Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

181 - 200 of 203 Posts

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
It seems that a fair amount of Press and the general Public give the Honda 300 series of bikes ....especially the 300 R some grief for average engine performance compared to "other brands" of the same displacement. But myself I have always loved the style of the Honda 300 R..much more then the CBR 250 it replaced. I think myself that Mikal's 300 R is just an great example of how beautiful in my opinion the lines of the bike are and to many a overlooked fantastic little "Beginner Bike" Great job Mikal.....God that 300 looks sexy as ****.
Thanks, Bro! I decided a long time ago that I'm keeping it till it just won't run anymore lol I love the bike. I'm not gonna cry because I have 5-10 less HP than some other bike out there that I might never see on the road first of all, and will probably never be in a race with either. It has enough umph for me to get around town and have fun.

Currently I am redoing my brakes. Painted Calipers, HH sintered Pads, Wavy Rotors, and all Ti Bolts. Starting with the back first because those pads are super worn down. Then I'll do the front a bit later because those pads still have a decent amount of meat on them...that's unusual, right? I use my front/rear brakes about 50:50

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
I wonder if CBR 500 R rotors might fit??

Reactions: atown8605

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Painting the Caliper currently the same "gold" color as the Master Cylinder I painted in the pic. Gold Titanium bolts all around. The reason I decided on Gold is that I just put the Gold chain on the other side so I decided to spread the color around on both sides lol
Painted the Caliper Bracket silver. On the Caliper I used VHT Paint Stripper which worked excellent. Sprayed it on and it bubbles up and just brushed it off with a brass brush, done in 5 minutes. Then sprayed a lot of brake cleaner on it. The Paint I'm using is Dupli-Color "engine enamel primer", Dupli-color "caliper paint", and Dupli-color "clear gloss". Both are high heat paints. I would highly recommend Dupli-color and VHT Caliper Paints, both the spray and brush on versions
The Rotor is Carbon Steel, not Chinese "Steel" lol

·
Registered
274 Posts
I stopped by local dealer to test ride Yamahas and saw our little CBR parked, waiting to be picked up by its owner. He must LOVE his bike very much because it was dropped off at the dealership to be repainted BLUE with CRUSHED DIAMONDS!! :eek: :)

I wonder if owner of the bike is a member here? ;)

·
Premium Member
5,340 Posts
I stopped by local dealer to test ride Yamahas and saw our little CBR parked, waiting to be picked up by its owner. He must LOVE his bike very much because it was dropped off at the dealership to be repainted BLUE with CRUSHED DIAMONDS!! :eek: :)

I like the blue but too much sparkle for me.
Did you test ride an R3?

·
Registered
2,565 Posts

Maybe a....SHE who owns it..;)

·
Registered
274 Posts
I like the blue but too much sparkle for me.
Did you test ride an R3?
I rode R3, MT-07, XSR700 and Super Tenere.
I really enjoyed XSR700 - the power distribution (it seemed like MT-07 was torquer down range??) and sitting position suited me very well. I didn't like Super Tenere at all - very top heavy and windscreen was creating some very uncomfortable buffeting.
In the end though, the R3 was the most fun bike. I guess, riding CBR300, I got used to light weight and going through the gears. It was quite boring on more powerful models to sit in 4th gear cruising AND I could feel the weight difference. :)

Maybe a....SHE who owns it..;)
Haha, quite possible. :D

·
Premium Member
5,340 Posts
I rode R3, MT-07, XSR700 and Super Tenere.
I really enjoyed XSR700 - the power distribution (it seemed like MT-07 was torquer down range??) and sitting position suited me very well. I didn't like Super Tenere at all - very top heavy and windscreen was creating some very uncomfortable buffeting.
In the end though, the R3 was the most fun bike. I guess, riding CBR300, I got used to light weight and going through the gears. It was quite boring on more powerful models to sit in 4th gear cruising AND I could feel the weight difference. :)
To keep this thread on topic I have replied to you here: http://www.cbr300forum.com/forum/honda-cbr300-versus-competition/2426-cbr300r-vs-r3-vs-ninja-300-a.html

·
Registered
310 Posts
Put about 300 miles on the baby Honda so far, about half of that today(!) :)

Have installed the obligatory frame sliders, bar-end mirrors, and adjustable levers. In the process of a DIY tail tidy (so far, removed the main plastic fender piece. Looking to fab something to cover the turn signal wiring). Will likely pick up the Yoshi tidy kit at some point, but thought I might have a go at it before forking out the cash.

Initial thoughts as a totally new rider: Yes, the naked 300 is much happier under 60 than it is over 60, in terms of wind buffeting and vibrations. I have no experience with a 2-cyclinder+ bike to compare, but I'm used to ill-riding race-prepped cars... ..and this is like straddling a sewing machine down the highway. I'm interested to see whether synthetic oil helps with any of the racket.

I've also discovered that I need a quieter helmet. I cheaped out with a SNELL-rated HJC, but the wind noise today has caused a massive headache and I'm immediately seeking recommendations for something higher quality in the helmet department.

With longer stints between stops and the removal of the stock bar end weights, my hands get fatigued by the vibration. I picked up cheapo eBay mirrors to try the bar-end location out, and they function great, but I'd prefer to keep/add back the bar-end weight (although I mangled the original ones I removed a bit.. one was loctited). Any thoughts/experience here appreciated.

I love how light the bike feels, and there's plenty of acceleration for hooligan-ism...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,340 Posts
Put about 300 miles on the baby Honda so far, about half of that today(!) :)

Have installed the obligatory frame sliders, bar-end mirrors, and adjustable levers. In the process of a DIY tail tidy (so far, removed the main plastic fender piece. Looking to fab something to cover the turn signal wiring). Will likely pick up the Yoshi tidy kit at some point, but thought I might have a go at it before forking out the cash.

Initial thoughts as a totally new rider: Yes, the naked 300 is much happier under 60 than it is over 60, in terms of wind buffeting and vibrations. I have no experience with a 2-cyclinder+ bike to compare, but I'm used to ill-riding race-prepped cars... ..and this is like straddling a sewing machine down the highway. I'm interested to see whether synthetic oil helps with any of the racket.

I've also discovered that I need a quieter helmet. I cheaped out with a SNELL-rated HJC, but the wind noise today has caused a massive headache and I'm immediately seeking recommendations for something higher quality in the helmet department.

With longer stints between stops and the removal of the stock bar end weights, my hands get fatigued by the vibration. I picked up cheapo eBay mirrors to try the bar-end location out, and they function great, but I'd prefer to keep/add back the bar-end weight (although I mangled the original ones I removed a bit.. one was loctited). Any thoughts/experience here appreciated.

I love how light the bike feels, and there's plenty of acceleration for hooligan-ism...
Looks better with the bar ends IMO. Funny, I had bar ends and the vibration didnt bother me overly.

I know what you mean about cheap helmets. On the road I use Shoei helmets which I find reasonably quiet (though i still wear ear plugs as i always have) but I recently bought a Airoh helmet for racing with. Ticks the boxes for the racing stuff but I tried it out on the road and it was disappointing compared to the Shoei. Less comfortable, noisier and the visor didnt fit so snugly and seal 100%. Even the ratcheting on the visor felt cheap. Overall it just lacked the refinement of a Japanese made helmet.
I don't want to sound like a helmet snob but that was my observations.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Finally got the bike back from the **** shop! Running great with an oil change, new head and cam. Looks like they oiled the chain, and adjusted the shifter lever. I threw on the Yoshi tail tidy and some grip puppies this afternoon. The tail delete is definitely a "one beer" job, and after seeing how well the Yoshimura fender delete strips excessive weight and blends into the lines of the rear of the bike—this ought to be stock—I'm stoked. I figured the latter (grips) would be a nice "sprucing up" gift for the bike, and help to reduce vibration. I also finally removed the the sticker residue from those **** safety notices plastered below the gas cap so the tank looks nice and gorgeous like it should.

Have a full Yoshimura exhaust, K&N, and Dynojet PCFC dyno-tuned for the modifications in the mail.

I've been trying to get in touch with the guy on this forum also in Minneapolis with parts and a Puig windscreen but I can't post in the FS forums. :crying:

Attachments

·
Registered
401 Posts
here are some photos of my bike
Hi,

I had that same Kabuto Helmet but ended up sending it back because the visor lid was "too loud" when it snapped shut. And also I did not like fiddling around with the button snap at the end. When there is a button snap it make it more difficult to feed the strap thru the D-ring.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Some more images... Thought the brick wall in the background makes the red bike pop even more. Looks aggressive, I feel.

Hope this helps new members. :)

I keep looking at this red bike thinking how cool it looks, then laugh to myself when I remember my bike looks identical! It's been over a year and I still don't get tired looking at it!

181 - 200 of 203 Posts