Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

Registered
2015 CBR300R
Discussion Starter #1
So before you judge me based on the title.... I'm going to be looking into a new bike soon but the 300 community will NOT lose a member! It will just trade one off. I have been talking with my wife for a while about it and finally got her on the bike in a nice safe environment and she absolutely loved it! She wants to continue to learn and ride and I think its wonderful. She wants to take the 300 from me and that allows me to get something slightly bigger! I don't believe in anything 600 or above because I enjoy rowing gears and I will never reach speeds they can attain. My main choices right now are the CBR500R and the Ninja 400. I like them both and am leaning towards the 400 because its technically "faster". I know Kiwi has some obvious first hand exp with the 400 and I would love your input! Anyone else who has any on the 2 bike would also be appreciated! This won't happen until around june of next year though so I have plenty of time to teach her and get her and I to a class of some sort as I still want to go as well as time to make my decision. Thanks for reading!!!

Registered
2019 CBR300R (Black/Red)
I love my 300r. But the plastics are a pain in the b**** to deal with every time I want to do a mod. I'm going naked for my next bike for sure. The z400s are pretty in my opinion. But by the time I can afford an upgrade I'll be old enough for a Harley D 馃榿
Props for teaching your female how to ride. Mine won't even 2 up with me.

Registered
Mike from Central NC. The CBR300 is a well made and reliable motorcycle, that's hard to beat for the price and cost of operation. It's really a great bike. The Ninja/Z 400s are also nice bikes, and are indeed a step up in HP from the CBR300s. Add-on mods are abundant from numerous vendors if you choose to go that route. Kawi has had plenty of experience with the smaller Ninja 300 before introducing the N400 in 2018, as basically the same bike upgraded with the larger engine.
You may get a better feel for the Kawi if you took some time to have a looky-loo through the Ninja400 Riders Forum to get their input concerning the bike. Good luck with your decision and ride safe.

Registered
I love my 300r. But the plastics are a pain in the b**** to deal with every time I want to do a mod. . But by the time I can afford an upgrade I'll be old enough for a Harley D 馃榿
Props for teaching your female how to ride. Mine won't even 2 up with me.
I don't find the plastics much of a problem. I can remove and refit either side in about 10-15 minutes so for me the benefit of weather protection is great. I'm 81 so need a bit of weather protection for the old bones but I'll never be old enough for a Harley.( Also remember thet 85% of all Harleys ever made are still on the road. The other 15% made it back home.:oops::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:)

Registered
2019 CBR300R (Black/Red)
I don't find the plastics much of a problem. I can remove and refit either side in about 10-15 minutes so for me the benefit of weather protection is great. I'm 81 so need a bit of weather protection for the old bones but I'll never be old enough for a Harley.( Also remember thet 85% of all Harleys ever made are still on the road. The other 15% made it back home.:oops::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:)
Now that's funny! I ain't heard that one before.
I'm a little slow when it comes to things. My oil change & ejk install yesterday took a good 5 hours 馃槕
But I got it done and that's what matters. 4,500 miles in 7 months. I love this bike

Registered
I don't know if I would go for a CBR500 or a Ninja 400/Z400 myself if coming from a CBR300.

My personal plan was eventually to move to a CRF450L (however due to finances I have to keep the 300 for now) because that's all the bike that I think I realistically need on the street and light trails/fire roads.

In terms of street bikes, from a 300 I would want to go up to a 650F or 599 Hornet and skip those other bikes that I consider as "stepping stones" to a middle weight (note not a 600RR high strung race bike but something tame and reasonable for the street).

Registered
2015 CBR300R
Discussion Starter #7
I don't know if I would go for a CBR500 or a Ninja 400/Z400 myself if coming from a CBR300.

My personal plan was eventually to move to a CRF450L (however due to finances I have to keep the 300 for now) because that's all the bike that I think I realistically need on the street and light trails/fire roads.

In terms of street bikes, from a 300 I would want to go up to a 650F or 599 Hornet and skip those other bikes that I consider as "stepping stones" to a middle weight (note not a 600RR high strung race bike but something tame and reasonable for the street).
See I feel you there, but even the 650r is a 97hp inline 4. It's still a little much then I personally want. I don't feel that I can utilize all of the bike then it's really not worth it. And then price will also come into play. I love the feel of my 300 but I just want a little bit more if that makes sense. I would rather have the 4 or 500 that I can drive the absolute dog piss out of than something bigger where i "can't" or "shouldn't".

Registered
2015 CBR300R
Discussion Starter #8
Mike from Central NC. The CBR300 is a well made and reliable motorcycle, that's hard to beat for the price and cost of operation. It's really a great bike. The Ninja/Z 400s are also nice bikes, and are indeed a step up in HP from the CBR300s. Add-on mods are abundant from numerous vendors if you choose to go that route. Kawi has had plenty of experience with the smaller Ninja 300 before introducing the N400 in 2018, as basically the same bike upgraded with the larger engine.
You may get a better feel for the Kawi if you took some time to have a looky-loo through the Ninja400 Riders Forum to get their input concerning the bike. Good luck with your decision and ride safe.
I'll definitely check it out. I've been comparing the 2 all over the internet looking. I'll check that and the 500 forum as well. As it gets closer to my projected purchase date I'm gonna schedule test rides if I can and hopefully that'll help me out

Registered
See I feel you there, but even the 650r is a 97hp inline 4. It's still a little much then I personally want. I don't feel that I can utilize all of the bike then it's really not worth it. And then price will also come into play. I love the feel of my 300 but I just want a little bit more if that makes sense. I would rather have the 4 or 500 that I can drive the absolute dog piss out of than something bigger where i "can't" or "shouldn't".
Which is a fair enough train of thought and also part of the reason I'm going for the CRF450 myself, it only makes 38HP and 27 lb*ft while the CBR300 makes 30 hp and 20 lb*ft (plus I want to do some adv and light trail riding while also being road legal and also want to sort of do a SuMo thing). I'm not one of those guys that says turbo busa and R1 are the best beginner bikes ever but in my mind, why get a CB500 when for a bit more (if you can call a $2000 difference "a bit") you can get a CB650. I get it's fun to pin it ride a slow bike fast but there's something in my mind that it's not "significant enough" of an upgrade to go from a 300 (286cc) to a 500 (470cc) despite the 500 making just over 50% more horsepower and 40% more torque.

I sort of know why Honda did it (because they're a business and are in the business of selling things to make money) but IMO instead of expanding the number of models they have across the globe they should have really just brought over the CB400 Super Four to NA and been done with it. They way their NA standard/sportbike/supersport lineup could have been Grom/Monkey/CBR125, 250, CB400 Super Four (as an answer to the Kawi 300 and 400), 599/650F/650R, 600RR, 1000F, and Fireblade. ie. skip doing a stroker on the 250 and skip the 500 in order to simplify their supply chain/number of sku's they have to manage. Plus the 08+ CB400SF is fuel injected not carbed so should be able to pass emissions no problem unlike other "legacy bikes" that the other companies have to keep exactly the same year over year because they won't have a snowballs chance in hell to pass modern day emissions.

Registered
2015 CBR300R
Discussion Starter #10
Which is a fair enough train of thought and also part of the reason I'm going for the CRF450 myself, it only makes 38HP and 27 lb*ft while the CBR300 makes 30 hp and 20 lb*ft (plus I want to do some adv and light trail riding while also being road legal and also want to sort of do a SuMo thing). I'm not one of those guys that says turbo busa and R1 are the best beginner bikes ever but in my mind, why get a CB500 when for a bit more (if you can call a $2000 difference "a bit") you can get a CB650. I get it's fun to pin it ride a slow bike fast but there's something in my mind that it's not "significant enough" of an upgrade to go from a 300 (286cc) to a 500 (470cc) despite the 500 making just over 50% more horsepower and 40% more torque.

I sort of know why Honda did it (because they're a business and are in the business of selling things to make money) but IMO instead of expanding the number of models they have across the globe they should have really just brought over the CB400 Super Four to NA and been done with it. They way their NA standard/sportbike/supersport lineup could have been Grom/Monkey/CBR125, 250, CB400 Super Four (as an answer to the Kawi 300 and 400), 599/650F/650R, 600RR, 1000F, and Fireblade. ie. skip doing a stroker on the 250 and skip the 500 in order to simplify their supply chain/number of sku's they have to manage. Plus the 08+ CB400SF is fuel injected not carbed so should be able to pass emissions no problem unlike other "legacy bikes" that the other companies have to keep exactly the same year over year because they won't have a snowballs chance in hell to pass modern day emissions.
And I feel you there too. That's also why I'm leaning more towards the 400 because it's 1600 cheaper than the 500 and slightly faster on paper. I think the 300 is an absolute perfect bike as it gets to the speeds I'll attain but since my wife wants to get into it all might as well use it as an opportunity to get something still in her class and better performance. I agree that honda needs to have a better middle ground. Honestly they could have just made the 500 closer to a good 60-70 hp and had a great upgrade for the price in comparison to the 300 without going up a class to the 600 range of bike.

Premium Member
And I feel you there too. That's also why I'm leaning more towards the 400 because it's 1600 cheaper than the 500 and slightly faster on paper. I think the 300 is an absolute perfect bike as it gets to the speeds I'll attain but since my wife wants to get into it all might as well use it as an opportunity to get something still in her class and better performance. I agree that honda needs to have a better middle ground. Honestly they could have just made the 500 closer to a good 60-70 hp and had a great upgrade for the price in comparison to the 300 without going up a class to the 600 range of bike.
The Ninja is a lot more agile and quick handling compared to the 500. Plus it's only slightly heavier than the 300 whereas the 500 is the same weight as some of the 650cc bikes. You'd be going from 31HP to 48 so it's significant and I dont think you'd be bored with it in a hurry and wish you'd bought a 650cc bike. I've seen 125MPH on the clock on mine, they're no slug lol. And if it's $1600 cheaper then that's a nice bonus. One of the biggest differences I noticed between getting off the 300r and onto the Ninja was the increased stability. It has more of a planted on the road feeling, not so nervous like small, light weight bikes can be. Dunno if it's the 41mm forks or the frame technology/geometry or the 150 rear tyre (Dunlop Sportmax) or a combo of a lot of factors but it's immediately noticeable.

Registered
.( Also remember thet 85% of all Harleys ever made are still on the road. The other 15% made it back home.:oops::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:)
**True story... Not so many years ago, Myrtle Beach, SC held an annual motorcycle rally sponsored, in part, by the local HD dealership. Huge rally and attendance from far and wide. The local Walmart in Conway, SC seemed to be a great place to unload the motorcycles from their trailers, then "Ride In From" parts unknown... It was about a about 30 minute ride to arrive at the "Rally" while the other passengers continued with the truck and trailer to the motel to park and meet up later. Who knew.. Yeah, I've never been too impressed with the "Great HD Experience" either. :sneaky:

That "**True Story" designation is to let you know... This post is, as usual, mostly BS, but with bit more truth than usual.:whistle:

Registered
The Ninja is a lot more agile and quick handling compared to the 500. Plus it's only slightly heavier than the 300 whereas the 500 is the same weight as some of the 650cc bikes.
True. But the CBr500 has been around for years, and is still rock solid dependable....
Sometimes.... Voluptuous and Reliable is be more appealing than Lean and Promiscuous. ;)

Registered
Going new or used? My suspicion would be the CBR500 might be the better deal on the used market.

Registered
2015 CBR300R
Discussion Starter #15
Going new or used? My suspicion would be the CBR500 might be the better deal on the used market.
That's The million dollar question right there. I'm leaning towards new because warranty and either way I go this one will have to be financed and unless the dealer has something going on I don't want to get anything that's not going to work out in my favor. And on top of that just looking at what's within a decent driving distance a lot of dealers I've seen that have the 500 still want close to 5 for it even with 15000+ miles.

Registered
Around here, on the used market, the Ninja 400 commands a premium in comparison to a glut of the older 300s (and 250s). While the 500 has been on the market since 2013, so I'd think you could snag one on the cheap. But you're the one watching the market, not me. Just keep a close eye over the winter for off-season deals, that's the route I went with my SV.

How about KTM's RC 390 or Yamaha's R3?

Registered
I sold my CB300F to fund its replacement, but right after my significant other hinted at it being the bike she could have learned on... o_O I do have aims to get her riding someday however.

Registered
2015 CBR300R
Discussion Starter #18
I sold my CB300F to fund its replacement, but right after my significant other hinted at it being the bike she could have learned on... o_O I do have aims to get her riding someday however.
If she didn't show interest that's also what I was going to do haha. I can get private party 500s for cheaper than the 400 new but they have higher mileage. Hell I saw one used that the dealer had for over new msrp it was crazy. I'm gonna keep a look out for deals everywhere. But I have plenty of time to find one!

Registered
2015 CBR300R
Discussion Starter #19
And I actually got this bike to start learning to ride with my brother. He talked me into it and never wants to ride. I'm not complaining though because he thinks he's on a race track everytime he gets on it and I'm too mellow for all that nonsense lol

Registered
2015 CBR300R
Discussion Starter #20
Around here, on the used market, the Ninja 400 commands a premium in comparison to a glut of the older 300s (and 250s). While the 500 has been on the market since 2013, so I'd think you could snag one on the cheap. But you're the one watching the market, not me. Just keep a close eye over the winter for off-season deals, that's the route I went with my SV.

How about KTM's RC 390 or Yamaha's R3?
I never saw the last bit here. Just looked them up and the R3 price wise looks like a wonderful contender. I need to look at the specs of each of them though and see. I'm not loving the looks of the 390 though.... That ones lacking a little for me

1 - 20 of 33 Posts