Honda CBR 300 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got these adjustable rear sets off ebay. They cost $230 NZD inc postage which is approx $150 USD. They came from China and received them in four days which I thought was impressive. There's heaps of them on ebay to chose from if interested. Different colors etc. They are listed as for the CBR250R.

Very happy with the quality of them at this stage, both levers pivot on a ball bearing and the linkage joints are the ball/rose/heim type so everything moves real smooth with no slop or friction.
My only criticism would be the cheapish non-folding tips. A friend of mine has the same rear sets and has replaced the tips with quality Woodcraft ones that fold back and look real trick. I may do same.

Fitting wise I had two issues. The recesses for the main mounting screws are just not quite big enough in the diameter for the heads of the OEM button head allen screws to recess in to. So I invested a whole $6 in four new 8mm button head allen screws. No big deal.
What was more of a drama though was that the thread on the front end of the gear linkage rod was right hand where as it needs to be left hand to screw into the OEM ball joint. Possibly this is because the 250R for which these rear sets are designed for has a right hand female thread on the front ball joint? Still trying to get to the bottom of that one before i send my e-mail of complaint!
I was able to get round this by raiding the now redundant OEM rear ball joint off the old gear linkage set up as it is left hand thread. Not a real easy swap tho as they are a press fit, not a screw on /screw off item.

On the whole I'm really happy with them. There are five positions for the pegs and I've got them set 1 inch further back than standard and 3/4 inch higher than standard. This compliments my lower bars for a more sporty riding position. Also has multi positions for the tips to accommodate different foot lengths.

They look a bit shiny at the moment as they are new but I'm super happy with the overall look and they feel good when riding.
It's tempting to say great value for money but will suspend judgement until I've put some miles on them. :D

Bicycle part Bicycle drivetrain part Auto part Tire Vehicle

Auto part Vehicle Tire Automotive exhaust Automotive tire

Vehicle Tire Auto part Automotive tire Brake

Vehicle Automotive tire Tire Alloy wheel Auto part

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Very very nice! If I was 20 years younger and did not ache so much sometimes I would consider a pair for my bike. Some body is going to get a nice "track" bike when you upgrade...;)

Reactions: kiwi rider

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
282 Posts
Nice bit of kit Kiwi. And what a clean bike you have. Mines now covered in crud, but underneath its smothered in ACF.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
I've had some dialogue with a member on the 250R site today about where he got his from and I have a link here for you.
He is in Canada tho but I see the prices are quoted in USD. Good price too!

Shop Honda CBR250R rear sets online Gallery - Buy Honda CBR250R rear sets for unbeatable low prices on AliExpress.com
Wow those are great prices! I buy from Aliexpress sometimes. Are they the same ones you got? I am actually installing my clip-ons right now. I have 1 side mounted but not fully bolted down yet. Gonna wait till I do the other side first. I noticed with the 7degree decline it pulls a bit on the clutch cable. If I pull my left bar all the way to the tank everything is cool..very close tho, but when i push it all the way towards the windscreen it seems to put some tension on the whole clutch cable. I looked at where the cable attaches to the tranny and it moves just literally a hair. I don't think that's a problem tho because it's still way within the clutch freeplay. But it is very tight from lock to lock. Is yours that way?
I love it tho, it looks awesome and can't wait to try it out. I have the grips for it but 1 had a slight defect on the inside. Can't see it and it does not pose any problems,but the dealer is sending me another pair which I expect today. Very simple job, just have to have the correct tools. Forget about those tiny allen keys, I bought all 3/8th inch hex sockets and everything is so much easier plus I can kinda keep an eye on my torque.
Will take pics once it's finished!

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow those are great prices! I buy from Aliexpress sometimes. Are they the same ones you got?

Clutch cable is very tight from lock to lock. Is yours that way?
Yes they look to be the same except I have rubbers on my pedal tips. I think there is a number of sellers selling pretty much the same kit.

Re: The clutch cable. Yes it ends up at a bit more an awkward angle with the clip ons but I've had no issues with it and Ive had the clip ons on for most of its life. Its still got that lovely easy pull that I like about our bike. Even the clutch on my GSXR400 feels like a work out after riding the 300!

@autopilot Thanks for the clean bike compliment, I'm pretty happy with the way it's lookin after 14 months and 8K miles.

Reactions: mikal

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Yes they look to be the same except I have rubbers on my pedal tips. I think there is a number of sellers selling pretty much the same kit.

Re: The clutch cable. Yes it ends up at a bit more an awkward angle with the clip ons but I've had no issues with it and Ive had the clip ons on for most of its life. Its still got that lovely easy pull that I like about our bike. Even the clutch on my GSXR400 feels like a work out after riding the 300!

@autopilot Thanks for the clean bike compliment, I'm pretty happy with the way it's lookin after 14 months and 8K miles.
I did end up finding the perfect angle that puts no pressure on any of the cables. So that's all good. But WOW what a huge difference. Now I definitely see why Rearsets are greatly wanted!

·
Registered
212 Posts
I got these adjustable rear sets off ebay. They cost $230 NZD inc postage which is approx $150 USD. They came from China and received them in four days which I thought was impressive. There's heaps of them on ebay to chose from if interested. Different colors etc. They are listed as for the CBR250R.

Very happy with the quality of them at this stage, both levers pivot on a ball bearing and the linkage joints are the ball/rose/heim type so everything moves real smooth with no slop or friction.
My only criticism would be the cheapish non-folding tips. A friend of mine has the same rear sets and has replaced the tips with quality Woodcraft ones that fold back and look real trick. I may do same.

Fitting wise I had two issues. The recesses for the main mounting screws are just not quite big enough in the diameter for the heads of the OEM button head allen screws to recess in to. So I invested a whole $6 in four new 8mm button head allen screws. No big deal.
What was more of a drama though was that the thread on the front end of the gear linkage rod was right hand where as it needs to be left hand to screw into the OEM ball joint. Possibly this is because the 250R for which these rear sets are designed for has a right hand female thread on the front ball joint? Still trying to get to the bottom of that one before i send my e-mail of complaint!
I was able to get round this by raiding the now redundant OEM rear ball joint off the old gear linkage set up as it is left hand thread. Not a real easy swap tho as they are a press fit, not a screw on /screw off item.

On the whole I'm really happy with them. There are five positions for the pegs and I've got them set 1 inch further back than standard and 3/4 inch higher than standard. This compliments my lower bars for a more sporty riding position. Also has multi positions for the tips to accommodate different foot lengths.

They look a bit shiny at the moment as they are new but I'm super happy with the overall look and they feel good when riding.
It's tempting to say great value for money but will suspend judgement until I've put some miles on them. :D

View attachment 12218

View attachment 12226

View attachment 12234

View attachment 12242
Rode about my last week on motorways and was thinking about a set of rear sets to improve the riding position as I felt my feet were too far forward.

Trying to avoid to spending any money on my CBR300R with the revamped CBR500R, new CBR400R and potential new CBR250RR being available in 2016 .........

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Rode about my last week on motorways and was thinking about a set of rear sets to improve the riding position as I felt my feet were too far forward.

Trying to avoid to spending any money on my CBR300R with the revamped CBR500R, new CBR400R and potential new CBR250RR being available in 2016 .........
Yep I know where your coming from with the not wanting to spend too much money on the bike thing. I'm thinkin this is my last splurge!

Ive just returned home after a 200mile ride and I'm lovin the new position. Possibly a touch more vibration through the pegs but not annoyingly so. Its great to have the adjustabilty too.

Reactions: CDNHONDAR

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
When installing rearsets that come with a longer shift linkage rod should i just adjust it till it reaches the shifter linkage? Or do I have to play around going through each gear and adjusting the new rod as I go? Also how do I know what the correct spot (sweet spot) is on the gear shift pedal?
The sweet spot is the position that feels sweet to you :D
I like mine set quite low but its a personal thing. If you cant get enough adjustment using the linkage rod then you take the link arm off and turn it on the spline slightly before re-fitting it.

Adjusting the rear sets is the same principle as the linkage rod on the OEM set up. You have a left hand thread on one end and a right hand thread on the other. You loosen both jam nuts and turn the adjusting tube. The only difference is that with the rear sets like mine the threads are female or internal as its a hollow aluminium tube rather than a steel rod with external threads like the OEM set up.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
The sweet spot is the position that feels sweet to you :D
I like mine set quite low but its a personal thing. If you cant get enough adjustment using the linkage rod then you take the link arm off and turn it on the spline slightly before re-fitting it.

Adjusting the rear sets is the same principle as the linkage rod on the OEM set up. You have a left hand thread on one end and a right hand thread on the other. You loosen both jam nuts and turn the adjusting tube. The only difference is that with the rear sets like mine the threads are female or internal as its a hollow aluminium tube rather than a steel rod with external threads like the OEM set up.
OK, well maybe I'm not explaining my question correctly. Maybe because it's a newbie question lol. After installing the rearsets can I simply adjust the link rod to the exact length to where it meets the shifter pedal and snap it on? Or do I have to do a bunch of adjustments and possible screw up how it shifts? For example if i made the rod too long I would get locked out of gears or not be able to shift into neutral? Maybe I better search my friend "google" . I always tend to over-complicate things lol

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OK, well maybe I'm not explaining my question correctly. Maybe because it's a newbie question lol. After installing the rearsets can I simply adjust the link rod to the exact length to where it meets the shifter pedal and snap it on? Or do I have to do a bunch of adjustments and possible screw up how it shifts? For example if i made the rod too long I would get locked out of gears or not be able to shift into neutral? Maybe I better search my friend "google" . I always tend to over-complicate things lol
Sent you a PM

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ive got the same ones in black. Make sure to put loctite on all those bolts. Had the shift lever come off mine while riding down the highway
Did you also have to swap around your OEM ball joints to be able to attach the gear shift linkage rod/tube or were all the threads correct?

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
just on the $ aspect, one possible option
is yoshimura rear set brackets..
they fit [perfectly] between existing
footpeg mounts and the frame..
with two optional peg positions
of 40 or 30mm up and/or back..

these are very well made and machined
by yoshimura to fill this need for
adjustable height/reach without
going for full replacement
rear sets, by using the existing
[excellent] pegs and brackets..

Amazon.com: Yoshimura Rear Set Brackets Two Position Offset Black Honda CBR250R 2011: Automotive
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/yoshimura-rearset-brackets-honda-cbr250r-cbr300r-cb300f

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Follow up to earlier comment:

So after 10 e-mails (no exaggeration) to the outfit in China I got these rear sets off they have agreed to change their gear linkage set up so that it screws straight into the CBR250/300R without any mods necessary.
MotoMike tells me the 250R has the same front ball joint (with left hand female thread) as the 300R, as suspected.

Its sounds promising but I'm reserving judgement until i receive the two new parts they are sending me.
To be fair they have been very good to deal with and seem keen to resolve this issue for future purchasers. It was only the language barrier that made this a drawn out business. Will keep ya'll posted.

Reactions: CDNHONDAR

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
So after 10 e-mails (no exaggeration) to the outfit in China I got these rear sets off they have agreed to change their gear linkage set up so that it screws straight into the CBR250/300R without any mods necessary.

Its sounds promising but I'm reserving judgement until i receive the two new parts they are sending me.
So here's the two parts I was sent and all future purchasers will receive these also.

Basically they have changed the supplied M6 threaded stud to a left hand threaded item rather than a right hand one so that now you can now screw into the front OEM ball joint once you remove the OEM adjusting rod.
Then you turn their supplied adjusting rod around the other way and at the gear lever end it now screws onto a supplied ball joint (the other item in the photo) that has a right hand thread where as before it was left hand.

Confused? You should be! :confused: but it all makes sense if you have the kit and the bike in front of you and you can piece it all together.

Ive done about 500 miles on the rear sets now and are really happy with the ergonomics.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 25 Posts