Honda CBR 300 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! Maybe it's just me cuz I'm a newbie in the moto world but have you guys experienced the gear not being able to go to neutral? I was stopped at the traffic light and my left hand was tired from pressing the clutch... So I decided to put it to neutral but it's not letting me or sometimes if I find it it's stuck there... What am I doing wrong? Please help!

·
Registered
149 Posts
When that happens I just slowly release the clutch until I hear a click or feel the bike react. Then pull the clutch back again and then usually that'll allow me to shift again.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Dripkit couldn't have explained it any better. Once you get the feel for it ......you'll have that 'ah ha' moment , then it will come naturally for ya......Have fun out there!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Getting into neutral (at least on the CBR300) is pretty easy- very soft click up from first, or very soft click down from 2nd. Just have to be pretty gentle

Getting back into first is sometimes tricky- the CBR300 doesn't always go into first when the clutch is all the way squeezed. Try these three possible solutions (try the first one, then try the next if it still isn't going into gear):

1. Let the clutch out just a little
2. Let the clutch all the way out, then back in
3. Rock the bike forward and back a little

Number 1 usually does it for me. Right before the friction zone is the sweet spot for dropping into first. There were other people on the forums that had the same problem with the CBR300. It just doesn't seem to want to go into first when the clutch is squeezed all the way in

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Boy, I'm late to the party, lol. Everyone looks to be spot on within their advice / pointers.

No problem, just something to adapt with and work around. I was confused at first too, and I just experimented with trial / error. You'll get it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Been practicing the engine braking / blipping and downshifting while increasingly applying more brake pressure when moving into lower gears (approaching a stop)... Working great so far! Feels like I have more control over the bike and it's motor.

Also, I'm always in first gear when at the stop light (used to try to get into neutral if I could ever find it, hehe)... Always ready and in sync with the bike!
I bought the bike in November of last year. Since then I have had problems with shifting from neutral into first gear. This usually occurs at least once during each ride. Is anyone else experiencing this issue and if so is there a work around solution? Thanks

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I bought the bike in November of last year. Since then I have had problems with shifting from neutral into first gear. This usually occurs at least once during each ride. Is anyone else experiencing this issue and if so is there a work around solution? Thanks
The difficulty to get into neutral is normal for this bike, from what I've learned. Also, I've learned to be in 1st gear when at a stop light, therefore I rarely get into neutral anymore. Only time I use neutral is when / if I warm up the bike before taking off on a fresh ride.

Happy motoring, Todd. :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
I really have not had this problem.But I am not a newbie either.It will come to you
as the miles rack up.I do a lot of the blip and downshift technique also.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
deleted a long explanation with physiology etc..

basically; accelerating from lights etc, last thing
you want is to change from first into, neutral[!]
sequential gearbox designed, to not go into
neutral but into second..

do not sit at lights etc in neutral..
always be in first gear, clutch fully in
while waiting for lights to change..

always be ready to take off in an instant
if necessary.. cars will enter the road space
of motorcycles, from the side or rear..
one advantage motorcycles have is avoidance,
ability to move quickly and into small spaces..
at lights or in traffic your readiness includes
being in the best gear and ready, which means
first, clutch in, when stopped at lights etc..

every time you hold clutch in,, your brain
and its fingers etc will, resond to the small
load by developing better flexion, strength
and endurance.. whenever you do not,
do this normal action, brain and fingers etc
miss out on yet another small improvement..

the slower you approach lights etc, including
last approach down to walking pace in needed,
the less time you spend sitting there waiting,
plus the advantage of the rolling start should
the lights change before you come to stop..
slow riding is easy practice anyone can do
almost anywhere and at any time..
and is very, beneficial incl for clutching etc..

when you stop in first at lights etc, rest forward
slightly, into the bars, allowing wrists to flex a bit, while pulling clutch lever fully or almost
fully into bar.. this allows maximum strength
and efficiency of all fingers..

dont think of it as something to be avoided,,
rather as just another opportunity to develop
another aspect of motorcycle riding skill
and the hand skill that comes with riding...

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
todd - this is just response any experienced rider
would give to the idea of sitting in neutral at
the lights so as to avoid 'sore fingers'..
its like avoiding getting wet in the rain by
[unknowingly] hiding in the tigers cave..

taking off from lights etc your 1st gear is for
getting off the line [or uphill or with pillion etc]
then,, making a smooth direct transition into
2nd to continue that acceleration..
ie, gearbox is designed for that,, as its primary
design function, not for first into neutral..
[imagine taking off but changing into neutral
with a big truck up your ar5e]

obviously there are occasions where you might
want to use your left hand while stopped etc,
thus neutral is available, but its designed to be
a different selection action than 1st to 2nd
[thru neutral].. gentler, slower, more subtle..

also using clutch or moving gears forward/back
a little by rocking the bike in gear, but easiest
from 2nd down into neutral, with a touch of
the foot/toes.. ie, as you come to your stop
[at the drive thru or whatever]..

gearbox does wear in a little over time
but is designed to not, wear out...

this is a sequential gearbox, well designed
and developed thru many, honda models..
we are riding a single track vehicle
with specific rider demands for normal
riding.. its not a car.. there is a skill to it..
even for 'just' commuting on a motorcycle..

if a person cant understand the need to allow
their fingers to develop normal clutching
then they should perhaps stick to a car
[or pushbike, or automatic scoot]

all or most questions surrounding gear changing
and engine braking and so on, come down to
controlled use of clutch, throttle and brake..
none of them are too difficult..
a chimp can be taught to ride a bike..

in this without doubt,, practice makes perfect..
we have human hands and human brains,,
this is one skilled use for them still around
for us human beings, as motorcyclists..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hii User G

That is perfectly fine, it will take some time and eventually you’ll learn it. The same happened with me though while I was learning to ride bike.

·
Registered
236 Posts
The difficulty to get into neutral is normal for this bike, from what I've learned. Also, I've learned to be in 1st gear when at a stop light, therefore I rarely get into neutral anymore. Only time I use neutral is when / if I warm up the bike before taking off on a fresh ride.

Happy motoring, Todd. :)
I think someone else already talked about this, but not only is it better not to have to shift into first from neutral from a stoplight, but it is much safer as well. I have a buddy who go rear ended by a car. He ended up recovering from the crash, but I try and make it a habit to be checking my mirrors at every stop so that I can have a quick escape just in case someone in a car is approaching fast.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I try and keep a lookout for cars as they approach me from behind. I'll need to start watching for construction equipment as well...

I got rear-ended by a forklift today at a stop light. I'm fine. Minor damage to the fender.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
the short answer is to shift into first as/while coming to the stop..

then if you want neutral stopped, into neutral as you are stopping..

as kiwi points out, there is heaps of specific info
and member advice incl cbr250r database/search box..
[same gearbox etc on 250 and 300]

·
Registered
14 Posts
I generally find it easier to shift into neutral while in 2nd, and even easier to shift while moving than when I'm stopped. It was so easy as a matter of fact, that I would be stuck in neutral revving high but going nowhere when I was trying to slow down to make a turn.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey guys! Maybe it's just me cuz I'm a newbie in the moto world but have you guys experienced the gear not being able to go to neutral? I was stopped at the traffic light and my left hand was tired from pressing the clutch... So I decided to put it to neutral but it's not letting me or sometimes if I find it it's stuck there... What am I doing wrong? Please help!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts