Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Honda is making a CBR250R ABS Special Edition bike, though it is unclear right now if it will be available outside of the Japanese market. Apparently 250cc sport bikes are extremely popular in Japan. In the US they are gaining popularity, but are not as popular as in Japan.

The most eye-catching thing about the Honda CBR250R ABS Special Edition is its MotoGP Repsol livery. The special edition bike also shares the front cowl with the CBR300 machine.

As far as tech goes, the CBR250R ABS Special Edition is the same as the stock version, with 29 horsepower coming from its 250cc single-cylinder engine.

So mostly its cosmetic I guess, but it is a good looking bike.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Repsol 300R

Perhaps a preview from Honda Japan. Japan will still be sold the CBR250R however the bodywork has been updated to match the 300R, interestingly Japan also will be getting the Repsol scheme right off the bat. As far as i know we've had no confirmation that the Repsol livery will be offered on the 300R to European or American markets...

Repsol-replica mini CBR launched - Motorcycle news: New bikes - Visordown

won't lie though, would love to see an Estrella Galicia livery sold on the 300R, would be great to tie branding in :D Although I suppose EG isn't a full on Factory team like Repsol...

BUT STILL

·
Super Moderator
3,009 Posts
Yeah, the Japanese Repsol version of the updated CBR250R has been shown at a number of international motorcycles shows over the past few months, and was first shown at the show last October in China where the CBR300R was first introduced to the world.

This latest version of Repsol graphics looks pretty good on the new bodywork, IMO better than the previous Repsol version of the 2012 CBR250R... to my eye, it's the addition of larger amounts of white (just like this years MotoGP factory Honda's of Marquez & Pedrosa) to the Repsol livery.

You're right about the Estrella Galicia Moto3 team, they are a privately owned and operated team, and just like the other Moto3 teams running the Honda RS250FW, EG buys those bikes from Honda Racing Corporation (aka HRC) as "customer race bikes". Neither Honda Motor Co., nor HRC have a factory team in Moto3*... so it's highly unlikely you'd ever see a production Honda street bike sporting the EG livery.

* that's not to say these Moto3 "customer teams" racing the RS250FW don't receive a great deal of technical support from HRC... they actually do.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Yeah, the Japanese Repsol version of the updated CBR250R has been shown at a number of international motorcycles shows over the past few months, and was first shown at the show last October in China where the CBR300R was first introduced to the world.

This latest version of Repsol graphics looks pretty good on the new bodywork, IMO better than the previous Repsol version of the 2012 CBR250R... to my eye, it's the addition of larger amounts of white (just like this years MotoGP factory Honda's of Marquez & Pedrosa) to the Repsol livery.

You're right about the Estrella Galicia Moto3 team, they are a privately owned and operated team, and just like the other Moto3 teams running the Honda RS250FW, EG buys those bikes from Honda Racing Corporation (aka HRC) as "customer race bikes". Neither Honda Motor Co., nor HRC have a factory team in Moto3*... so it's highly unlikely you'd ever see a production Honda street bike sporting the EG livery.

* that's not to say these Moto3 "customer teams" racing the RS250FW don't receive a great deal of technical support from HRC... they actually do.
Indeed, I have a feeling EG may be more equal in that sense than some of the others. Although I have no clue I'm just basing it off the shared Repsol sponsorship, the only two teams on the grid with Repsol are the HRC Factory boys and EG. Although even the Factory team has sponsorship with EG

But it would be a pretty livery :D

·
Super Moderator
3,009 Posts
Indeed, I have a feeling EG may be more equal in that sense than some of the others. Although I have no clue I'm just basing it off the shared Repsol sponsorship, the only two teams on the grid with Repsol are the HRC Factory boys and EG. Although even the Factory team has sponsorship with EG

But it would be a pretty livery :D
Repsol is a secondary sponsor for EG Moto3 team, whereas Repsol is the primary sponsor for the factory Honda MotoGP team. And of course they are not on the same grid.

·
Super Moderator
3,009 Posts
BTW, this ^ photo of Alex Rins is from last season, riding last year's version of the Honda RS250FW.

The photo below is of Alex Rins on this season's bike, taken during Friday free practice a couple weeks ago in Austin, Texas. This year's RS250FW has a number of changes from last season's bike... most noticeable are the differences in front fender shape, the oval shape of the air intake duct in the front cowl (last year's air duct has a trapezoidal shape), as well as the slight change to the Repsol graphics on the lower cowl. The redesigned RS250FW for this season also has twin exhaust cans tucked up under the tail*, where last year's bike had a single low mounted exhaust pipe (as shown in your pic).

* as shown in my sig photo of Alex Marquez below, which is from a night race earlier this season.

·
Registered
162 Posts
So are you saying that the blue REPSOL livery is also going on sale or is on sale? I'm just confused because the thread went from one model to another it seems to me. Would you guys ride a bike with a racing livery like these, or do you prefer something more street style?

·
Super Moderator
3,009 Posts
So are you saying that the blue REPSOL livery is also going on sale or is on sale? I'm just confused because the thread went from one model to another it seems to me. Would you guys ride a bike with a racing livery like these, or do you prefer something more street style?
No, it's not for sale, nor is it even remotely likely that the EG livery will ever find its way onto a production bike from Honda. I suppose this thread slide off the rails a bit when Cropper expressed his desire to see a production street Honda (presumably a CBR300R?) offered with the EG livery... in other words, it's just wishful thinking.

As for the latest CBR250R Repsol version that is shown in the first post of this thread, the only market currently slated for this bike is the Japanese market. Some are speculating that Honda may offer a Repsol CBR300R for other markets as they did in 2012 for the CBR250R, but at this point nothing has been confirmed.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm sure that even if you don't get this exact Repsol livery straight from Honda, you could definitely find something similar to stick onto your bike as a vinyl. I bet there would even be more options so in some ways it might be better.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Repsol is a secondary sponsor for EG Moto3 team, whereas Repsol is the primary sponsor for the factory Honda MotoGP team. And of course they are not on the same grid.
EG is definitely more equal to HRC than the other moto3 teams...

With HRC set to bring out a ‘KTM Killer’ Moto3 machine next season with a much more powerful engine, Alzamora has volunteered the Estrella Galicia team of Rins and Marquez (if, that is, Rins doesn’t win the title and stays in Moto3). Honda know they must have a top team and top riders if their new and more powerful Moto3 bike is to stand a chance of actually beating the KTMs.

If the Estrella Galicia team switches from their current KTM to Honda, Alzamora would become part of the Honda structure, acquire a more prominent role inside HRC, and wield a good deal more influence. At the moment, Alzamora wears MM93 (Marquez’s own merchandising brand) gear in the garage, and is not listed as a team member, as Honda hold his defection from the Suter Hondas to KTM for the 2013 season against him. Running Hondas again would bring him back into the fold.
Alzaroma is MArquez's manager The Dangerous Power Struggle Inside Repsol Honda

1 - 19 of 19 Posts