Honda CBR 300 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone changed the rear spring preload?

When I got my bike it was on the 2 setting.

I am a heavy guy (98kg) and it made the rear travel to far when I sat on it. Currently have the bike on setting 4 and now I think its a bit too hard.. its good if I have a passenger..

What are others running?

Not sure if I should go down to 3...

·
Premium Member
5,458 Posts
Ive left mine on two (which is the standard setting) but I only weigh 60kg and it seems about right. One of limiting factors with suspension tweaking on this bike is that the front forks are non adjustable unless you pull them apart and change oil weights and various other mechanical mods. There's lots of threads on the cbr250.net website about these sorts of mods as the 250 forks are the same 37mm units that the 300 shares.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have my girlfriends on setting 3. before I had mine, and before I rode mine, lol.... we would ride hers all the time two up. I usually rode all my yamahas the same way, middle of the adj range. I have mine on setting 5. yeah, it is a bit rough lol. I don't mind. since I never know when I will ride two up, spur of the moment thing. I always have it set for two up. it is a lot easy to adjust tire pressure than fool with preload.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Anyone have any tips for adjusting the preload on the rear shock? I have the tool, but daym I have a difficult time keeping the wrench on there with a cheater in such a small amount of space. Must have taken me 30 minutes to adjust it up to setting #4 for 2 up riding. I'm tempted to just leave it there rather than adjust it every time.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Anyone have any tips for adjusting the preload on the rear shock? I have the tool, but daym I have a difficult time keeping the wrench on there with a cheater in such a small amount of space. Must have taken me 30 minutes to adjust it up to setting #4 for 2 up riding. I'm tempted to just leave it there rather than adjust it every time.
I personally leave mine regardless of two up, or just me. I have mine at 5 and my girlfriend at 3. I hate to say this, but I used a screw driver. I know, shame on me. it is a pain getting in there to make the adjustment. I would be curious to hear some tips too. we had a Suzuki gs500f. it was a pain as well and we had the tool. there was just one angle and I had to tough it out, lol.... I admit, I leave the Honda at the settings because it is such a pain to o back and forth. maybe someone can give us some good pointers.

Reactions: tperraut

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
4 is good when I have a passenger.. but I think it might be a a bit stiff.. have the rear skip a bit on bumpy roads.. and in Bangkok there are a lot of those.

Might put it down the 3. 5 seems strong..

To adjust it I am my bike parked on a surface which is higher then what I am standing on. Easier to get at with the bike up higher.

·
Premium Member
5,458 Posts
The adjusting tool is included in the tool kit that comes with the bike new. Its called a 'C' spanner cos of its shape.

·
Registered
236 Posts
My tool kit didn't have one. I called the dealer and asked about it. They told me that the CB300F doesn't come with one. That seems silly to me not to include one if they are going to make the preload adjustable on the bike. Oh well.

·
Premium Member
5,458 Posts
My tool kit didn't have one. I called the dealer and asked about it. They told me that the CB300F doesn't come with one. That seems silly to me not to include one if they are going to make the preload adjustable on the bike. Oh well.
That's really poor and cheap of Honda IMO. That tool would cost them a couple of bucks if that. You'd think your dealer would offer to get one for you out of good will. Crazy that the R gets it and the F doesn't.

·
Registered
73 Posts
same, both of our 300Rs did not come with the tool. We didn't ask though. We normally set it once and leave it. I was very surprised myself the tool was absent.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Up'ed my rear preload to '3' last night with the included spanner in my 300r, pretty easy job. Seems less squishy in the rear. Is there any adjustment for the front?

·
Premium Member
5,458 Posts
Up'ed my rear preload to '3' last night with the included spanner in my 300r, pretty easy job. Seems less squishy in the rear. Is there any adjustment for the front?
Nah the front forks are non adjustable. its one of those 'you get what you pay for' scenarios I guess.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Alberta Canada spanner wrench comes with my 300f i adjusted mine from factory 2 to 3 because i am a heavy driver will adjust it to 4 if i will have a passenger. It is pretty easy to do just go on the right side of the bike have the spanner ready and simply adjust it just make sure you place it on the right tooth i did hear it makes a sound upon adjustment makes me feel i did it right.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Here's a picture of my preload spanner tool.

Note My wife and I both have these tools in our tool kits that came with the CBR300RA.
Yeah this didn't come w/ my bike. Does anyone know the part# so I can order it? I guess I'll just walk into my dealer & ask for a preload spanner tool for my bike.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts