near ready for more power and performance makes you come off really arrogant. Riding a motorcycle is not rocket science.

I have also done the honda safety course already in thailand.

I want to have this bike for a many years and am willing to invest in it to upgrade it.

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
I want to have this bike for a many years and am willing to invest in it to upgrade it.
Thats cool, just be wary of some of the manufacturers claims about horse power gains with the full systems & slip ons. Ive heard claims of 4 -5 HP but independent dyno tests by the likes of cycleworld show it to be more like 1.5HP.

If you want to spend the coin then the path most beaten seems to be exhaust, air filter and fuel programmer.

Have a search on the cbr250.net site as guys on that site have been tweaking them for years now.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Filter, exhaust, fuel prog that's about it.
This is the route I took. I would recommend to anyone wanting a full exhaust (looking at you OP) to also get a fuel controller. Without the luxury of a dyno to confirm it, my bike performed worse when I just added the full exhaust. So bad in fact that I didn't even use the new air filter I had bought at the same time until I got the fuel controller installed.

This will cost 14,900 baht.

Copy Akropovic exhaust - 7500 baht

Air Filter - 1400 baht

Fuel Cont. - 6000 baht

Still don't have a dyno and I can count the times I've gone over 120 km/h on one hand but the low end power is much greater and when I go wide open while rolling in 2nd gear I have been known to shout in my helmet "Whooah!", "Hahahah!" and "See ya!"

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This is the route I took. I would recommend to anyone wanting a full exhaust (looking at you OP) to also get a fuel controller. Without the luxury of a dyno to confirm it, my bike performed worse when I just added the full exhaust. So bad in fact that I didn't even use the new air filter I had bought at the same time until I got the fuel controller installed.

This will cost 14,900 baht.

Copy Akropovic exhaust - 7500 baht

Air Filter - 1400 baht

Fuel Cont. - 6000 baht

Still don't have a dyno and I can count the times I've gone over 120 km/h on one hand but the low end power is much greater and when I go wide open while rolling in 2nd gear I have been known to shout in my helmet "Whooah!", "Hahahah!" and "See ya!"

Haha, love it..

What do you mean by copy Akropovic exhaust? is that some ghetto thai version of the real thing?

Also did you go to some shop in bangkok or thailand and buy all the parts and have it installed? if so, can you tell me where?

thanks bro

·
Registered
43 Posts
When you consider the engine is only 17.5 cubic inches and it makes about 30HP at the crank in stock form it is difficult to imagine how one would make significant improvements in the stock state of tune???

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
When you consider the engine is only 17.5 cubic inches and it makes about 30HP at the crank in stock form it is difficult to imagine how one would make significant improvements in the stock state of tune???
I don't speak your motorcycle languange lol

·
Registered
101 Posts
Haha, love it..

What do you mean by copy Akropovic exhaust? is that some ghetto thai version of the real thing?

Also did you go to some shop in bangkok or thailand and buy all the parts and have it installed? if so, can you tell me where?

thanks bro
I bought almost everything on my bike at K-Speed on Rama II in Bangkok. If you buy something there they will install it. They will also ship it EMS for cheap. My exhaust system is a Thai copy. Works good although some people will tell you that I'm wasting my money by not paying 4x as much for the real thing.

CB300F+CBR300R k_speed - k-speed

The fuel controller I got installed at a D-Tracker specialty shop that the EJK rep has some sort of working relationship with. I donated my bike for a day so they could program it for the 300 so currently I'm running alpha software and not an official fuel map.

EFI Controllers - Electronic Jet Kit - Motorcycles, ATVs, UTVs, Sportbikes, Snowmobiles, Watercraft, Dirt Bikes

They installed and tuned it and since I donated the bike it was free but it sells for 6000 and you can get the fuel map that my CB300 gave birth to. If you are interested I can PM you his phone number and you can send an SMS.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I don't speak your motorcycle languange lol
Are you related to Meelee? You don't understand what cubic inches are? Or HP? Or a crank? Stock tune?

I think you're the one cranking us. You're all over the map. "I love the bike, I hate the bike, I've ridden other bikes, I drive a manual,I don't understand the basics of driving a bike."

I say sell it, buy some lithium to level yourself out some. Then buy a bigger bike.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Any weight lost will feel like power gained to. If you are like me and can afford to loose a few pounds that helps, loosing weight from rotational mass makes a difference to. Things like lighter tyres, sprockets, rims, chains, pass grab handles, smaller mirrors, lighter smaller indicators Tail tidy.

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
Any weight lost will feel like power gained to. If you are like me and can afford to loose a few pounds that helps, loosing weight from rotational mass makes a difference to. Things like lighter tyres, sprockets, rims, chains, pass grab handles, smaller mirrors, lighter smaller indicators Tail tidy.
Add to that list lithium ion battery, aluminium clip ons, carbon fibre slip on and your lookin at 20-25 pounds lost and a nice increase in acceleration gained.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Are you related to Meelee? You don't understand what cubic inches are? Or HP? Or a crank? Stock tune?

I think you're the one cranking us. You're all over the map. "I love the bike, I hate the bike, I've ridden other bikes, I drive a manual,I don't understand the basics of driving a bike."

I say sell it, buy some lithium to level yourself out some. Then buy a bigger bike.
right on dude

1 - 20 of 58 Posts