Honda CBR 300 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. Just got my brand new 2022 cbr300r abs with about 450 miles on it already. I use my bike to commute from home to work everyday and use the highway. I’m usually cruising on the highway at around 70-80mph at around 7-8k rpms. Is this too high of an RPM to be cruising at?

·
Super Moderator
5,648 Posts
In my opinion, yes, esp for a single cylinder engine. For this reason many owners swap the front sprocket for 15 tooth one which rises the gearing by around 7% and lowers the cruising RPMs some. Do a search on here and you'll find info about this mod.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My opinion no because it's oem Honda. I cruise my CBR300R as fast as traffic conditions will allow. I have zero concern for cruising cbr300 at 85 mph plus at ~9k rpm and I run wide open throttle every chance I get up to the rev/fuel limiter in 6th. Haven't reach rev limiter yet on my cbr300. My 124cc Grom stock is redlined at 9200 rpm and I flashed the ecu to run up to 10k rpm and have hit the limiter many times and cruise that sucker for miles and miles in the red zone with no worries. My Grom has almost 5k miles and runs good and faster than new.

·
Super Moderator
5,648 Posts
Yeah there's no doubting the engine will handle the revs but the question is do you want to listen to it and feel those constant high rpm vibrations? When I had my CBR I was doing a lot of inter-provincial trips of a minimum of three hours at cruising speeds around 70 - 75, so I got tired of the high RPMs. The bonus was the gearing change improved my fuel consumption too. Probably depends what sort of riding your doing and what your priorities are.

·
Registered
CB300F
41 Posts
There is doubt on how long the engine will last. Mine died at 17k miles.

I never thought the bike uncomfortable even at high RPM. I too opened near full throttle for acceleration most all the time, at least if on open roads or first at traffic signal.

Bike is a lot of fun but Honda, keep in mind, wants the bike to appear low maintenance to make it attractive. For example no one likes idea of oil change every week. I use hyperbole for effect. Anyhow, they strike a balance. What is the most infrequent schedule that avoids most issues?

If you are using 90 percent of engine power you must seriously consider the likelihood that you are putting more stress and more wear than average or median....in any case more than expected.

So adjust your maintenance schedule accordingly.

In my experience, Honda does not care if your engine dies. So. Do maintenance ahead of schedule, all the time, and enjoy the ride, especially if you are using all the bike will give. It will give plenty. But Honda won't. Take care of what you have.

Rip my cb300f. May you have many miles ahead of you, OP.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts