Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
I never saw the last bit here. Just looked them up and the R3 price wise looks like a wonderful contender. I need to look at the specs of each of them though and see. I'm not loving the looks of the 390 though.... That ones lacking a little for me
The Yamaha R3 has been out since 2015, with few changes except cosmetics. Great bike for the comparison you're looking at. Comparable in price and performance. It's 321cc engine falls in above the CBR300 and under the Ninja400s, and offers the middle of the road performance as would be expected. Lots are being replaced and are on the used market, but as already mentioned, this whole class of bikes holds their resell value better than be expected.

·
Premium Member
5,385 Posts
I never saw the last bit here. Just looked them up and the R3 price wise looks like a wonderful contender. I need to look at the specs of each of them though and see. I'm not loving the looks of the 390 though.... That ones lacking a little for me
Much better to get test rides if you can. Spec sheets only tell so much.

·
Registered
2015 CBR300R
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I was going to go with the ninja 400 or the Z400. But Honda offered me a steal for my 2019 cbr300r. Last one on the lot. Usually otd for 4700. Mine otd was 3500. And here in Arkansas there is no sales tax for anything under 4k. Plate n tags was $25. Insurance $75 for the year. 3,600 got me riding. And groms go for 3G's!
I would like to go over 100mph. But I LOVE how light she is.
Anyway to buck up speed just a bit? Besides the ejk I already did.
(Sorry if this comment should have been placed else where)
I got mine for 3k from a private seller. I was originally looking at groms and z125s as the convincing bike to get my wife to let me get one. Then I kept thinking about it and just to be safer I felt necessary for a little bigger and for the same price I could get the 300 and it was the perfect compromise. I sold my project car and got the bike and that's all she wrote! Addicted! Now she wants to get into it so I'll get something slightly bigger! I took wouldn't mind the ability to do 100, but not do it if at all often hahaha. I love how light it is too until a big gust of wind or a big truck comes! xD

·
Registered
11 Posts
If I upgrade in bike I'm going with the cbr600rr. What I would love is the Bonneville bobber 1200cc by triumph but those are big dreams. When it comes to owning a bigger bike its about comfort and control. As for me I'm 5'8 so a 300 is a perfect fit but too much for my 4'10 wife. A 600 is literally 2 inches out of my comfort range. A simple drop kit if one is willing to spend the $$ is always worth the ability to stand flat footed. But as you go up in CC you go up in $$.

·
Registered
285 Posts
If I upgrade in bike I'm going with the cbr600rr. What I would love is the Bonneville bobber 1200cc by triumph..
If you like the profile and design of the Triumph, you may consider looking into the Honda Rebel 300 or 500. Sweet bikes at a reasonable cost, Honda's reliability and quality... both with a seat height of 27.2 inches. The pair are basically the same bike, with different engines.
Just a thought. That CBR600RR is a huge "upgrade". It's not just the engine CC size that's an increase... For a comparison: the CBR300R has roughly 30 HP, the CBR600RR has 113HP. Huge difference. Too much power for this slow and old man.
Hold on and Pucker up. :oops:

·
Registered
54 Posts
HONDA PLEASE BRING THE CB400 SUPER FOUR STATESIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would buy one immediately. A lot of folks on the CB1100 forum I'm a member of would too!

·
Registered
2015 CBR300R
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
If you like the profile and design of the Triumph, you may consider looking into the Honda Rebel 300 or 500. Sweet bikes at a reasonable cost, Honda's reliability and quality... both with a seat height of 27.2 inches. The pair are basically the same bike, with different engines.
Just a thought. That CBR600RR is a huge "upgrade". It's not just the engine CC size that's an increase... For a comparison: the CBR300R has roughly 30 HP, the CBR600RR has 113HP. Huge difference. Too much power for this slow and old man.
Hold on and Pucker up. :oops:
Idk if its just me but its sooooo funny to see how HP numbers compare in bikes and cars! I know weight has a lot to do with it but I always like it when a bike is super fast at 100HP but a car is dog ass slow at <200HP (most of the time) and to me cars are fast at 350(wheel) and up xD

·
Registered
285 Posts
Idk if its just me but its sooooo funny to see how HP numbers compare in bikes and cars! I know weight has a lot to do with it but I always like it when a bike is super fast at 100HP but a car is dog ass slow at <200HP (most of the time) and to me cars are fast at 350(wheel) and up xD
AND, if you have the cash... You can plop down a hefty deposit for a 2021 Kawasaki H2 R..
H2 R= 326HP Supercharged @ $55,500 US (Not street legal)
H2= 205HP @ $22,500+ US (Street Legal)
I have neither the money nor nerve to buy and ride one of these things. But it's awesome how much power they can squeeze out of a 998CC engine... with their reported 8.3:1 and 8.5:1 compression ratios. :whistle:

·
Registered
2015 CBR300R
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Agreed. AND, if you have an unrestricted wallet. You can plop down a hefty deposit for a 2021 Kawasaki H2 R..
Not street legal H2 R= 326HP Supercharged @ $55,500 US.. Or a street legal H2= 205HP @ $22,500+ US
I have neither the money nor nerve to buy and ride one of these things. But it's awesome how much power they can squeeze out of a 998CC engine... with an reported 8.3:1 and 8.5:1 compression ratios. :whistle:
I know that's right! I'm still unsure if I have the gall to get on my brothers 600 let alone that! Thats why my spectrum of next ride is extremely narrow haha. If they did like a 60-70HP bike i think would be perfect size for the everyday rider! (sport bike)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Buying a bike is very much a personal thing and depends a lot on how you like to ride and the sorts of places you get to ride. I currently own a CB300F and a Z400. The CB300F is my reliable daily driver and load lugger - my young teengage son and luggage in a big top box are no problem at all for her on our occasional commute (not through the mountains!). A great little bike that still puts a smile on my face. I like them enough that this is my second.
The Z400, however, is my "toy" that I adore! After a year and half and 12,000km she still makes me smile every time I hop on board. Suprisingly powerful and torquey, but as light as the CB300F. Amazing machine that loves the mountain twisties of northern thailand and can fly up the highways too. However... horrible for pillions and I refuse to fit luggage for the sake of looks. I just use a Kriega tail pack for trips away. I am truly in love with the little hooligan, lol.
I also considered the CB500F/CB500X, and they are really good small touring bikes that work well two-up and you could ride all day. You can also have fun in the twisties, BUT, they are a lot heavier, and, to be frank, handle like a pig by comparison (I have ridden both several times). That's not to say they are pigs - far from it, but if great handling and fun power delivery is what you are after their higher weight and low-revving engines really do go against them...
Horses for courses... but be clear that although the Z400 looks comparable to the Honda 500s on paper (in terms of power) - they are completely different beasts... Try before you buy!!

·
Registered
2015 CBR300R
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Buying a bike is very much a personal thing and depends a lot on how you like to ride and the sorts of places you get to ride. I currently own a CB300F and a Z400. The CB300F is my reliable daily driver and load lugger - my young teengage son and luggage in a big top box are no problem at all for her on our occasional commute (not through the mountains!). A great little bike that still puts a smile on my face. I like them enough that this is my second.
The Z400, however, is my "toy" that I adore! After a year and half and 12,000km she still makes me smile every time I hop on board. Suprisingly powerful and torquey, but as light as the CB300F. Amazing machine that loves the mountain twisties of northern thailand and can fly up the highways too. However... horrible for pillions and I refuse to fit luggage for the sake of looks. I just use a Kriega tail pack for trips away. I am truly in love with the little hooligan, lol.
I also considered the CB500F/CB500X, and they are really good small touring bikes that work well two-up and you could ride all day. You can also have fun in the twisties, BUT, they are a lot heavier, and, to be frank, handle like a pig by comparison (I have ridden both several times). That's not to say they are pigs - far from it, but if great handling and fun power delivery is what you are after their higher weight and low-revving engines really do go against them...
Horses for courses... but be clear that although the Z400 looks comparable to the Honda 500s on paper (in terms of power) - they are completely different beasts... Try before you buy!!
I've never done 2 up on my 300 but I agree that its an excellent bike! I bought it with intentions of learning and still have a lot to learn but I right now just have that urge to get to speed faster(that's also why my potential buy date for anything is June of next year, got to make sure I'm ready and my wife is ready to inherit this one). I don't do much for speeding but I like to get up to speed fast if that makes sense while also being able to row through multiple gears. That's a reason I don't want your standard i4 bike because it seems like maxing 2 gears you're already at the speed limit and that's no fun. My main contenders at this point are the Ninja 400 and the 650 just because the 650 still has a modest amount of power granted its heavier than the 400 but Kawasaki has had this bike out for like 14 years something has to be right about it hahahaha. I'm definitely going to test drive all three bikes, the 650 being the last one I drive because I want to get the feel of the other two before the larger makes them feel a different way if that makes sense???

21 - 34 of 34 Posts