Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's not the oil drain plug it's a flat top plug that requires a star tool to tighten or loosen. Its located right above the exhaust on the underside of the engine. I'm going to try to upload a picture of it. Ir seeped the oil pictured over the course of a 50 mile ride. Does anyone know how this leak can be fixed? The bike only has 4800 miles on it and I just bought it from the original owner.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,341 Posts
I'm not sure what that plug does. It could be attached to something important on the other side perhaps.
If not I would just drain your oil and remove that plug and wrap some thread tape around the thread and screw back in.
Would be good to know what it is for first though. Someone else on here may know.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Are these photos of 1 or 2 plugs?? I see oil coming from above on two of the photos.. and oil below on the other photo. The two photos with oil above the plug appear to be catching the oil from somewhere above either leaking of blowing it off. Any possibility you could take a closer look to see if you possibly have an exhaust leak or another origin of oil/fluids, that happens to be draining down or blowing onto this plug?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The 3 photos are of the same plug, I cleaned the bottom of the engine off and took the 50 mile ride and this is the only spot with oil and I could see where it was seeping out a bit around the plug and running back. I can try to get some better pictures by taking the fairing off.

·
Registered
261 Posts
It would be helpful to know what it is, and without knowing which side of the engine or what it's close to, I can't find it in a schematic. If you can't tighten it in place, I'd follow KiwiRider's suggestion. Not sure it's leaking enough to make an early oil change, that's up to you. Ideal would be to keep an eye on it, and the oil level in the sight glass. Then do as above during the normal oil change. .

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It would be helpful to know what it is, and without knowing which side of the engine or what it's close to, I can't find it in a schematic. If you can't tighten it in place, I'd follow KiwiRider's suggestion. Not sure it's leaking enough to make an early oil change, that's up to you. Ideal would be to keep an eye on it, and the oil level in the sight glass. Then do as above during the normal oil change. .
I'm including two new pictures with the exhaust and the fairings off of the bottom. I have circled the drain plug with green as it is not leaking. I circled the leaking plug in red, and as a reference point I circled the oil eyeglass in purple which is located on the right side of the bike. I also noticed that the drain plug has a crush washer and this plug does not. But to get to this plug you have to take the exhaust off and with the previous owner being a beginner and her first bike i dont think she did that plus it didmt seem like any of these bolts had been loosened before no Mark's on the nuts or anything. I tried to tighten the plug and it was plenty tight, I loosened it a tad and it was hard to do so and made the snap noise a tight bolt can make when it comes loose. I then tightened it to about 12-15 ft lbs. So now I'm thinking on if I want to just put it back together and ride until the next oil change or just change it now, take that plug out and either add a crush washer or some of that tape so that I can resolve the issue now.

Attachments

·
Registered
261 Posts
I have a schematic below. It looks like part # 2, sealing bolt (16mm).. No washer listed. Maybe a sealing paste or teflon tape may help when you attend to it while doing the next oil change. Good Luck.

·
Registered
2017 Honda CB300FAH (ABS)
16 Posts
The plug is visible at 4:26 on lightningfrog27's video. That star bolt is called a "Torx" head.

I lay down under my CB300F to check it's size and, as you note, it's right above the exhaust pipe and pretty inaccessible. Are you sure your oil leak is from the bolt? It's on the underside of the engine at a low point. Your photo shows a trail on the leak. I'm sure you've checked but to me it looks like it might be leaking from somewhere higher and travelling downwards to the bolt. My .02.

BTW - If you need a Torx bit socket set, Home Depot sells a Husky 1/4 and 3/8 in. Drive Torx Bit Socket Set (11-Piece) for $20 that is about half the price of comparable sets. (I also have an old Jeep and they're Torx crazy.)

Good luck.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I feared i had a leak about a year ago. It looked similar to yours. But then I found out that it was just chain lube that had flicked off and had made me believe there was an oil leak.

So if you have recently lubed your chain I would advise you to wipe the chain down with a balled up newspaper and go for another ride and see (Also clean the engine first before going on the ride to remove the older oil stains).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts