doing your own oil and filter changes in australia
simply keep dockets for oil and filter in your log
book/notebook.. with dates etc..
i use honda gn4 oil change kit which has
everything in the box, incl 2 liters of oil
allowing for extra top ups etc..

filters by their name alone are designed to filter
particles of metal etc out of the oil flow into
and around moving parts in your engine..
filters are thus a compromise to begin with..

trapping particles in filter reduces oil flow..
this is most evident during first run in phase..
i have always done an oil change [and filter]
after riding my previous new road hondas home..

cbr250r was used with 600km, so she got
an immediate change.. cbr300r got hers
at about 250km..

just a thought - when i put exactly how much oil
i want into my motorcycle, i know that to be so
and i know exactly what oil goes in there..

i know that the filter is in the right way
and that gaskets are flush etc, and that
cover bolts have not been overtightened
and are tightened sequentially/evenly..

most people, are completely trustworthy..

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
This is straight from Honda's warranty terms:

In order to take advantage of the HONDA limited warranty, you must have maintenance performed according to the schedule (contained in the relevant owners manual supplied with this product), by an authorised HONDA dealer.

You are free to have your HONDA product serviced by any suitably qualified mechanic and this will not affect your statutory warranties, however, failure by the owner to have the recommended servicing carried out by an authorised HONDA dealer means that you cannot take advantage of the Honda limited warranty.

That second paragraph states that you can have your bike serviced elsewhere and still have basic consumer rights (fit for purpose etc) , but you lose the 'extra benefits' in your Honda warranty.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Honda Canada's Motorcycle Warranty states:

THE OWNER’S OBLIGATION
In order to maintain the validity of this DISTRIBUTORʼS WARRANTY, the required maintenance services as set forth
in the Ownerʼs Manual must be performed at the proper intervals and detailed receipts and records retained as proof.
Glad I can carry on doing my own service. JNO's post had me worried there for a bit.

Edited to add a link for those who like the proof. Quoted paragraph is at the top of page 5.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
clearly honda allows for owners to change oil/filters by specific instructions in owners manual as to changing/type of oil etc..
i use honda gn4 oil change kits; 2L graduated plastic bottles of
honda gn4 20w-30 engine oil, filter, gasket, washer, in a box..
purchased from honda dealer, for me to use in my honda..

honda recommends using honda dealer for oil change
due to 'special tools' used for oil change..
any good diy video etc, incl on this site
includes 'special tools' needed for this
simple routine maintenance job..

if youre concerned about proof of correct maintenance
then aside from retaining receipts for oil, filters etc,
in your log book [any notebook] along with dates, miles etc,
borrow some kids mobile phone and take images of
the new filter installed correctly before replacing cover,
[the main serious potential problem] and of oil levels
as you pour in your new oil, etc..

consumer laws in relation to warranties incl implied
warranty matters are biassed towards the consumer..
clearly honda intends owners to do oil changes [etc]..

if you alter air intake, resulting in detonation [say]
then thats down to you as the causative factor..
if you change oil with recommended oil and filter
within recommended mileage, ensuring filter is
installed correctly, and if you keep records of
the event incl receipts etc, this cant be
a warranty factor for engine failure etc..

honda service manager assured me [while transferring
warranty to my name for used cbr250r that if i keep
receipts and proof of purchase etc, my warranty
would be safe..

this seems to be the general consensus of opinion
relative to motorcycles generally and to honda
engines of various sorts, in aust and usa at least..

you can understand concern for new owners
installing filters backwards or overfilling oil,
incl from specific directions in owners manual,
yet maintenance schedule list includes degree of
difficulty icons, for 'medium' etc, for which there is
no icon for oil or filter [changing, top-up etc]..

ie, it is intended to include diy by owners..

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
clearly honda allows for owners to change oil/filters by specific instructions in owners manual as to changing/type of oil etc..

honda service manager assured me [while transferring
warranty to my name for used cbr250r that if i keep
receipts and proof of purchase etc, my warranty
would be safe..

this seems to be the general consensus of opinion
relative to motorcycles generally and to honda
engines of various sorts, in aust and usa at least..

This is a matter that needs unequivocal resolution, because as far as I am concerned (and I deal with contract law all the time) Honda's warranty is invalidated in Australia if servicing within the warranty period is not performed by a dealer.

I am NOT saying that I agree with this, only that I read the terms and conditions that way. I worry that some people may confuse their rights as consumers with their rights to the additional benefits awarded under the warranty. Basic consumer rights do NOT provide much protection against component failure months after purchase, requiring substantial evidence that the manufacturer is at fault, whereas the Honda warranty (as per most manufacturer's warranties) provides much more protection.

Looking at this from Honda's POV, if you do all the servicing yourself then ask them to replace a seized engine, wouldn't YOU want evidence that the engine had received the required maintenance, and surely the only way they can be sure is by creating a network of approved servicing agents? A receipt for oil is not evidence that you actually put it in the bike.

I don't agree that services (being simple procedures) must be performed by dealers, but you only have to browse this forum to realise there are owners out there who haven't yet figured out how to perform low-speed maneuvers, let alone do an oil change.

If consumer law in your country allows DIY servicing, lucky for you, but I suggest that you carefully review the T&Cs before you go ahead.

·
Registered
6 Posts
has anyone else had trouble with the four little bolts that hold on the oil filter cap?
I've been very diligent following the given torque specs for each and every nut and bolt on my 300f, but today i managed to snap one of the afore mentioned bolts.
While tightening it it did occur to me that it was taking too many rotations and not applying any more torque but sure enough it popped off.
I was worried i stripped the internal threads but luckily that didn't happen,
There appear to be (steel?) threaded sleeves fitted into the holes for the screws to turn inside, sure hope it didn't come loose.

·
Super Moderator
5,704 Posts
has anyone else had trouble with the four little bolts that hold on the oil filter cap?
The best way to tighten those bolts is to err on the side of too little tightening pressure rather than too much. You can always go back and give them another tweak if you get some weeping from around the gasket but its too late if you've already snapped the head off a bolt or stripped a thread.
Personally I prefer to tighten them by feel rather than what some manual thinks I should be tightening them to. Don't believe everything you read!

·
Registered
225 Posts
I did my first oil change @ 250 mi. It had tons of metal shavings in the drain pan, and a few noticeable ones in the filter. I filled it up with 1.6 liters of Honda 10w30, new crush washer, new filter, new gasket. I plan my next oil change to be at 600 miles.

The sightglass showed it to be right at the "high" mark on the casing after putting in 1.6 liters. Will that level be okay to run?

·
Premium Member
3,014 Posts
I did my first oil change @ 250 mi. It had tons of metal shavings in the drain pan, and a few noticeable ones in the filter. I filled it up with 1.6 liters of Honda 10w30, new crush washer, new filter, new gasket. I plan my next oil change to be at 600 miles.

The sightglass showed it to be right at the "high" mark on the casing after putting in 1.6 liters. Will that level be okay to run?
It will be fine. For your next oil change, the capacity is actually 1.5 liters with the oil filter change.

FWIW, you could run it on this new oil to 1000 to 1500 miles without any concern. You won't gain much by changing it again at 600 miles, as all the initial wear took place in the first 100 miles or so.

Reactions: jkautz

·
Registered
66 Posts
Dealer Oil & Filter replacement cost?

I just asked my dealer how much for a oil & filter change - AUD180 was the reply. This is in Brisbane northside.

Seems a little over the top to me, but I have absolutely zilch experience in bike servicing. The bike has only 280km on the clock, but from what I've read it is wise to err on the side of caution and have it changed early.
Does AUD180 seem reasonable?

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I just asked my dealer how much for a oil & filter change - AUD180 was the reply. This is in Brisbane northside.

Seems a little over the top to me, but I have absolutely zilch experience in bike servicing. The bike has only 280km on the clock, but from what I've read it is wise to err on the side of caution and have it changed early.
Call around to other dealers letting them know that you're price shopping in order to find a permanent / reasonable place for servicing. Also try reaching out to independent shops or individuals...

Many folks would recommend following a DIY (do it yourself) as well.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts

I paid AUD260 or so, for the first service, which is essentially an oil & filter change (TeamMoto Springwood). I could easily do it myself for 50 bucks or so, but in Australia, that would invalidate my warranty. If your bike still has a good chunk of warranty left, it might be worth paying the dealer's charge just for peace of mind. If it only has a short time left to run, maybe find somewhere cheaper.

Once the warranty has expired, I'll be doing all the servicing myself, though I only do a couple of thousand K's per year, so it will be a while!

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
if its the first service, they will [or should] go right over the bike
checking and adjusting 'everything'.. motorcycle assembly
isnt done in heaven and things often need a touch up..

you pay people by the hour for their [or dealers] time/costs..
even without mechanical experience, an oil change is easy
and something anyone capable of riding the bike can do..

pick up a honda oil kit which contains everything in a box..
or buy separately, being sure to get motorcycle type oil..
- there are heaps of diy type instructions here and other
forums [eg cbr250r] breaking it down for anyone -

you will need to do oil changes sooner or later anyway..
and doing it yourself you know, what and how much
goes in there.. otherwise you simply never know..

it really is easy.. getting together a few things such as
something to catch the oil in [anything] and a few tools
perhaps a funnel to make it easier, is not a problem
and will be there for next time..

think of it as an enjoyable activity
with your motorcycle..

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yes, always change the filter when doing an oil change. The Honda OEM oil filter (p/n 15410-KYJ-901) costs about $5 USD, so there's no reason not to change it out with every oil change.
Aside from having to take that delicate faring off every time... I’m ready to take a hole-saw to that right side any minute now!!! 🤣

·
Registered
509 Posts
Aside from having to take that delicate faring off every time... I’m ready to take a hole-saw to that right side any minute now!!! 🤣
Just make a hex key to get the front bolt out without removing the main fairing. Keep both sides of lower fairing together and drop them down out of the way. Once you get the hang of it you'll be surprised how simple it all is.
I know I have a CB300R now but for 4½ years I had a CBR300R so had plenty of experience with it.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts