Honda CBR 300 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
Recently saw this on Evil Bay..
Reusable Stainless Steel OIL Filter Honda CBR250R CBR300R CB300F 11 12 13 14 15 | eBay

Are these any good or are they all hype?? In the past I always used a OEM oil filter.

Laurie
I've always just used the Honda OEM oil filters... they are inexpensive, and to my thinking new oil should have a new, clean filter (some only change the filter every other oil change, which I'm not a fan of either).

I also wonder if those reusable oil filters can actually filter as well as a paper pleated filter can. Then there is also the possibility of not getting the reusable filter spotlessly clean.

Reactions: kiwi rider

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Thank you Sir..;)

Mike... if you wold have a look at the E Bay listing. The seller talks about filter microns....do you think it is all hype or would that filter"filter better" than a paper OE one....just wonderin..

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
Thank you Sir..;)

Mike... if you wold have a look at the E Bay listing. The seller talks about filter microns....do you think it is all hype or would that filter"filter better" than a paper OE one....just wonderin..
Again, I don't know enough about that particular filter, or have first hand experience with it to objectively have an honest opinion one way or the other.

But just going on the price of that filter, you'd have to get to about 40,000 miles on the odometer before it would be on par with OEM Honda oil filters in terms of total cost ($32 will buy you eight OEM Honda oil filters).

And if you're talking about a new bike which is still in its factory warranty period, I wouldn't want to jeopardize the engine warranty if something does go wrong and the cause of the failure is determined to be oil/lubrication related... Honda could easily deny coverage in such a scenario where an aftermarket oil filter was used. For my money this alone pretty much says "not worth the trouble".

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
And if you're talking about a new bike which is still in its factory warranty period, I wouldn't want to jeopardize the engine warranty if something does go wrong and the cause of the failure is determined to be oil/lubrication related... Honda could easily deny coverage in such a scenario where an aftermarket oil filter was used. For my money this alone pretty much says "not worth the trouble".

Good Point Mike..Thanks I hadn't thought of that aspect....Thank you.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Cleanable and reusable:
Simply remove the filter, rinse in clean solvent and replace it, you're done. The filter can be cleaned with solvent, kerosene, aerosol carburetor cleaner, or any other degreasing agent, even common dish soap. You can even blow air through the filter from the inside out to remove any small particles or cleaning agent from the screen if you so desire.

For f**ks sake, dish soap!? Water and oil, especially on the inside of your motor, do not mix. What's going to happen to all that left over solvent/dish soap? And why would you be able to blow air through the filter from the inside out to remove small particles? Isn't that what the filter is supposed to be stopping from happening? How does it filter if it can't stop those from getting through? I say, save your money, your bike and some heartache and buy stock filters or at least a K&N or other reputable brand.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts