Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everyone,

I'm very much used to riding a HD nightster, have recently sold and bought the 300r for something totally different. I find the bike performs/rides better at higher rpm's ie: 6000/7000 when in 4th etc. Am I putting too much strain on the bike riding in higher rpm's? I'm used to a cruiser that doesn't need to be in the higher area. It feels better and performs better at higher rpm's so someone please advise if I'm riding this improperly.

Cheers,
Trevor

·
Registered
99 Posts
You are perfectly fine using it at higher RPMs, no need for you to worry about that at all. as with all vehicle vehicles just don't down shift and over rev the engine.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I have mechanical empathy so when the engine screams at me, I have to shift or else I feel bad. I only go over 6,000 rpm if I'm trying to get a rush of adrenaline or I'm doing 65+ mph. I follow the recommendation in the user manual.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Around town, I often ride under 5k rpm, but only when gently cruising along. If I think I might need to employ any acceleration, I stay at 6k or higher. Almost all of my previous bikes have been lower rpm torque bikes, rather than revvers, so it's a bit of an adjustment, but as kiwi rider says, it's not going to hurt anything if you stay under 10,500.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
riding suburbia or traffic situations best ride close to hp/torque revs
and in gears relevant to specific environment..
best hp produced around 7.5 - 9 krpm, max 8 - 8.5 krpm,
torque well spread around 5.5 krpm - 8 krpm, max 6 krpm - 7.5 krpm
[cycle world dyno]
so at 6 krpm youre making about 20 hp [of 27], near max torque [18.4 lb-ft]..
[drop down a gear from 6 takes you to good power rpm..
my general habit is around 6 krpm [12 o'clock, within peripheral vision]..
revs for speed will adjust according to up or downslope, load etc..

using engine braking [highly recommended] next gear down = about 1000rpm rise,
which helps engine braking and also keeps revs in a nice zone..
whatever you do,, engine braking or whatever, potential power thru
drivetrain is under control of your left - clutch fingers..
you dont want to be dropping the clutch unless necessary,
as in avoidance maneuvers and suchlike..
smoooth clutch/throttle action for smooth riding..

for overtaking or avoidance responses you want to keep high revs
even when past max power for changing within max power range..
your rev limiter which will prevent revs beyond the limit [anyway]..

every motorcycle has its sweet spots and best revs for certain riding..
this well balanced modern single four stroke doesnt mind revving,,
but then again your brain might prefer a calmer riding style..
find what suits you, the riding environment and the bike..

simple bottom line tho, as kiwi points out,
she's has a rev limiter..

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I have mechanical empathy so when the engine screams at me, I have to shift or else I feel bad. I only go over 6,000 rpm if I'm trying to get a rush of adrenaline or I'm doing 65+ mph. I follow the recommendation in the user manual.
Hey, Hi-Viz, where do you go to get the rush of adrenaline? What pharmacy? Do you have to ride far to get there? :devil:

·
Registered
8 Posts
My commute is mostly around 50-60 mph, and given that there's a lot of traffic I'm often in 4th/5th with the revs in the 6000-8000 range so that I've got responsiveness when I need it. Took me a while to get used to as well though, my car hits the red at 5500 so 10000 was a whole new game.

·
Registered
339 Posts
My car is in the red at 4k. (3 litre 4x4).:laugh:. Think what 10,500 rpm sounds like to me.:eek:

Most bikes have an optimum revs of 50% so the CBR300 optimum is about 5K.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
6 - 7.5 krpm gives good hp and maximum torque..
new balance shaft with longer stroke engine
means she 'likes' running around torque rpm..

·
Registered
270 Posts
My car is in the red at 4k. (3 litre 4x4).:laugh:. Think what 10,500 rpm sounds like to me.:eek:
You guys... my modified 2006 MINI Cooper S pulls strong to a modified+tuned 7,200 (+200whp/tq, <2,600lbs), and there are plenty of nice ordinary-people cars (think S2000) that run out to five-figure rpms. What the heck are you driving @laceysnr? :laugh:

The 300 definitely begins to run out of steam before its redline: I agree with the 6-8,000 range.

Attachments

·
Registered
339 Posts
My 4x4 pulls nicely from 1 - 1.5K. At 3K it's taking me into licence losing zone and at 4K would be about 110 mph. I'm more than happy with my 300 at 7 - 8K rpm. Licence will be gone after that.:devil:

·
Super Moderator
2,984 Posts
"Proper" riding RPM's for these small CBR's really depends on which gear you happen to be riding in, as well as the desired road speed... obviously 1st & 2nd gear can handle operation in the range of 2000 - 3500 RPM. But as you continue to shift up through the gears, the higher ratios of 3rd through 6th gears require progressively higher engine RPM's in order for the bike to continue to accelerate, or to simply maintain a desired road speed.

·
Registered
272 Posts
High revs are pretty normal on small bikes. Cruisers with big displacement like rpms from 2000-4000. Small bikes need more. Though many don't like the very short 1st gear. Replacing the standard 14T by a 15T front sprocket helps to lower the RPM range.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
question was concern for riding over 6krpm,
responses thus for general riding situations..
in traffic at varying speeds its always best
to be in a gear and rpm suitable for
timely responses, avoidance etc..

1 - 20 of 21 Posts