Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went yesterday to check out a cb300f that was on sale privately. The owner bought it less than 4 weeks ago, and after 2 weeks of owning it, she is already selling it because she says she is too short for the bike (5'4") and will stick to riding her scooter which she still supposedly owns. Seems a little weird but she has all the paperwork so I am not concerned.

Well I checked out the bike thoroughly and noticed oil accumulating right under the gear shifter shaft seal haha. So it is true! This is a common problem with the new cb300f. It sounded nice however! Unfortunately she did not let me test ride it without cash in her hand which I believe is fair.

She wants $3,800 however I really don't see myself getting this bike unless its a steal. I don't know. I am just really undecided at the moment.

The day before our appointment, she told me she dropped the bike and the damage was minimal which turned out to be true.

Sorry for the pointless thread but maybe someone will find it entertaining for how amount of time it takes them to read this. Thank you for your time.

·
Super Moderator
3,009 Posts
So I went yesterday to check out a cb300f that was on sale privately. The owner bought it less than 4 weeks ago, and after 2 weeks of owning it, she is already selling it because she says she is too short for the bike (5'4") and will stick to riding her scooter which she still supposedly owns. Seems a little weird but she has all the paperwork so I am not concerned.

Well I checked out the bike thoroughly and noticed oil accumulating right under the gear shifter shaft seal haha. So it is true! This is a common problem with the new cb300f. It sounded nice however! Unfortunately she did not let me test ride it without cash in her hand which I believe is fair.

She wants $3,800 however I really don't see myself getting this bike unless its a steal. I don't know. I am just really undecided at the moment.

The day before our appointment, she told me she dropped the bike and the damage was minimal which turned out to be true.

Sorry for the pointless thread but maybe someone will find it entertaining for how amount of time it takes them to read this. Thank you for your time.
Oil around the shift shaft area has been discussed in a few other threads... it's more than likely residual chain lube dripping from the front sprocket cover, and not the shift shaft seal leaking.

I have to say that your exclaiming "So it is true! This is a common problem with the new cb300f... " kind of comes across as though you're perhaps looking for reasons to talk yourself out of buying one of these bikes.

As for the used one you looked at for $3800, how much can you buy a new (one that hasn't been dropped) 300F from a Honda dealer for?

I'm willing to bet that never before in the entire history of motorcycling, has there been a bike dropped more in the first couple weeks of ownership as these Honda CBR250R/CBR300R/CB300F's have. It's staggering really... if only I had a dollar for every "I dropped my bike" post I've read in the past 3 years. :serious:

·
Registered
96 Posts
if the damage was minimal go on the offensive, it's a gift use it as a bargaining chip

I bought a TUX that had been dropped, originally owned by a woman actually a couple but she never took to riding was 4 years old & only couple hundred miles on the odo , the clutch cover scratches were described as a boot skuff, the slight gash on the muffler was described as rubbing against the bike with the mower, but it was hard to sugar coat the gash on the right hand mirror, anyway bars, TS, & tank were fine I got a couple hundred off, then promptly went out looking for used clutch cover, right hand mirror, & muffler all of which I found for minimal cost

when I sold the bike you would never know it had been dropped, never ridden in bad weather, was really show room condition, anyway it was a nice save

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Oil around the shift shaft area has been discussed in a few other threads... it's more than likely residual chain lube dripping from the front sprocket cover, and not the shift shaft seal leaking.

I have to say that your exclaiming "So it is true! This is a common problem with the new cb300f... " kind of comes across as though you're perhaps looking for reasons to talk yourself out of buying one of these bikes.

As for the used one you looked at for $3800, how much can you buy a new (one that hasn't been dropped) 300F from a Honda dealer for?

I'm willing to bet that never before in the entire history of motorcycling, has there been a bike dropped more in the first couple weeks of ownership as these Honda CBR250R/CBR300R/CB300F's have. It's staggering really... if only I had a dollar for every "I dropped my bike" post I've read in the past 3 years. :serious:
It definitely was not residue from the chain, it was 100% Engine Oil and it was located nowhere except right under and around the bottom of the seal. Also the bike was dead cold, I could only imagine how much more oil would accumulate during operating temperature.

Yea I am definitely looking for reasons why to not buy this bike lol. Unfortunately I am pretty anal, I always exploit small problems when buying bikes so that I don't have any regret in the future. I don't mind working on the bike however I just want the best outcome/deal if that makes sense.

I don't know for a fact how much I could get a cb300f for at the dealership but I my guess is around $4200-4300.

That is probably due to the high amount of beginner riders buying sub300s and Honda provides the largest section of sub300s.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
if the damage was minimal go on the offensive, it's a gift use it as a bargaining chip

I bought a TUX that had been dropped, originally owned by a woman actually a couple but she never took to riding was 4 years old & only couple hundred miles on the odo , the clutch cover scratches were described as a boot skuff, the slight gash on the muffler was described as rubbing against the bike with the mower, but it was hard to sugar coat the gash on the right hand mirror, anyway bars, TS, & tank were fine I got a couple hundred off, then promptly went out looking for used clutch cover, right hand mirror, & muffler all of which I found for minimal cost

when I sold the bike you would never know it had been dropped, never ridden in bad weather, was really show room condition, anyway it was a nice save

That is exactly what I was planning on doing (using this minimal damage to my advantage) however the oil leaking really turned off my motive to buy the bike. I looked up HondaParts-Direct.com how much would it cost to replace all the damaged (barely scratched) parts and it came to under $200.00.

I think am just going to ride my cb350 this summer and wait until an awesome deal pops up.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I think am just going to ride my cb350 this summer and wait until an awesome deal pops up.
Im a firm believer in "goin with your gut", as this philosophy has both helped and harmed me. In the times it harmed me, I looked back and said "..I should have listened to you, gut". So if your gut tells you don't, then simply don't. Don't waste your time driving yourself crazy thinking about it. When its time for things to work out, that's when they will....

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
bought my cbr250r used - under 600km - from an impulse buyer..
his mates all had cars 'and riding by himself wasnt so much fun'..

offered cash for less than the bargain price he wanted,
and he bike was perfect.. had her 3yrs [until stolen]
never a problem..

couple of reasons why oil could find the floor,
starting with even slight over-filling
plus side dropping [etc]..

it would still be under warranty anyway
[which you would transfer to your name]

comes down to do you really want it..
if so, deduct oil concerns etc, and offer cash..

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Im a firm believer in "goin with your gut", as this philosophy has both helped and harmed me. In the times it harmed me, I looked back and said "..I should have listened to you, gut". So if your gut tells you don't, then simply don't. Don't waste your time driving yourself crazy thinking about it. When its time for things to work out, that's when they will....
My gut is saying no on this deal but I still really want to get a cb300f. Hopefully another opportunity pops up in the future.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
bought my cbr250r used - under 600km - from an impulse buyer..
his mates all had cars 'and riding by himself wasnt so much fun'..

offered cash for less than the bargain price he wanted,
and he bike was perfect.. had her 3yrs [until stolen]
never a problem..

couple of reasons why oil could find the floor,
starting with even slight over-filling
plus side dropping [etc]..

it would still be under warranty anyway
[which you would transfer to your name]

comes down to do you really want it..
if so, deduct oil concerns etc, and offer cash..
The bike was dropped on the other side where the gear shifter is not located, also if overfilling causes oil to leak out of the gear shifter shaft seal than it will leak even more when oil pressure rises (during operation).

I never had good experiences with stealerships. You give them a problem to fix and they always leave you with a new one whether they be scratches, dents, something else becomes broken or things of that nature.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have been thinking about this thread

if I were looking for this bike used I would likely buy this one based on your story, don't run across this situation every day for a barely used cb300f that is only a couple of weeks old & is well within driving distance etc

again bike is only couple of weeks old, inexperienced female rider that did not take to the bike, as such practically no mileage on the bike

minor damage from the drop as you described it

I would probably monitor the oil leak & it will either fix itself or I will get it fixed

the bike is still under warranty

assuming she has the title? she is asking $3800, you offer $3600 cash, you will end up at $3700, the best otd price on a new cb300f would be like $4600

but whatever you decide

ride safe

Reactions: Knights2theEnd
1 - 11 of 11 Posts