Honda CBR 300 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If anyone is thinking about getting a pinlock lens for their helmet, I would highly recommend one. I was out for a few hours in about 40-50 degree weather and my visor did not fog once.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I would 2nd this if you ride in cold weather. My last 2 helmets had that and I regularly ride into the 20s (F) never once had the pinlock portion fog up.

·
Registered
487 Posts
yeah I really like it too. It did get fogged up after installing a large windshield. It needs just a little circulation to stay fog free. The main thing I don't like is cleaning it. I usually clean face shields under running water. Water ends up between the lenses and will fog up so have to separate them.

·
Banned
1,070 Posts
If anyone is thinking about getting a pinlock lens for their helmet, I would highly recommend one. I was out for a few hours in about 40-50 degree weather and my visor did not fog once.
My Shark Helmet came with a pinlock system and I find it works just fine and no fogging up. I also use a visor cleaner when needed and it only takes 10 seconds to remove the inner visor + another 10 sec to put back.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Agreed, best solution out there for anti-fog. I've tried the sprays and coatings but nothing has worked as well as the pinlock. If you have the option for your helmet, do it, you won't regret it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
The pin lock works fine. Indispensible getting down around freezing and below. However, my glasses still fog so I still have to lift the shield at stops.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just got a pin lock insert for my HJC-CL17. I got the transition lens that tints in the sunlight. It does not get as dark as I'd like on my clear face shield so I thought about putting it on a light smoke face shield. Has anyone tried this? Will it still tint? Is the light smoke to dark for riding at night? What do you guys use to beat the glaring sun? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
I just got a pin lock insert for my HJC-CL17. I got the transition lens that tints in the sunlight. It does not get as dark as I'd like on my clear face shield so I thought about putting it on a light smoke face shield. Has anyone tried this? Will it still tint? Is the light smoke too dark for riding at night? What do you guys use to beat the glaring sun? Thanks.
I've found that riding at night with any sort of tinted shield is a bad idea as it makes seeing anything outside of your headlight beam difficult.

I use a dark tinted shield for daytime riding, along with sunglasses on bright sunny days. While I rarely ride at night, if I think I might be out after dark I'll carry my clear shield in my tail bag and just switch it out at dusk.

Another thing that really helps if you happen to be out late in the day and are riding into the sun when it's low on the horizon, is using a vinyl strip across the top of the shield. Works much like the flip down sun visors in a car to block the sun. On my dark tinted shield I used a Honda decal that I happened to have lying around...

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks for these ideas MotoMike. I really like that Honda sticker on the shield.
The shield on my helmet is really easy to take off so the two shields may be my best option for now. I don't ride at night much either so I wouldn't have to carry it all the time.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I also have an HJC CL-17 that came with a pinlock shield. I live in a damp climate, and bought my CBR in the fall, so I have been completely sold on it. Little or no fogging, except occasionally for my glasses. (Interestingly, the online store where I got the helmet specifically stated that the helmet's shield was pinlock ready, but did not include the shield. Yet there it was in the factory-sealed HJC box.)

As for tint, I have so far done just fine with my transitions-lensed glasses under a clear shield, but summer isn't here yet. It is often overcast here, and even when sunny, the roads are in the mountains, through the trees, or both, so no direct sun. In the past, in sunnier climes, I have done as MotoMike--worn a tint and carried a spare clear. I will do that again if need be; the HJC is just way too easy to swap shields on, and I don't think I'll need the pinlock if I need the tinted.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm a huge fan of pinlock AND an internal flip-down sun visor. Both of my helmets have this feature and I wouldn't buy another without it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts