Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://youtu.be/tu4VFYj-gjg

Last week I hit Mulholland really early in the morning on my day off and spent a solid hour doing laps up and down the famous section called The Snake. If you've ever seen the "rnickeymouse" Mulholland videos in YouTube, this is the same spot.

The guy on the ninja 300 is a lot faster than me, he has a ton of experience and is up there all the time.

Also I almost wiped out a few times, I was getting tired and cocky and that alone is dangerous. The vid was much longer but kind of boring so I cut it down a bit. If you want to skip to me almost crashing, 3:20 for when my rear tire slipped on a corner exit and 7:30 for when I scraped my peg for the first time ever and almost crashed.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks like a great road to ride I'm jealous!
Yeah it's nice place on the weekdays but it gets crazy crowded sometimes. If you go up there Saturday or Sunday afternoon it's a **** hole! The CHP have started cracking down on the crowds, they recently made the whole area a no parking zone so there's literally only a couple parking spots at the top, if you stop anywhere else to spectate they start writing tickets.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Yeah it's nice place on the weekdays but it gets crazy crowded sometimes. If you go up there Saturday or Sunday afternoon it's a **** hole! The CHP have started cracking down on the crowds, they recently made the whole area a no parking zone so there's literally only a couple parking spots at the top, if you stop anywhere else to spectate they start writing tickets.
I've never been to Cali, but that road reminds me of the twistie road at the end of Fast n Furious Tokyo Drift? When they race at night lol

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I've never been to Cali, but that road reminds me of the twistie road at the end of Fast n Furious Tokyo Drift? When they race at night lol
Check this link out.

Used to go up there at night all the time a few years ago when I was into the scene. The fast n furious stuff is a little exaggerated but not completely wrong. I stopped going when it got too risky. There are lots of young kids up there that don't respect the road and don't have cars fit for hard driving that will try to pass on blind corners with no spotters just to prove they're faster and have bigger balls. I've seen a lot of accidents. It's not worth it!

Edit: that's not me in the IG link, just something I found.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Check this link out.

Used to go up there at night all the time a few years ago when I was into the scene. The fast n furious stuff is a little exaggerated but not completely wrong. I stopped going when it got too risky. There are lots of young kids up there that don't respect the road and don't have cars fit for hard driving that will try to pass on blind corners with no spotters just to prove they're faster and have bigger balls. I've seen a lot of accidents. It's not worth it!

Edit: that's not me in the IG link, just something I found.
I know exactly what you're saying. When I was young 'drifting' wasn't even a known thing, or at least nobody was into it. We were all just straight out drag racers. My cars were always top notch and very safe, and I consider myself and excellent driver haha. But yah kids would show up with cars held together with duct tape and staples yet they would have NOS lol. I'm too old for that scene now plus I don't want tickets and insurance rates to rise!!

·
Registered
419 Posts
I can feel the lump in your throat from here when you jittered the bike on your peg, not a fun feeling...... Gotta hang those toe sliders over the edge so they hit first before the pegs if you are gonna ride hard like that. All is well that ends well.

Great road and keep practicing.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I can feel the lump in your throat from here when you jittered the bike on your peg, not a fun feeling...... Gotta hang those toe sliders over the edge so they hit first before the pegs if you are gonna ride hard like that. All is well that ends well.

Great road and keep practicing.
Yeah that was definitely my signal to call it a day and head home. I was getting really fatigued and started getting leg cramps too, almost dropped my bike making a u turn at that point. The peg scraping was my wake up call to chill the F out.

That's funny my riding buddy in the video told me the same exact thing! He was wearing some armored "riding sneakers" that didn't have toe sliders and he said that he hangs his foot off a bit to gauge the lean and showed me the bottom of his sneaker and it was completely wor! through with a hole almost to his socks from where he drags his toes. Thanks :]

·
Registered
75 Posts
I knew about that place through Youtube and friends. It's nice place, but I wouldn't go crazy on that place..maybe with a car, but not a bike. Too many little rocks. I'm glad you didn't crash your bike..you did well on that road.You probably would have done a lot better with radial tires. I took my bike to the track with Sport Demons, it held up nice...but when I tried to lean aggressively, the back started to kick out and I lost confidence. A session later my front tires started to slip as well. Then I rode my buddy's N300 with Pirelli DR2's and it gave me a whole new level of confidence. I would never go back to bias-ply.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I knew about that place through Youtube and friends. It's nice place, but I wouldn't go crazy on that place..maybe with a car, but not a bike. Too many little rocks. I'm glad you didn't crash your bike..you did well on that road.You probably would have done a lot better with radial tires. I took my bike to the track with Sport Demons, it held up nice...but when I tried to lean aggressively, the back started to kick out and I lost confidence. A session later my front tires started to slip as well. Then I rode my buddy's N300 with Pirelli DR2's and it gave me a whole new level of confidence. I would never go back to bias-ply.
Haha yeah thanks, me too. There is some gravel out there but I cleaned it all up since I was the first person out there that morning. Lots of riders up there do the same so gravels not toooo much a problem.

I am also running DR 2's, and I agree with you, they grip very well but I was really abusing them. Also I think I'm getting to the point where I'm overloading the rear shock, it doesn't have the proper dampening to keep the wheel down while leaning and throttling and I'm getting this really bad hopping sensation through some corners. Definitely planning on doing my forks and rear shock pretty soon. I'll have to re learn how to ride the bike.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Haha yeah thanks, me too. There is some gravel out there but I cleaned it all up since I was the first person out there that morning. Lots of riders up there do the same so gravels not toooo much a problem.

I am also running DR 2's, and I agree with you, they grip very well but I was really abusing them. Also I think I'm getting to the point where I'm overloading the rear shock, it doesn't have the proper dampening to keep the wheel down while leaning and throttling and I'm getting this really bad hopping sensation through some corners. Definitely planning on doing my forks and rear shock pretty soon. I'll have to re learn how to ride the bike.
Oh OK, I though you had the stock IRC's. I don't know how much you weigh, but with these bikes, the shock valving is not that aggressive compared to bigger bikes. Thicker shock oil/springs for the forks might help depending on the situation. I don't know if there is an aftermarket rear shock that you could buy. If the rear shocks is overloaded, it will affect handling and grip. I have a Ninja 250 and my shocks are great for my weight, but the brakes were weak and needed to be upgraded.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Oh OK, I though you had the stock IRC's. I don't know how much you weigh, but with these bikes, the shock valving is not that aggressive compared to bigger bikes. Thicker shock oil/springs for the forks might help depending on the situation. I don't know if there is an aftermarket rear shock that you could buy. If the rear shocks is overloaded, it will affect handling and grip. I have a Ninja 250 and my shocks are great for my weight, but the brakes were weak and needed to be upgraded.
Definitely a lot of different brands of rear shocks available for the 300. There are quite a few members here with Ohlins. Also a lot of members with the full front fork spring/emulator upgrade, including myself. It makes a huge difference in the handling of this bike. It actually feels like a sport bike now. Very confident feeling going into corners and front braking doesn't nose dive anymore. I have an app on my phone that tells me lean angle, not sure how accurate it is but the most lean I've gotten so far is 44%. IMO is pretty dang good as most good tires are rated to 59% lean I think?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Definitely a lot of different brands of rear shocks available for the 300. There are quite a few members here with Ohlins. Also a lot of members with the full front fork spring/emulator upgrade, including myself. It makes a huge difference in the handling of this bike. It actually feels like a sport bike now. Very confident feeling going into corners and front braking doesn't nose dive anymore. I have an app on my phone that tells me lean angle, not sure how accurate it is but the most lean I've gotten so far is 44%. IMO is pretty dang good as most good tires are rated to 59% lean I think?
I have an app as well, but never had the chance to use it. My friend with a 35+ inch inseam can drag knee easily without having to lean aggressively. On the other hand, I have to hang off the bike a bit at the track to scrape.

I'm still amped about get a CBR300. I was suppose to buy one a couple of months ago, but ended up paying for other stuff. I'm lucky I don't have to spend a lot of money on suspension, the stock setup is good enough for me.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I have an app on my phone that tells me lean angle, not sure how accurate it is but the most lean I've gotten so far is 44%. IMO is pretty dang good as most good tires are rated to 59% lean I think?

this is 45 degrees, foot peg is up and brake lever are exhaust still have clearance. Yes i know i need better riding gear if i'm going to hang off and drag knees

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
this is 45 degrees, foot peg is up and brake lever are exhaust still have clearance. Yes i know i need better riding gear if i'm going to hang off and drag knees

Is your foot off the peg? Can you lean more than that? are you saying that's not enough lean? I have the stock IRC's still and there's no chicken strip at all on the back and about a lil bit more than 1/4 up front. I feel if I lean anymore it's gonna slide out
oh my bike is also lowered 1.25" front/rear

·
Registered
353 Posts
Is your foot off the peg? Yes, work boots tend to bite instead of slide when they hit the tarmac, so i lift them off if i know i'll be scraping the footpegs. I've also removed the little stub from underneath the footpeg.

Can you lean more than that? Maybe, but only an extra couple of degrees, the casting nibs are all gone and tyre feathered to the edge. i reckon an extra couple degrees and the brake lever could touch or the stock tyres could want to slide.

are you saying that's not enough lean? More than enough lean, i would lean less if i had knee pucks and decent boots. Even with that gear i hang off the bike a lot more now than in that pic. Better technique = faster with less lean angle.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts