Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My cbr300r has 2000 miles on it. I was riding at 65mph and the rpms dropped to 0 and I thought the engine had cut out but it kept going but now the bike doesn't sound right and there might be a rattling sound that may be coming from the engine. It's my only transportation and I have to work every day. The closest appointment to bring it to a delearship is a week from now. I feel like I'm screwed. If I keep riding it I'm afraid I'll void the warranty but I have to keep riding it. I don't have a choice. Has anyone had this issue? Any tips or advice?

·
Registered
282 Posts
My cbr300r has 2000 miles on it. I was riding at 65mph and the rpms dropped to 0 and I thought the engine had cut out but it kept going but now the bike doesn't sound right and there might be a rattling sound that may be coming from the engine. It's my only transportation and I have to work every day. The closest appointment to bring it to a delearship is a week from now. I feel like I'm screwed. If I keep riding it I'm afraid I'll void the warranty but I have to keep riding it. I don't have a choice. Has anyone had this issue? Any tips or advice?
i suggest you contact your dealer with your concerns and insist that they come out and fetch it and lead you a courtesy bike till yours is properly fixed. I take it there is warranty on it?;)

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
I'm sure they would be thrilled to do that lol. They weren't even willing to fit me in
Honestly..they were willing to take your business and your money though. Do you live in a big city? It has been my experience that dealers in big cities can loose touch with clients...they have so many you get lost in the shuffle.

·
Super Moderator
3,009 Posts
I wouldn't continue riding it if what you're hearing from the engine doesn't sound right. Best to figure out some other way to get to work (hitch a ride with a co-worker?).

Just a couple questions regarding what might be going on with the bike...

Was the bike serviced around the 600 mile mark, including an oil & filter change? If so, who did the service?

Did you have any loose papers stored under the passenger seat? If so, a paper could have found its way to the air box snorkel, and is restricting the air flow (this has happened to quite a few CBR250R owners in the past).

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Do NOT run the bike till you have had it checked out.

In the meantime, check your oil level.

The curious thing to me is the fact that the tachometer appears to have stopped working, because you say it displayed zero rpm while the engine was running, albeit with a rattle. That suggests an electrical fault which is affecting the ignition, in which case the rattle you hear might be caused by a mis-timed spark.

As MotoMike asked, was it serviced as per the handbook? Have you done anything to the bike by way of modifications? If so, what and when? Have you had any other issues, or has anything else unusual happened recently? Any new smell coming from the bike?

It's highly unlikely that the dealer will collect the bike. The standard T&Cs don't provide for that unless you have taken out a separate roadside recovery warranty. No harm in asking though!

·
Registered
282 Posts
I'm sure they would be thrilled to do that lol. They weren't even willing to fit me in
Ok! Name and shame the bastards here on the forum so others can decide whether to give them the time of day, money, grief what ever.
You could even email Honda direct with your concerns for the machine and the dealer. That normally wakes them up.
Good luck and keep trying.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Yes! If there was another person who over heard your conversation with your dealer...you have a witness to the dealer comments/actions. Then do as AUTOPILOT suggested.....email Honda with details. (Date/time of conversation/+ conversation it self). That will rattle their chain..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So it's pretty bad. They found barrings in my oil and they have to take the engine apart to see if it's my fault. And if it is I have to pay 220$ just for them checking. And they keep asking me if I checked my oil, the first week I had my bike I noticed it was leaking oil and I brought it back to the dealer and they said not to worry about it. But when 1.25 quarts of oil goes missing in two weeks it's my fault apparently. If honda doesn't want to warranty it I'm screwed because I ride my bike everyday. I don't own a car and I have a loan out on my bike and I can't afford a new engine.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I assume that as you were responsible enough to return the bike to ask advice on the oil leak, that you did in fact keep an eye on the oil level?
If this is true and I can't see why it would not be, you were then acting on the advice of the dealer as you did not know any better.
it sounds as if a bearing has broken up as a result of a sudden loss of oil, and is beyond your control.
Your dealer sounds like a real shister and seems intent to put the blame on you. Stand your ground and get Honda involved. Also seek legal advice and if needs be take it to your local trading standards department, you never know they may have other cases against this dealer.
I am not qualified to give any advice on a professional basis but this is what I would do myself.

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
Sheesh, that's a real bad luck story there, your dealer sounds extremely defensive and unobliging. Good luck with that, keep us posted on the outcome.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts