Honda CBR 300 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm 21 and I live in Texas. I took the MSF class in May, passed and got my license easily. Before that I've rode just a couple times lower cc dirt bikes, and smaller scooters. Now I've wanted a bike since I was around 6 years old, and in May I was finally working for one.

I ended up moving away near Austin, Texas for college. I'm looking for a job, and I've already saved up quite a bit for a bike, I already got all my gear in June. From riding the 250cc bike for the msf course, and a friends personally to me its fast. In my car I don't ever go faster, and most speeds around my area now are 35 to 45, and the highway home to visit family in Houston is 2.3 hours with traffic going 75mph speed limit to 85mph in the left passing/fast lane.

I've sat on the r3, cbr300r, ninja 300, duke 390, and rc390 and they all feel great to me, perfect size I'm 5'7'' 145 pounds. I love the all red cbr300r, it looks amazing feels amazing, and it has ABS which I've heard is really worth it, and videos online showing it work vs non abs are like a given to me, why not get ABS. To me the dash on the R3 looks better, with the gear indicator, its just more expensive. I'm more leaning for the Honda CBR300r, because it feels great, mpg, price, abs and the color I want- all red.

Has anyone rode any of these bikes and can give a quick comparison with the cbr300r? I'm not looking for something extremely fast, so I've never bothered to look at 600cc +. thanks!

·
Registered
419 Posts
They are both good bikes, it will come down to personal preference. Can't beat Honda reliability if you don't care as much about the performance specs vs. the comparable models. You are small and light enough that the 300 will be a blast to ride. Personally I'd buy the Duke 390 (I prefer naked bikes), but can understand why many steer away due to the hooligan KTM paintjob. The R3 is also extremely well reviewed. I ended up with the CB300F for my wife because of her height and she preferred the seating position.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I havnt ridden the others, but I have a cbr300r and its my first real bike. (My other bike is a 74 Honda cb125s). I can only say that it's a phenomenal bike, and in all the shootouts and comparisons I've seen, the cbr300r might be the least powerful, but it's also the least expensive, and has the best brakes and suspension when compared to the others you mentioned, except maybe the duke (I've just never seen it compared to the duke). It also has that Honda reliability you can count on. Even for a sport bike, the seating position is a little more upright and comfortable than a lot of the others, and if that's your thing, the cb300f offers an even more upright position in a mechanically identical bike. I know that all these bikes are relatively new to the market, but if someone you know has any of them I would reccomend taking a test ride on one or more of them (for some reason motorcycle test rides aren't commonplace the way car test drives at dealerships are) and see what you like. At the end of the day, they are all great bikes and each has their pros and cons. Since you've found your way to this forum though, I think you'll find most people here are going to side with the Honda cbr300r or cb300f

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I havnt ridden the others, but I have a cbr300r and its my first real bike. (My other bike is a 74 Honda cb125s). I can only say that it's a phenomenal bike, and in all the shootouts and comparisons I've seen, the cbr300r might be the least powerful, but it's also the least expensive, and has the best brakes and suspension when compared to the others you mentioned, except maybe the duke (I've just never seen it compared to the duke). It also has that Honda reliability you can count on. Even for a sport bike, the seating position is a little more upright and comfortable than a lot of the others, and if that's your thing, the cb300f offers an even more upright position in a mechanically identical bike. I know that all these bikes are relatively new to the market, but if someone you know has any of them I would reccomend taking a test ride on one or more of them (for some reason motorcycle test rides aren't commonplace the way car test drives at dealerships are) and see what you like. At the end of the day, they are all great bikes and each has their pros and cons. Since you've found your way to this forum though, I think you'll find most people here are going to side with the Honda cbr300r or cb300f
Thanks for your reply! Yeah my local dealerships doesn't let you test drive them but after watching more videos and looking at this forum I think I'm going to side with the cbr300r. I like how its Honda, reliable like you and many others have said, and I really want to join the community. Just by looking at the other bikes, the cbr300r all red really just stands out to me. It's a beautiful bike, and its cheaper than the others. Because I'm not into riding for an all out how fast you can go machine, I enjoy the ride and feeling free. Thanks! I wish there were just more cbr300r motovloggers!! I think ive watched every youtube video I could find on it :/

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Sorry, but I'm going to throw a spanner in the works and say you should buy.......none of them.

I always advise new riders that they simply cannot know what type of bike suits them, unless they have zero interest in bikes, in which case it's just two-wheeled white goods and anything will do. If however, you like bikes as something fun to do, I always suggest a secondhand bike first. There are two reasons.

The first is that your first bike is the one you use to learn falling off and dropping the darn thing in car parks. We've all done it. I note though that you've already owned a 125, so maybe this isn't such a biggie, though the step up to 300cc still means you have some learning to do. It's a shame to do this to a shiny new bike.

The second is that you stand to lose more money if you buy new and then, a year or even less later, decide you REALLY like this biking malarky but would prefer to sit more upright, or something with more power, or a cruiser, or...... If you bought a used bike, you lose less when you sell it. Simple.

Of course you might be that rare soul who knows with perfect clarity just what you want, in which case go for it!

·
Registered
282 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum. I'm unsure at this stage as to whether your are male or female? Not that it make any difference in the big scheme of things, however. There is a great deal of difference when it comes to sense and sensibility.
Firstly if you are male, then you will be sucked in by all the macho bullsh1t and be swept away with the figures and possibly end up with the wrong bike.
Secondly if you are female you will take a more pragmatic approach and look for other features that will be of more use to you, things like fit which is most important over anything else. Not all bike fit all people. You will also consider cost of purchase, cost of ownership, weight, comfort etc.
Now out of all of the bikes you list the only comparison is between the KTM and the Honda as they are both single cylinder machines. The others are twins and completely different kettles of fish. the way they produce power, they way they ride in general and the cost of having the extra cylinder can generate.
You leaning towards the Honda shows a sense of forethought A well ridden CBR can easily out perform the others any day of the week and it what you get out of riding the bike that counts.
So if your heart says Honda then go with it you won't be disappointed.
Trust me I'm a Doctor.;)

·
Registered
282 Posts
yeap just like him. but better looking.:D
BTW I have just noticed I'm a senior member. That's a bit ageist isn't it?:eek:

·
Registered
59 Posts
In my opinion, wait until the winter then buy a used cbr300r with low miles at a steal

The cbr300r is a wonderful bike to learn on. It's wonderful for city riding. It's inexpensive and gets outstanding gas milage, even in high rpms.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I own the CB300F and I've ridden all the bikes on your list and owned the R3 and Ninja 300. They are all slightly different with the shorter seat height of the Hondas being important considerations along with the lighter weight of the CB300F and Duke 390....for me too, since I'm also 5'7" and 145 lbs. Another thing to think about is dealerships. There aren't many KTM dealerships around. Austin does have one though. Honda, Yamaha, and Kawasaki dealers are everywhere just in case you plan to move. I live in New Braunfels and Austin is the closest KTM dealership, but I can buy and service the Japanese bikes at 3 different dealerships within 12 miles of me. The CB300F is slightly slower than the others for highway riding and anything over an indicated 75mph seems a little fast. The R3 and Ninja300 will do fine at 85 mph if you want to do that for a lot of miles and since they have fairings and slightly larger engines than the Honda. There should be some used 250rs, Ninja 250s, and even 300s around that would probably save you some money. Many new riders want more power and faster acceleration after just a few weeks of riding the smaller bikes, and like JNO says, you are likely to drop the bike a few times the first few weeks or months. My personal favorite of all the bikes you mentioned is the CB300F.

·
Premium Member
5,454 Posts
yeap just like him. but better looking.:D
BTW I have just noticed I'm a senior member. That's a bit ageist isn't it?:eek:
We all have to surrender gracefully. :D

Not sure how the whole junior/senior thing works. I'm guessing it works on post count and I see you have 203, so maybe 200 is the change point.

It's all down hill from here buddy...
that's OK tho, we all know downhill makes for better top speeds! :laugh:

·
Registered
282 Posts
We all have to surrender gracefully. :D

Not sure how the whole junior/senior thing works. I'm guessing it works on post count and I see you have 203, so maybe 200 is the change point.

It's all down hill from here buddy...
that's OK tho, we all know downhill makes for better top speeds! :laugh:
its a slippery slope alright! a less than graceful slide into, incontinence pants, dementure, and a turbo charged Zimmer frame. (Injection is nice but I'd rather be blown):devil:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts