Honda CBR 300 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OP let us know how you go with this... I am very interested.

Makes me think I better check my Oil.

Been very lazy the past month... just jump on and ride to work.. have not even looked at the oil.

Oil change this weekend.. almost at 6000klm... so will do an oil change with no filter change.

·
Premium Member
5,461 Posts
Changing the oil only and not doing the filter at the same time is not recommended. You are pretty much contaminating that fresh oil straight away as it's pumped through the old dirty filter. Filters are cheaper than engine repairs.

It's a shame Honda didn't fit an external spin on type filter to this bike like most cars and some motorcycles have. Its quick and easy plus relatively fool proof.
You could cross-thread it I guess...;)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Changing the oil only and not doing the filter at the same time is not recommended. You are pretty much contaminating that fresh oil straight away as it's pumped through the old dirty filter. Filters are cheaper than engine repairs.

It's a shame Honda didn't fit an external spin on type filter to this bike like most cars and some motorcycles have. Its quick and easy plus relatively fool proof.
You could cross-thread it I guess...;)
I didn't realize this was the case. I changed the oil at 800 miles(first service) and didn't change the filter. Should I change the filter now? If I do, should I change the oil again, even though I'm only 350 miles in?

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
I didn't realize this was the case. I changed the oil at 800 miles(first service) and didn't change the filter. Should I change the filter now? If I do, should I change the oil again, even though I'm only 350 miles in?
I would... and you can change the oil filter, without having to drain the oil that you just put in it. With the bike on the side stand, you won't loose very much oil when you take the filter cover off... maybe a few ounces. You'll just need to top it off after you've got the new filter installed.

Reactions: shisoshin

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
Yes, always change the filter when doing an oil change. The Honda OEM oil filter (p/n 15410-KYJ-901) costs about $5 USD, so there's no reason not to change it out with every oil change.

Reactions: King CobRa

·
Registered
58 Posts
I would... and you can change the oil filter, without having to drain the oil that you just put in it. With the bike on the side stand, you won't loose very much oil when you take the filter cover off... maybe a few ounces. You'll just need to top it off after you've got the new filter installed.
Thanks! I'll order one now.

EDIT: Where do you guys buy your OEM parts? Almost every website has $15-20 shipping and I live in the US. Bikebandit is only $7 shipping but I'm looking to see if anyone has a bit cheaper? If not I'll just pay $13 for mine on Bikebandit.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I've signed up with the 3 area Honda Dealers. They often have 20-25% off coupons on a single in-stock item. Alamo Cycle Plex in San Antonio has these coupons once a month or so, including last Sat. when I rode there to buy a crush washer. Think I saved any money? LOL I buy 1 crush washer. It's not to save money because riding 100 miles wouldn't save anything but I ride somewhere every day anyway and you get to check out new inventory. I think a Fram oil filter from Walmart, etc.(CH6015) would be fine for this kind of filter. They are a little cheaper than oem. They sure look almost identical to the oem filter anyway. I would pick up some Rotella T6 oil while I was there. IMO, it's outstanding oil and less than half the cost of most other synthetic oil.

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
Thanks! I'll order one now.

EDIT: Where do you guys buy your OEM parts? Almost every website has $15-20 shipping and I live in the US. Bikebandit is only $7 shipping but I'm looking to see if anyone has a bit cheaper? If not I'll just pay $13 for mine on Bikebandit.
I use a couple different online dealers, depending on how many dollars worth of parts I need and who has the best shipping deal based on my order total.

I don't have any Honda dealers close to where I live (nearest Honda dealer is 65 miles away) so it only makes sense for me to order my parts online.

If for example I just need a few filters, cover gaskets, crush washers, and other small items, I'll order these from Partzilla.com as they have $5.95 flat rate shipping on orders up to $60.

To make the $5.95 shipping charge worthwhile I'll order 4 or 5 oil filters, a couple cover gaskets, and 5 or 6 crush washers. It's nice to have extras of these parts on hand so that whenever I'm needing to do an oil change I don't have to mess around placing an order at the last minute. I also like to keep a stock of extra bulbs, fuses, a couple fairing screws, etc. so that if the need arises, I've already got them.

If I have a bunch parts to order that total $100+, I'll order from Honda East Toledo as they offer free shipping on orders over $100. (Partzilla doesn't have free shipping until your order reaches $250 or more.)

Both of these online dealers have comparable discount prices on OEM Honda parts... usually about 30% off of MSRP.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I use a couple different online dealers, depending on how many dollars worth of parts I need and who has the best shipping deal based on my order total.

I don't have any Honda dealers close to where I live (nearest Honda dealer is 65 miles away) so it only makes sense for me to order my parts online.

If for example I just need a few filters, cover gaskets, crush washers, and other small items, I'll order these from Partzilla.com as they have $5.95 flat rate shipping on orders up to $60.

To make the $5.95 shipping charge worthwhile I'll order 4 or 5 oil filters, a couple cover gaskets, and 5 or 6 crush washers. It's nice to have extras of these parts on hand so that whenever I'm needing to do an oil change I don't have to mess around placing an order at the last minute. I also like to keep a stock of extra bulbs, fuses, a couple fairing screws, etc. so that if the need arises, I've already got them.

If I have a bunch parts to order that total $100+, I'll order from Honda East Toledo as they offer free shipping on orders over $100. (Partzilla doesn't have free shipping until your order reaches $250 or more.)

Both of these online dealers have comparable discount prices on OEM Honda parts... usually about 30% off of MSRP.
Thank a lot! I'll see if I can get a few other parts on here to make it worth it

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
OP let us know how you go with this... I am very interested.

Makes me think I better check my Oil.

Been very lazy the past month... just jump on and ride to work.. have not even looked at the oil.

Oil change this weekend.. almost at 6000klm... so will do an oil change with no filter change.
It's a good practice to check the oil level periodically. For a bike being used to commute daily, I'd say check at least it once a week.

Why would you not change the oil filter at the same time you change the engine oil?

Reactions: Bkkthumper

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's a good practice to check the oil level periodically. For a bike being used to commute daily, I'd say check at least it once a week.

Why would you not change the oil filter at the same time you change the engine oil?
Change the Oil filter at the recommended service time/km interval. Just do another oil change in the middle.. its hot here just encase the oil is starting to break down.. not to clean it. So don't do the filter.

Its not like the oil is flowing in reverse through the filter and get all the dirt back into it.

Just my opinion.

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
Change the Oil filter at the recommended service time/km interval. Just do another oil change in the middle.. its hot here just encase the oil is starting to break down.. not to clean it. So don't do the filter.

Its not like the oil is flowing in reverse through the filter and get all the dirt back into it.

Just my opinion.
Still, I would also change the oil filter at that 6000 km (3700 mile) interval. Personally, I think Honda's recommended oil & filter change interval of 12,800 km (8000 miles) is kind of pushing the interval too far, after all it only holds 1.5 liters. I prefer to change my oil & oil filter every 6400 km (4000 miles). Even at that more frequent interval, the drained oil comes out pretty dark. As they say, the best oil is clean oil... and I don't see the point of running new, clean oil through a dirty oil filter. Besides these filters are not very expensive, about half the cost of the oil that you're putting into the engine.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Why are you guys doing your own oil changes? Is this in between services? As far as I know, warranty requires professional servicing by the logbook, so doing it yourself will invalidate the warranty. That's OK of course, if you think the pros outweigh the cons (Hondas and most other makes are pretty **** bulletproof these days) but you have to be aware of the risks.

As for filter changes, these are pretty important when the bike is new, because new engines shed more metal particles as they wear-in, but less important on a fully run-in engine. However, while I might risk leaving the filter alone for an oil change between the recommended intervals, I would not leave it in there for any longer.

Also, please be aware that some manufacturers are said to ship new bikes with 'special' oil installed, which is intentionally designed to permit higher friction to shorten run-in mileage; if so, there is a high probability that the filter installed in the factory is heavily contaminated with metal particles by 1000klms or so (the first service interval here in Australia) and I would be keen to bin it asap.

·
Premium Member
5,461 Posts
Also, please be aware that some manufacturers are said to ship new bikes with 'special' oil installed, which is intentionally designed to permit higher friction to shorten run-in mileage; if so, there is a high probability that the filter installed in the factory is heavily contaminated with metal particles by 1000klms or so (the first service interval here in Australia) and I would be keen to bin it asap.
I did my first change at 600km from memory and pulled the filter apart as I was curious to see how much metal contamination was in there. Heaps!
I do my own changes as nearest dealer is 160km away.
More importantly, I don't fancy giving him my money :D

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I did my first change at 600km from memory and pulled the filter apart as I was curious to see how much metal contamination was in there. Heaps!
I do my own changes as nearest dealer is 160km away.
More importantly, I don't fancy giving him my money :D
So you have let your warranty go? I don't think that is a biggie, just curious.

·
Premium Member
5,461 Posts
I remember asking the dealer about this when I got my 250R new and he said it wouldn't be a problem if I did it myself... may vary from country to country tho.
Not expecting any bother with it being a Honda!

·
Registered
1 Posts
hello,

That is bad thing u too lazy. You know that, this issue emerges when oil channel is not supplanted all the time; it will get obstructed and won't have the capacity to pass oil into the motor. Uproot and supplant motor oil and filter. Check the state of all liquids. Perform essential well being examination. Begin the vehicle and check leak system. It is best to take after the upkeep calendar gave by the maker this procedure is finished via auto mechanics.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
Why are you guys doing your own oil changes? Is this in between services? As far as I know, warranty requires professional servicing by the logbook, so doing it yourself will invalidate the warranty. That's OK of course, if you think the pros outweigh the cons (Hondas and most other makes are pretty **** bulletproof these days) but you have to be aware of the risks.
Depends on the terms of the Honda New Motorcycle Warranty for your specific country... here in the US, according to federal law under the Moss - Magnuson Warranty Act, a manufacturer of consumer products cannot stipulate that regular service & scheduled maintenance be done by a dealer in order to keep the warranty in effect. If a manufacturer did stipulate that all maintenance be done by a dealer, they would have to provide those services free of charge.

If you do any of the scheduled maintenance yourself, you only need to have some sort of evidence available that shows that the services were done, ie. receipts for parts, photographs, etc. Having this evidence or proof could come into play in the event a warranty issue arises down the road, which could be related to 'lack of proper maintenance'.

Reactions: Zodd

·
Registered
282 Posts
Sh*t you guys in the States have one **** of a time getting your bikes maintained, what with the distances you live from dealers etc.
makes my life sound really easy here in the UK with a number of dealers on the doorstep so to speak and the service is always good.
Courtesy bikes and no long waiting times for service work.
Big respect to you all. Keep on keeping on.;)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts