Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alamo Cycle Plex in San Antonio has a group ride scheduled for tomorrow June 20, 2015. Go to their website for details. There are usually 15-20 riders show up for these. I am waiting to check out the rain possibility at the last minute. If you do go, the ride starts at 9:30 am, the dealership opens at 9, and there are coupons for discounts on parts, etc. I'll pick up $25 worth of oil filters to get the $10 off. If I go, I will ride the CB300F. These are casual...slow rides due to the fact there will be an assortment of different bikes with various skill levels. Should be a fantastic trip including Twisted Sisters. No cost.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Nice... I've heard of the "Twisted Sisters". Awesome roads...

Have fun!

(And be safe, of course)

·
Registered
352 Posts
CRAP! im working and it has already passed.... I love Alamo Cycle Plex, AJ nin. Discovered them last weekend and the place reminds me of my hometown shop.
Where about is the Twisted Sisters path? Ill have to ride that my next days off, sir.
Speaking of, we should get a ride together bud. I got no one to ride with since I moved here.
Also, post some pics of the ride today man!

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
CRAP! im working and it has already passed.... I love Alamo Cycle Plex, AJ nin. Discovered them last weekend and the place reminds me of my hometown shop.
Where about is the Twisted Sisters path? Ill have to ride that my next days off, sir.
Speaking of, we should get a ride together bud. I got no one to ride with since I moved here.
Also, post some pics of the ride today man!
Oh, that's right... Welcome to Big Tex!

Here's some info on the Twisted Sisters from my search: The Three Sisters (AKA The Twisted Sisters)- Ranch Roads 335, 336,337a | Texas Motorcycle Roads and Rides | MotorcycleRoads.com

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There are 3 roads that constitute the Twisted Sisters in the steep Texas Hill Country. The best, IMO is 337 which goes from Medina to Leakey. It is more of a mountain pass with switchbacks along part of it...or as close to mountains as we have in Texas. It's an hour from my home and another 2 hours of riding at least if you do all 3 roads, then the return trip doubles that. I always stop at Bandera at the Subway and occasionally see real cowboys.

The ride was called off due to rain. I still rode to the dealership, but I went later between showers to use my coupons. Got oil filters for the CB300F and the R3. I did get a little wet, bu the roads were almost dry. Still, I just finished washing and essentially detailing my CB300F. It made the 80-mile trip nicely, mostly at 70 mph, a little at 75 mph.

I sat on a 2015 Gixxer 600 in the showroom. It had a Yashimura package...slip on plus a couple of cosmetic upgrades. I really like that bike. I can flat foot it at 5'7" which is important to me. It weighs in at 412 lbs. wet which is OK too. I am looking into the other dealerships to see where I can make the best deal. I would probably trade in my R3 since it is closer in looks and color to the Gixxer.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Fanatic. I missed your post explaining about the 3 roads somehow. Dang, I have had enough rain. This is the most protracted spate of rainy days I can remember.

·
Registered
352 Posts
The ride was called off due to rain...

I sat on a 2015 Gixxer 600 in the showroom. It had a Yashimura package...slip on plus a couple of cosmetic upgrades. I really like that bike. I can flat foot it at 5'7" which is important to me. It weighs in at 412 lbs. wet which is OK too. I am looking into the other dealerships to see where I can make the best deal. I would probably trade in my R3 since it is closer in looks and color to the Gixxer.
Sucks that I was raining. I was working anyway but it didn't rain that much where I was.

I sat on that bike last weekend I was in SA. Smooth bike man. Love the MotoGP color scheme too...that blue is electric. I kinda want one too, not gonna lie :serious:

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They want $14,000 for that bike. With my R3 trade-in, he wanted $10,200 plus tax, title, license. That isn't going to happen. I emailed the dealer with an offer that they will get tomorrow after doing some research on it. Meantime I have contacted Kent Powersports and Woods Cycle Country and they will get back to me too. Everything is closed today. Tomorrow should be fun. Once I decide to make a trade, I usually do it pretty quickly. Thing is, I paid $8400 with a Ninja 300 trade in for a new 2011 Gixxer 1000 in Jan, 2013, so that alone tells me their asking price of about $3000 more for the 600 is not realistic.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
They want $14,000 for that bike. With my R3 trade-in, he wanted $10,200 plus tax, title, license. That isn't going to happen. I emailed the dealer with an offer that they will get tomorrow after doing some research on it. Meantime I have contacted Kent Powersports and Woods Cycle Country and they will get back to me too. Everything is closed today. Tomorrow should be fun. Once I decide to make a trade, I usually do it pretty quickly. Thing is, I paid $8400 with a Ninja 300 trade in for a new 2011 Gixxer 1000 in Jan, 2013, so that alone tells me their asking price of about $3000 more for the 600 is not realistic.
Did you look into the Gixxer forums to see what members are paying for a new '15 600?

Of course, understanding what you should expect for the trade helps too.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, I follow the Gixxer forums. I'm an old pro at buying bikes. In other words, I only overpay by a few hundred dollars. LOL.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Yes, I follow the Gixxer forums. I'm an old pro at buying bikes. In other words, I only overpay by a few hundred dollars. LOL.
And I have a bad habit of overpaying... Priceless when in that state of mind, what can I say? :laugh:

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You know you've overpaid, when the next time you walk in the dealer, the salesman stops what he's doing to come over to shake your hand, thank you for your business and ask what he can do for you today. Actually, the forums are probably one of the best sources for what a fair price is, although there can be huge regional swings with California always paying more than anyone else it seems. My technique is to try and get the best price from one dealer, then go to others with that information and repeat. Finally when one dealer says, "we can't match that", then you are getting pretty close to your best price.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
You know you've overpaid, when the next time you walk in the dealer, the salesman stops what he's doing to come over to shake your hand, thank you for your business and ask what he can do for you today. Actually, the forums are probably one of the best sources for what a fair price is, although there can be huge regional swings with California always paying more than anyone else it seems. My technique is to try and get the best price from one dealer, then go to others with that information and repeat. Finally when one dealer says, "we can't match that", then you are getting pretty close to your best price.
That's what I would think of doing and what I did when shopping for my 300.

I spent a couple visits over a few months span talking with the sales rep, and then came back after some months to possibly purchase. I emailed the sales rep my offer to do business, and then of course they declined. I responded that I would go shop around. The manager called me up and gave me his price, and said I could shop it. I came back and purchased from him after visiting 3 - 4 dealers. The best I came up with was a dealer that would match the price.

Even if it was a couple of hundred dollars more, I would have came back anyway to my original salesperson because of the time and effort he had spent with me over my decision making process.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That technique works well when they have bikes. When dealers or manufacturers play the Iphone sales game where a model is highly anticipated and when it finally arrives, only one or two arrive which keeps the bike in high demand at full price or nearly full price. The best deals of all seem to be on new models that have been on the dealers floor for at least a year and now new model years of the bike are coming out. There are often rebates as well. It's often thousands of dollars off. That's how I bought my 2011 Gixxer 1000. It was Jan 2013 and the 2014 Gixxers were just coming out which meant the 2011 bike was going to be 3 model years older. Contrarian buying, I guess. Buy it when nobody else sees the value.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
That technique works well when they have bikes. When dealers or manufacturers play the Iphone sales game where a model is highly anticipated and when it finally arrives, only one or two arrive which keeps the bike in high demand at full price or nearly full price. The best deals of all seem to be on new models that have been on the dealers floor for at least a year and now new model years of the bike are coming out. There are often rebates as well. It's often thousands of dollars off. That's how I bought my 2011 Gixxer 1000. It was Jan 2013 and the 2014 Gixxers were just coming out which meant the 2011 bike was going to be 3 model years older. Contrarian buying, I guess. Buy it when nobody else sees the value.
The previous model years have been proven over time anyway, so it would make me confident along with the savings as well.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I picked up a new Gixxer 600 tonight and traded in my R3. I paid $7200 difference out the door. I love the bike. It seems much more maneuverable than my Gixxer 1000...a lot lighter too. Talk to you later, gotta go get some saddle time on the new bike.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I picked up a new Gixxer 600 tonight and traded in my R3. I paid $7200 difference out the door. I love the bike. It seems much more maneuverable than my Gixxer 1000...a lot lighter too. Talk to you later, gotta go get some saddle time on the new bike.
Wow, that's significantly better than the $10,200 + TT&L you were initially quoted. Looks like you know what you're doing and you don't mess around when it comes to dealing.

I know you're excited... Will stay tuned for your feedback. :)

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
When you show up with money and tell them you are going to buy something right now from either them or their competitor, they come off their price or at least match anyone else's price. Their first price was $8,125. I got the standard 600. The one I was looking at in Alamo Cycle Plex had the Yashimura package plus I never actually went in with money. I'm sure I could have done better than the $10,200 plus T, T, L but the Gixxer stock exhaust sounds fine to me. I've actually never upgraded any bikes other than tires when the OEM one's wear out, so the $2000 more or whatever I would have had to pay for the Yashimura package wouldn't have been worth it to me. The bike runs sweet. It's easy to speed. I put 25 miles on it this evening.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
OK, when the sun hits the bikes just right inside my garage later today, I'll take a quick video and post it to YouTube showing all my bikes. I just got back from a 100-mile break-in run on the Gixxer. Took it up to 120 mph which is actually only 10,000 rpms. It redlines at 15,000. It handles curves really well. I also purchased a 3-year maintenance contract from another dealer...all the scheduled maintenance including parts...., unlimited miles for 3 years, 3 extra anytime oil changes in addition, a 10% discount on parts. $1506. Thing is, the valve check appointment alone is $700 at this same dealer and is pretty typical for that service. That comes at 12,000 miles though. That will take me at least 6 months.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts