Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

Ride Reports

33K views 214 replies 34 participants last post by  kiwi rider 
#1 ·
Feel free to add your ride reports here, previously I've been putting mine in the 'what did you do to your CBR300 today" thread which seems a bit out of place.

Anyways it was another great late summer weekend here so i headed off on the bike over into the neighboring province on a 500 mile excursion.
Firstly i called on my parents for a night then the next day I carried on further afield and up along the edge of Lake Wakatipu to visit an old friend who lives at the head of it.
Great twisties, some of the best in the province, nice and wide with good chip. Had a blast. :D Good lake views too.
Unfortunately the last 6 miles to my friends place is gravel. :serious:
It handles it OK but i don't particularly enjoy it.
Got to do the twisties again on the way home tho, yee ha!
A few snaps taken along the way:

Attachments

See less See more
#14 ·
Late breakfast stop on today's ride, about a 210k loop of the tablelands today. the last stretch was down to 4 bikes including me.
That's great you have a bunch of guys and gals to do regular rides with.
I've been past that pub but not in it. Used to work for a Dairy farmer near Millaa Millaa about 25 years ago when i was a fresh faced foot peg scraper.
Great riding to be had on and around the Tablelands and a bit cooler up there too.

#15 ·
Not sure if the Ride thread is trail bike friendly or not (let me know if you'd rather it CB/R300 rides only) but my ride for the day was dirt based and good fun.

One of my work colleagues has just bought a '99 model XR200 (white one) that's in reasonable shape so after a quick change of some leaking fork seals this morning we headed out on one of my fave rides to give it a work out.
A good mix of challenging narrow track with a few big boulders and deep water holes thrown in to keep you on your toes or should that be foot pegs.
The little 200 went well, ample power for this sort of gnarly terrain, let down only by too soft suspension and crappy drum brakes compared to my 250.
Fortunately he was bought up on a farm and has good riding skills so we were able to keep the pace up and have some fun, as the smile on my face suggests. :D

Attachments

#19 ·
Organised trail ride event

I did my first organised trail ride yst with a couple of riding buddies. One of the local schools in my area marked a track through farm land and the foot hills of a local mountain range as a fund raiser event.
Unfortunately we got two days of rain preceding the event which made it very greasy and challenging. I lost count of how many times I ditched my bike and I'm sitting here typing this with some very sore and tired muscles but no broken bones!

To be fair to the organisers they did have a variety of loops to ride but the senior loop which I did was more like a full on enduro than a trail ride :laugh:

It would be fair to say I was humbled by some of the younger riders who had the skills and nerve to hit the steep stuff with enough pace to use their momentum to get them up.
I'm thinking I might stick to competitive sealed circuit racing, more my forte.

Great to see lots of kids taking part as this is the future of motorcycling.
I'll tack a few pics on I flogged from the organisers facebook page.

Enduro Vehicle Motorcycling Motorcycle Motorcycle racing

Grassland Land lot Plain Pasture Rural area

Motocross Enduro Vehicle Motorcycle racing Motorcycle

Plain Grassland Natural environment Natural landscape Land lot

Recreation Grass Vehicle Enduro Games

Mountainous landforms Highland Hill Grassland Mountain

#25 ·
Yes but unfortunately she only works and lives there, doesn't own it.

Check out the good photo shop job @Treve82 kindly did on this lake shot:

With marker post

Without marker post

Thanks mate :)

Attachments

#27 · (Edited)
Honda outing

Went for a Sunday blast today with my buddy on his newly acquired SP1. Fairly high speed affair as you can imagine and on one long straight as I was trying to reel him in I saw the fastest (actual) top speed ever for me on my bike. 167 km/h (104 MPH) but I think there may have been a slight downwards decent to the lay of the land so I'm not making any great claims here! I did manage to glance at the tacho and it was sitting on 10K.

Had a ride on the SP1, power to burn as you'd expect and it sounds terrific with the twin Akra's. Quite an aggressive riding position, small distance between the bars and the front of the tank, you feel like your right over the steering head. Wasn't blown away by the steering, seemed to take a lot of body language to tip it in but very stable at any speed and awesome brakes. Great machine to have a spin on.

Gotta make the most of these mild Autumn days before they disappear. :serious:

Attachments

#29 ·
Yep very similar Laurie apart from the little matter of over 100 HP difference! ;)
I think my friend may need to change his tyres, it's got Metzelers on it and they dont feel right. Not a common tyre here.
The other thing that struck me was the super tall gearing. 6th felt like a double overdrive. Anyone for a 1000cc hypermiler? :D

#33 ·
Finally got a good ride in last weekend. Weather was pleasant and I was free for once so I took advantage and had a good 250 mile long ride all over DFW with a few friends. No breathtaking location pictures like you guys though. Dallas is pretty boring compared to some of whats posted here. Only really stopped for human fuel and bike fuel, so the gas station didn't make for much of a scenic view. I did however finally get to really try out my shorty levers after a couple weeks of them sitting on the shelf. I must admit though that I'm not a fan of them, so I'll be going back to the stock levers. Other than that, nothing terribly special, just another ride. Planning on another all day ride this weekend so maybe I'll try my hand at this photography thing if I can find someplace interesting :)

#34 · (Edited)
No breathtaking location pictures like you guys though. Dallas is pretty boring compared to some of whats posted here. Planning on another all day ride this weekend so maybe I'll try my hand at this photography thing if I can find someplace interesting :)
Doesn't have to be breathtaking to be of interest mate, I find anything from outside of my home country interesting because it's just different.
And any picture of a motorcycle is a good thing as we all know :D

#35 ·
another gillies run this morning, almost stained my pants twice. Once when the left foot peg scraped and again for the right footpeg. I don't like hanging my body off too far on that road due to traffic cutting corners or running wide.

I wonder if rear sets are needed?

#37 ·
Yesterday was my first ride out of the city this year. Rode 151 km (almost 100 miles). The morning started cool, close to the freezing mark, so I waited till noon. In the afternoon it was sunny and about 8 or 9 degrees C, so a doable temp for a longer trip. Took the 400-series (provincial) highways out of the city and then country roads to the village of Belfountain. There is a restaurant where bikers like to congregate on the weekends. Yesterday there were more cars than bikes, but still a decent number of PTWs showed up. Besides the super-cool Honda CB300FA, there were: a Triumph 900cc, a handful of BMWs, an Aprilia 820cc, a Yamaha Super Tenere, a few cruisers; a BWS125 scooter, a Honda CBR250R; a couple of GoldWings buzzed by, but didn't stop. (On a nice - as in warm - weekend the place is so packed with bikes that cagers can't get parking there.)
From Belfountain I rode eastward along rural roads to Nobleton on hwy 27 and then south into Toronto and back home. There was still snow in places, making for an interesting contrast.

Attachments

#39 ·
Must be cool to have a place where bikers congregate on their rides. Our scene is so small around where I live that if you pull into a pub there might be a couple of farmers pick up trucks outside and that's it. :D

#38 ·
Didn't get out the week/weekend before last due to weather and other plans, but made up for it by clocking in about 250 miles Saturday. Left around 11 am and didn't pull back into the driveway until 9:30 pm so it was a great full day of riding. Beautiful day out and we managed to find a couple fun routes outside of the normal city riding which was refreshing. Didn't stop much besides for gas, however we did pull over by this neat old place just on Lake Worth. Pretty solid day.

Attachments

#43 ·
Today I had an amazing ride, making a nice circle through the outer foothills (inner foothills roads are closed until May). Most of it was some nice 2 lane twisty country roads. Not as twisty as some of you guys have, but still pretty exciting to me. ;)
There is still some snow left as you get closer to the mountains and temperature drops a few degrees, but nothing extreme and roads are dry and clear of gravel.

Attached are some pictures for you to enjoy. :angel:

One of my favourite spots - VERY relaxing and quiet. Just 10 minutes away from my house. :)

Just outside of Bragg Creek.

Attachments

#47 ·
Today I had an amazing ride, making a nice circle through the outer foothills (inner foothills roads are closed until May). Most of it was some nice 2 lane twisty country roads. Not as twisty as some of you guys have, but still pretty exciting to me. ;)
There is still some snow left as you get closer to the mountains and temperature drops a few degrees, but nothing extreme and roads are dry and clear of gravel.

Attached are some pictures for you to enjoy. :angel:
Very delicious scenery, indeed. When you get bored with the mountains (eh, eh, eh), come to southern Ontario - I'll show you the Niagara Escarpment :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.