Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

This is my setup when I am away from home. At home I use a much tougher chain and lock than this.

I am using the The Club UTL810 Utility Lock, Yellow ($17 on Amazon) and I hook it to lock the rear wheel and chain my helmet thru it. Then I put my jacket, gloves, pants, boots in a duffel bag and bring them with me into the store.

https://smile.amazon.com/Club-UTL810-Utility-Lock-Yellow/dp/B00CCIM1YQ

I have an alarm also that runs on AAA batteries $17 on aAmazon Wsdcam 113dB Wireless Anti-Theft Vibration Motorcycle Bicycle Alarm Waterproof Security Cycling Bike Alarm with Remote

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0734QN8KR

So that is my current setup. I would love to hear feedback or advice. The alarm is highly recommended it will blare loud A.F. if anyone sits on the seat or tries touching the handlebars and so forth. i know its not the most robust security but It is more coverage than 80% of the other motorcycles I see (since most people have ZERO burglary security AT ALL and I mean dudes with 600cc sportbikes and large cruisers and they dont use ANY security, zilch.

·
Registered
263 Posts
What's that white stuff on your rear fender--hope it's not wax

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What's that white stuff on your rear fender--hope it's not wax
Yes,

It is Nu-Finish wax. When I first got the bike I applied the wax all over even on the plastic because I did not know any better. I could just clean it with a rubber eraser but decided to leave it be. Maybe it will discourage the thieves from stealing my bike? Maybe.

I know it looks ugly but it is probably protecting the plastic from sun damage?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Yes,

It is Nu-Finish wax. When I first got the bike I applied the wax all over even on the plastic because I did not know any better. I could just clean it with a rubber eraser but decided to leave it be. Maybe it will discourage the thieves from stealing my bike? Maybe.

I know it looks ugly but it is probably protecting the plastic from sun damage?
Note to self- never put wax on textured plastic-if you ever want to fix that first use a brush and scrub the plastic with gas than soap and water-go to Auto zone or a place like that and get a product like Mothers back to black several coats will have it looking good

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The last time I just bought some big pencil eraser from Dollar Tree and you just rub it on and the white residue comes right off. Thats a secret of the detailers. =)

I am probably going to get that mess off of there within the month of November. But the good news is that it doesnt harm anything, just looks ugly until you take it back off.

Chicks probably dont like it, you are correct that I should just take that mess off of there.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello my 300cc friends,

Just wanted to bump this thread and would love to hear about your current anti-theft setup that you other guys are using?

I have decided to improve upon my current setup. Have added a front disc lock $15

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MXDB8X2

As well as a hard-wired alarm $19

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HTGWYBA/

And to make the alarm even louder I will wire a second siren via relay

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009SUEX6/

You can never be TOO CAREFUL in Miami, FL a city with one of the highest rates of motorcycle theft in the entire country.

I will be creating a tutorial on how to wire up the alarm with the dual sirens. I am predicting that the combined sirens will emanate a sound so loud that it will exceed 130 decibels and cause tremendous pain to the ears of the thieves. Enough pain to have them drop the bike and abort the mission.

The CB300F is so lightweight at 350 lbs that it can be easily picked up and carried away by only 2 men. But I will demonstrate to you how with only a $60 investment how you can stack the odds against the thieves and have them running away to "greener pastures".

I recommend all of you to take preventive measures to ensure that your bike stays put. Dont be one of the guys crying on reddit about your tale of loss. Spend a few dollars TODAY and ensure that you wont be the next guy crying inside your bowl of cereal and staring out at an empty driveway.

An ounce of prevention is worth more than a pound of cure.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I don't have any anti-theft measures at the moment... :eek:

I might be subconsciously hoping it gets swiped so I can step out on Suzuka... Just changed insurance, $250 deductible on the comprehensive.........

(Just kidding!)

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
rear disc lock with motion sensor alarm also good away from home.. harder to smash with hammer..
for main home security an uncroppable chain and covered quality lock will deter most..
around a solid tree thru wheel and swingarm direct between tree/post etc, ie not on the ground, thus depriving chain cutters with a solid base for cutting.. on board security/tracking for after the fact..
insurance is just that, insurance for if/when your bike is stolen.. thus insure above retail price..
but even a simple disc lock will deter casual lone thieves from riding or pushing away..

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, so here is my at-home setup:

I have rear wheel chained with the OnGuard 8020 Mastiff Integrated Key Chain Lock and secured to a concrete anchor Oxford OF439 BruteForce Hardened Bolt-Down Mini Ground Anchor

That is in addition to the $18 alarm that I installed from the previous post. Now I also have the $15 front brake disc lock shown here with a $1 orange piece of paracord from Dollar Tree:

And this is what the crooks can see from out in the street:

This may seem extreme but I have a very high threat model because I live in a very high-crime area of Miami, FL

I will create a separate post to describe my "away from home" setup because I leave the Mastiff chain lock at home because it is very heavy.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
if its just parked somewhere, especially a quiet area, they can simply break steering lock [legs and feet] then wheel her away [incl to a waiting van etc].. so motion sensors and disc locks have some value..

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
if its just parked somewhere, especially a quiet area, they can simply break steering lock [legs and feet] then wheel her away [incl to a waiting van etc].. so motion sensors and disc locks have some value..
Yes my friend,

Basically when the crook gets to work trying to defeat the disc lock or the chain he will set off the LOUD alarm and this will scare most crooks away. Basically this moto is too cheap for them to take the risk to sit there breaking the disc lock or even to pick up the bike to load it into a van or trailer........I mean with that loud obnoxious alarm it is going to draw way too much attention to them and they know this.

In most cases it will be enough danger for them to just abort mission and scurry off to find an easier target. In my city 95% of the bikes have ZERO anti-theft protection. So there is so much low-hanging fruit that it would not be logical for the crooks to bother with a $4000 bike that is not very popular in USA.

I think that I have definitely done enough to dis-sway 95% of the thieves. I have made it way too inconvenient, risky and time-consuming for them to steal a bike that is not very popular in USA.

As the old cliche goes "You dont have to outrun the bear, You just have to outrun your friends".

I think the majority of you guys just need the $18 alarm plus 1 other measure such as disc lock or chain. What I am doing is overkill for most situations. I probably wont use the front disc lock at home, I leave that in my backpack and use it when I am out and in a place where the moto will be unattended for over 1 hour or at Walmart parking lot and so forth. But certainly when I am out on the town and park the bike it will always have as a bare minimum the alarm activated plus the CLUB utility lock on the rear wheel with my helmet chained inside (See the first post)

Thats the minimum I would ever have, even in the Church parking lot I use those 2. And then add the front disc lock if bike will be unsupervised for over 1 hour or if in a sketchy area.

The best thing about this is that I can just relax wherever i am visiting and dont feel compelled to look out the window every 10 minutes or go out there to look to see if the bike is okay. The alarm is great, i had people "handling" my bike (while I was not around) and even fools that would sit on it and take selfies. And then of course we have vandals and hoodlums but the alarm will scare off all (mostly) of these knuckle-heads.

If you even touch the handlebars it will let off a series of chirps that are obnoxiously loud. Really love this alarm (The new $18 hard-wired alarm I mean, not that old wireless one from the first post)

·
Registered
391 Posts
A U-lock is quite useful while away. Feed it through the front fork leg and wheel spoke. The Trelock Titan was tested with cycles in New York some years ago and proved to resist attempts to steal the cycle. Light enough to fit in my topbox for use when out.
I also have a hard-wired sonic motion alarm.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts