Votes: 13 72.2%
  • Night

Votes: 5 27.8%
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been riding more and more lately... And the more I ride, I find out and learn that I enjoy riding in the day light so much more than when it's dark outside.

Do you prefer riding in the day or night?

Please feel free to share your thoughts and discuss...

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I ride at night only if I have to. Apart from anything else, headlights on bikes tend to be pretty poor, making riding in the dark rather tricky.

In Australia, we tend to be wary of riding at twilight, too. This is when kangaroos and wallabies decide to move from one area to the next and are prone to crossing roads without warning. I soon learnt, after moving to Oz from the UK, to slow right down if a roo crosses the road in front of me, because the buggers rarely travel alone and so a group of 'em is likely to be following close behind. A fully grown male Grey can weigh almost 70kg. Reds are even bigger - up to 90kg.

Reactions: Fanatic

·
Super Moderator
3,009 Posts
I'm a daylight rider. I haven't ridden at night in a very long time, and I think it was at least a couple years since the last time that I just made it home before dusk.

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
Daylight almost 100%. Most of our roads in NZ have bends in them and motorcycle headlights are crap at lighting up the curve ahead of you, so you are almost riding blind unless you are in a built up area where there are traffic lights.
It makes you realise how much you do (and should) look through the bend where you are going rather than directly in front of you on a motorcycle. This is an old racers trick from way back.
@JNO Ive spent some time in Oz too and had the misfortune of hitting a roo at dusk on my GPZ900R. Somehow managed to keep it upright (just!) but the fairing was well damaged.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
I ride at night only if I have to. Apart from anything else, headlights on bikes tend to be pretty poor, making riding in the dark rather tricky.

In Australia, we tend to be wary of riding at twilight, too. This is when kangaroos and wallabies decide to move from one area to the next and are prone to crossing roads without warning. I soon learnt, after moving to Oz from the UK, to slow right down if a roo crosses the road in front of me, because the buggers rarely travel alone and so a group of 'em is likely to be following close behind. A fully grown male Grey can weigh almost 70kg. Reds are even bigger - up to 90kg.
Holy Smokes.. I didn't know Roos could read!!!;)

Myself I ride day time only.......

·
Registered
419 Posts
Riding in the twisties at night is quite fun once you get over reduce vision and higher possibility of critters crossing the road. Obviously can't go as fast but is more thrilling.

It may be fun, but it's stupid. Why would you put yourself at additional risk with reduced vision. Poor decision sir.

·
Registered
487 Posts
It may be fun, but it's stupid. Why would you put yourself at additional risk with reduced vision. Poor decision sir.
Riding a bike is risk. I'd say riding at night in the twisty is safer then day time in heavy traffic. I'd rather take my chances with critters then cagers. As always ride within your limits. Do I ride as fast at night, no, but it sure feels a lot faster. Besides sometimes you can't always avoid not riding at night. I commute by two wheels, have been doing it for the last 9years and coming home in the dark is a given. I travel by two wheels too and don't always make the destination before night time, most the time I'm riding well into the night. And during winter time when it gets dark early night riding is the norm.

What I like about twisties at night is that it reinvigorates those very familiar roads that you are so used to during day and night makes you even more familiar and intimate with those roads. If you think you know a road very well try it at night and it'll feel like a new road. Once you are very familiar with a road at night then you can say that you truly know that road.

·
Registered
75 Posts
For just going to places riding normal I don't mind riding both day and night. If I want to ride semi quick in the canyons of course during the day. You don't want to lean a bike especially when you can't see little rocks and leaves that could cause a potential accident. In addition, I don't want kill any critters that could be crossing at night. What's worse is riding in the rain, my bike has a steel frame and I hate rust. The PO of my bike kept my machine mostly outside, so I had to buy some new parts to replace the rusted parts. Finally now my 250 is in top shape.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I don't ride at night if I can help it due to animals moving about plus as BoBo says its harder to see stuff on the road or danger approaching from the sides. I have hit 2 deer over the years in cars and came close to hitting a dozen or so more. That's bad enough in a car, but could get you killed on a motorcycle. We have a lot of deer around here. I also don't ride in the rain if I can reasonably avoid it. I suppose if I had to commute with a motorcycle, I would get some rain tires and rain gear, but I don't have either. When I do get wet, I also spend hours cleaning up my bike afterward.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Riding a bike is risk. I'd say riding at night in the twisty is safer then day time in heavy traffic. I'd rather take my chances with critters then cagers. As always ride within your limits. Do I ride as fast at night, no, but it sure feels a lot faster. Besides sometimes you can't always avoid not riding at night. I commute by two wheels, have been doing it for the last 9years and coming home in the dark is a given. I travel by two wheels too and don't always make the destination before night time, most the time I'm riding well into the night. And during winter time when it gets dark early night riding is the norm.

What I like about twisties at night is that it reinvigorates those very familiar roads that you are so used to during day and night makes you even more familiar and intimate with those roads. If you think you know a road very well try it at night and it'll feel like a new road. Once you are very familiar with a road at night then you can say that you truly know that road.

To ride at night because you HAVE to is very much different than CHOOSING to. An option you seem to have missed is going on a road during the day that has less people on it. Ripping a populated road during the day is just a douche thing to do, and ripping twisties on a dark road at night is also an extremely bad idea. Now, if you are talking about blasting a well lit freeway through a long tunnel or something that's an entirely other thing/experience. Regardless you choose to do what you will, but one of the first things they teach you in a riding course is to avoid riding at night whenever possible. Here on the Island, riding fast at night is just asking for a run in (literally) with a deer or worse an elk.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Without factoring in the temperature, I like dusk. In the country the smells change at night and you can pick fresh cut grass, a newly cut hay field, what ever. I also enjoy the subtle temperature changes. Into the gully over a creek in the shade and it's cool, come up over the hill and it warms back up in the sun. The wind has died down and it's quiet. I keep it strictly to 40mph.

At night, cruising the streets in the city is fun. The light changes, the traffic is thinner.

In the country you have to watch out for deer, so I rarely do that.

Daytime in the country is nice. The warm breeze, the sunshine overhead and not in your face. Good times.

·
Registered
141 Posts
i use my bike for commuting, and its often dark by the time i get out of work, so i don't mind riding home at night, especially in town where i live where there are almost as many street lights as there are people, but if i'm going riding for riding's sake, i prefer to start out in the morning and ride as the day warms up. leaving just before sunup for a long ride is really nice too. I just have to work out a better cargo situation so i can carry/change riding gear to accommodate changing climate throughout the day

·
Registered
5 Posts
My preference is to ride in daylight. Especially during this time of year in Connecticut, deer tend to come out at early dusk (and they blend in extremely well with the landscape). So good visibility is key...

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
i use my bike for commuting, and its often dark by the time i get out of work, so i don't mind riding home at night, especially in town where i live where there are almost as many street lights as there are people, but if i'm going riding for riding's sake, i prefer to start out in the morning and ride as the day warms up. leaving just before sunup for a long ride is really nice too. I just have to work out a better cargo situation so i can carry/change riding gear to accommodate changing climate throughout the day
I use a tank bag on day ride where I only need warm/waterproof gear if the weather changes and maybe some snacks and a small water bottle. I find the tank bag sits there more secure and you don't worry about it the same as a pillion seat bag because its right in front of you the whole time.
Because our tanks are steel the magnetic tank bags are great as you can then just slide them to one side when you fill up the tank. They have a securing strap that goes round the steering head as well.

·
Registered
54 Posts
riding in the city at night is what i prefer. less traffic and everything is still pretty lit. Only time for more caution is popular bar/club areas and unfamiliar streets

·
Registered
401 Posts
In the winter its dark going to work and the same going home so im not too fussed really, with our stupid clocks go back rubbish, about Feb 15 is when its light going home for me.

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
In the winter its dark going to work and the same going home so im not too fussed really, with our stupid clocks go back rubbish, about Feb 15 is when its light going home for me.
Our clocks just went forward - lucky us, roll on summer and a whole season of riding! :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts