Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New Yamaha rival just showed its face at AIMExpo. 321cc, $4,990.

Colin Edwards is doing the selling...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Nice looking bike, they have it up on their website. Almost makes me wish I would have had the patience to wait for it.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I always liked Yamaha but I trust a Honda single much more. Not to mention how much easier it is to work on a single. I know a lot of people don't work on their own bikes but it is probably because they have more than a single cylinder.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I like the bike, but I would like a naked version, the FZ-03 with a 30.7 in. seat, 348 lbs. wet. and under $4000. Yamaha could do it. I'm not a fan of fairings and the crotch rocket riding position except for racing. Still, this is a very good idea to go one-up on the Ninja 300...just like the Ninja 300 did to the CBR250r. Ninja 300 is still king of that group, but if this Yamaha has better acceleration and better top speed, that could change. I will definitely look at the R3 when it comes out in March though. I own the Yamaha FZ-07 and it is a very good bike...like the big mean brother of the CB300F.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Not bad at all, i have been following a bit of the developments around this bike and it's good to finally see it come to life like this, it looks and sounds great.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Love Honda and their products but just looked at the specs for this bike. ****, it could be a 300 killer, more HP and torque. Yamaha builds a quality product also. My brother-in-law loves his Honda road bikes but prefers his Yamahas for the dirt and he's got over 35 years with motorcycles.

Seems to me, Honda skimped on the cc's with this model, great bike I still think and love it's look over the Yamy, but ya know on the quarter mile who will win.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Nothing against Yamaha or the R3. I'm sure it's a great bike. I've just always had Honda dirt bikes ,quads,generators etc and now a 300R. I guess eveything I've owned Honda ,has always proved very reliable and last a long time with little maintence. In my opinion......Honda's seem to hold their value as well. Guess I'm just a die hard fan of Honda and why I joined this forum.......

·
Registered
12 Posts
I love my cbr300, but I love the specs of this bike more. Kind of feel like i should have waited a little bit, but at the same time I couldn't wait. I just need to find some mods that will give my 300 that extra bump in torque and cc's. :(

·
Registered
50 Posts
If I would have had the patience to wait until next year for a bike i would have picked the KTM RC 390 over all the small bikes. Don't know anything about KTM but it specs definately beat out all the others.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yea but does the cost of the KTM really justify the specs? Especially when its really only making 2 more hp than the Yam...

R3:

41.42bhp @ 10,750rpm
21.8lbft @ 9,000rpm

·
Registered
20 Posts
Engine
HONDA CBR300R 286cc 4 stroke, single-cylinder
KAWASAKI NINJA 300 296cc 4 stroke, parallel twin
YAMAHA R3 321cc 4 stroke, parallel twin

Bore And Stroke
HONDA CBR300R 76mm x 63mm
KAWASAKI NINJA 300 62mm x 49 mm
YAMAHA R3 68 x 44 mm

Compression Ratio
HONDA CBR300R 10.7:1
KAWASAKI NINJA 300 10.6:1
YAMAHA R3 11.2:1

Horsepower
HONDA CBR300R 30.50 hp @ 8,500 rpm
KAWASAKI NINJA 300 38.89 hp @ 11,000 rpm
YAMAHA R3 42 hp @ 10,750 rpm

Torque
HONDA CBR300R 20 lb ft @ 7,500 rpm
KAWASAKI NINJA 300 19.91 lb ft @ 10,000 rpm
YAMAHA R3 21.18 lb ft @ 9,000

Seat Height
HONDA CBR300R 30.7 inches
KAWASAKI NINJA 300 30.9 inches
YAMAHA R3 30.7 inches

Wet Weight
HONDA CBR300R 364 lb
KAWASAKI NINJA 300 383 lb
YAMAHA R3 368 lb

Fuel Capacity
HONDA CBR300R 3.4 gallons
KAWASAKI NINJA 300 4.5 gallons
YAMAHA R3 3.7 gallons

Price
HONDA CBR300R $4,399
KAWASAKI NINJA 300 $5,299
YAMAHA R3 $4,990

The three bikes are alike beside the HP, were the CBR300 come in last at 30.5 than the Ninja 300 at 38.89 and the R3 at 42.hp
The two things that matter to me is the price and the how well the product is made.
The honda wins hands down!!

·
Registered
447 Posts
You could do what I do. Just ride your present bike, then when the new bike comes out try to get a demo ride. If not, there will be reviews and word of mouth about the R3 and then you can decide. You can already be assured the R3 will be faster and smoother than the Honda. The R3 is higher reving, has 37 more ccs of displacement and is a twin. It is also heavier than the Honda CB300F and a little lighter than the Ninja 300 if that is an issue. It is for me. Now if I had just bought the CBR300R or the Ninja 300, I might wish I had waited. On the other hand, this is still October and say the R3 shows up in 3 months. For me that is a lot of riding...at least 6,000 miles since I ride year around. If I like the R3, I'll just trade in something for it even if it's one of my newer bikes.

As far as putting down a deposit for a new bike like the R3. That works, but you never know when the bike will show up, and the dealer won't even know. Could be January, could be March. People were waiting for a Honda Grom for many months after the first batch showed up. I guess if you live in a cold climate, the wait is not an issue since you won't ride until March or April anyway.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I really wonder what this segment will look like in a few years... If sales on the cbr are lower than the others will they perk the engine up a bit? Will all 3 improve standard brakes and suspension? I hope there's a dogfight in the future.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I like the bike, but I would like a naked version, the FZ-03 with a 30.7 in. seat, 348 lbs. wet. and under $4000. Yamaha could do it. I'm not a fan of fairings and the crotch rocket riding position except for racing. Still, this is a very good idea to go one-up on the Ninja 300...just like the Ninja 300 did to the CBR250r. Ninja 300 is still king of that group, but if this Yamaha has better acceleration and better top speed, that could change. I will definitely look at the R3 when it comes out in March though. I own the Yamaha FZ-07 and it is a very good bike...like the big mean brother of the CB300F.

totally agree. wish the r3 was a bit more naked and a bit cheaper. I just bought my cb300f a month ago.. and have been looking at the FZ-07 for my next bike .

·
Registered
45 Posts
I love my cbr300, but I love the specs of this bike more. Kind of feel like i should have waited a little bit, but at the same time I couldn't wait. I just need to find some mods that will give my 300 that extra bump in torque and cc's. :(

There are several things you can do to make that Honda noticeably faster. Lighten yhe drive train by 7 pounds , light weight battery and an exhaust.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts