Honda CBR 300 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the instrument display on the 2015 CB300F the same as the instrument display on the CB500F? Specifically does it have instantaneous and overall fuel consumption such as the CB500F.

I believe that financially for Honda, it would not make any sense to manufacture two different instrument displays.

·
Registered
352 Posts
300R has digital speedo, digital gas gauge, digital odometer, digital temp gauge, tachometer and neutral light. I know the 500 has a digital tach...

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That sucks. I was hoping that the CB300F had a instantaneous/average fuel consumption "gauge" like the CB500F. Doesn't make sense to me why Honda wouldn't use something they already have.

You can also adjust the light intensity on the CB500F, can you do that with the CB300F?

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
That sucks. I was hoping that the CB300F had a instantaneous/average fuel consumption "gauge" like the CB500F. Doesn't make sense to me why Honda wouldn't use something they already have.

You can also adjust the light intensity on the CB500F, can you do that with the CB300F?
Actually, Honda did use something they already had... the instrument on the CBR300R was carried over from its predecessor, the '11 - '13 CBR250R. The only thing that was changed on the instrument for the 300R was the backlighting color, to red.

I'm sure Honda could have modified the digital instrument from the CBR500R for use on the CBR300R, but in doing so would have likely added cost to the bike. Clearly, it was Honda's goal to keep the MSRP of the 300R as close as possible to the 250R, and thereby maintain the bikes low "price point" position in the market segment.

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
By the way, I recently was at a Honda dealer and saw that they have some non-current CBR500R's remaining at discounted prices... if you were to shop around at Honda dealers in your area, you might be able to find a new '13 or '14 500R for about $1000 more than a 300R.

Reactions: Knights2theEnd

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
I didn't like the rpm gauge on the 500.I thought it would be hard to read.
I much prefer the traditional design of an analog tachometer.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Actually, Honda did use something they already had... the instrument on the CBR300R was carried over from its predecessor, the '11 - '13 CBR250R. The only thing that was changed on the instrument for the 300R was the backlighting color, to red.

I'm sure Honda could have modified the digital instrument from the CBR500R for use on the CBR300R, but in doing so would have likely added cost to the bike. Clearly, it was Honda's goal to keep the MSRP of the 300R as close as possible to the 250R, and thereby maintain the bikes low "price point" position in the market segment.
The CB300F display is not the same as the CB300R. The CB300F uses the same digital display as the CB500F but with less options. I mean, exactly the same. If I had to guess why they did this, it is because they want their CB500F to have more of an upgrading feeling to potential customers.

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
The CB300F display is not the same as the CB300R. The CB300F uses the same digital display as the CB500F but with less options. I mean, exactly the same. If I had to guess why they did this, it is because they want their CB500F to have more of an upgrading feeling to potential customers.
Sorry, that was my mistake... I first saw this thread in the CBR300R General Discussion forum and so I thought it was about that model.

Thread has been moved to the CB300F General Discussion forum.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I thought it was strange that the cbr300r has an analogue tach and a small digital display for everything else, but the cb300f has a completely digital dash. Since it's essentially the same bike I'm curious as to why they decided to use different instruments.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
analog is better as in simpler more direct and less distracting..
like drawing a curtain open one way to see actors on a stage,
compared to the curtain being open, and you need only
glance once to see all he actors and the stage..
or, any particular actor relevant to you..

top of tacho is within field of view
requiring virtually no specific redirection
of vision away from the road ahead to know..

12 oclock is around 6krpm riding range
which could be maintained thru gears
and thru increasing or decreasing speeds..

hence the difference for tacho and speedo..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts