Honda CBR 300 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I got really lucky and found a Coffman's muffler on eBay for a great deal, just installed it today. Any review you've read is right about it, it's loud as **** WITH the baffle in and I can't imagine how loud with it out, I haven't tried yet.

I've also noticed that I lost a lot of midrange torque. I have no pull around mid rpm now. Something I never believed from reading people's reviews, but after riding this for 9 months stock the difference is noticeable.

I have to say that the exhaust sounds very deep at low rpm and sounds so amazing while downshifting. It doesn't sound like a dirt bike, it's like an exotic lawn mower or moped. If you can find it cheaper than retail I would say try it out for the experience. I'm going to keep it until I can afford a better system. Here's some pics!

http://imgur.com/a/qmPFC

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Definitely looks hidden compared to the stock canister.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Definitely looks hidden compared to the stock canister.
And it's a lot lighter!

I'm going to add some video soon I know there's no "good" videos on YouTube for this bike and muffler, so I feel like it's my duty to make one. It's strange that my gopro doesn't pick up the sound at all with the sealed case, so I want to try out the skeleton case with an external microphone. Will update when it's finished.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I'd like to see a review of that Coffman system - from your neighbours.

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
... I've also noticed that I lost a lot of midrange torque. I have no pull around mid rpm now. Something I never believed from reading people's reviews, but after riding this for 9 months stock the difference is noticeable.
And that right there is why you'd never see one of those shorty exhausts on my bike.

Reactions: shisoshin

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I'd like to see a review of that Coffman system - from your neighbours.
My neighbors still have a grudge against me from when I used to have my car straight piped some years back... One of them moved out too. :eek:

And that right there is why you'd never see one of those shorty exhausts on my bike.
+1

Reactions: kiwi rider

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I'm pretty lucky the neighbors to the left and right of me both ride, no one else is close enough to matter. Our little cbr's still don't match the volume of all of these straight piped Harley's and super sports riding around in Los Angeles.
So you don't ride beyond your closest neighbours?

We have the same problem with many Harley owners here in Oz, too. They must be some of the loudest things on the road but don't seem to get pinged by the police. Perhaps the really noisy ones are the most likely to be armed and fighty?

That said, just because some others are using loud pipes, I don't see that as an excuse for me to do the same. I see noise in residential areas as pollution.

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
OP, not sure if you're aware of the fact that the state of California had passed new, restrictive laws a couple years back concerning aftermarket/non-stock exhausts on motorcycles? And excessive noise was one of the big issues... if I lived in California, I'd be checking out the current laws there.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
So you don't ride beyond your closest neighbours?

We have the same problem with many Harley owners here in Oz, too. They must be some of the loudest things on the road but don't seem to get pinged by the police. Perhaps the really noisy ones are the most likely to be armed and fighty?

That said, just because some others are using loud pipes, I don't see that as an excuse for me to do the same. I see noise in residential areas as pollution.
I think as long as the user is courteous and respectful of their surrounding areas (especially residential), it may be easier to swallow. If one were to be hard on the throttle or revving to stand out that much more, then people may find more offense to it. How do I know? I used to be one of them.

Some people may not appreciate, some will be neutral, and some will praise. You get a mix of reactions and responses. It may be more suitable to pick and choose the time and place to prevent any upsetting.

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
I think as long as the user is courteous and respectful of their surrounding areas (especially residential), it may be easier to swallow. If one were to be hard on the throttle or revving to stand out that much more, then people may find more offense to it. How do I know? I used to be one of them...
"one of them" as in being one of the guy's making all the excessive racket, or one of the people taking offense to the noise? :confused:

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
"one of them" as in being one of the guy's making all the excessive racket, or one of the people taking offense to the noise? :confused:
Ahem, the troublemaker, ahem. :eek:

Hey, at least I'm being honest!

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Not enough back pressure, you'll get bored of lack of low/mid power and tired of the noise soon.
Agreed. It's like going on a honeymoon... But who wants to go on one every single day? :serious:

:laugh:

Reactions: kiwi rider

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I think as long as the user is courteous and respectful of their surrounding areas (especially residential), it may be easier to swallow. ...... It may be more suitable to pick and choose the time and place to prevent any upsetting.
True, but I would then find myself pootling around 90% of the time, just to avoid being a nuisance.

There is also, as I have mentioned before, the fact that a noisy exhaust lets everybody know you're coming, and if you're going fast. If that somebody turns out to be a policeman with a speed gun, you betcha it will be turned on and pointing in your direction well before you arrive.

Reactions: Fanatic

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
True, but I would then find myself pootling around 90% of the time, just to avoid being a nuisance.
Agreed. That's why I like sticking with stock. Honda has it pinned down on performance, sound, quality, looks, etc.

600rr.net makes me hear about it too (admiring stock), but oh well.

There is also, as I have mentioned before, the fact that a noisy exhaust lets everybody know you're coming, and if you're going fast. If that somebody turns out to be a policeman with a speed gun, you betcha it will be turned on and pointing in your direction well before you arrive.
LoL!

Don't think the OP scored anything...more like good riddance from previous owner.
Unless the OP decides to uninstall the exhaust and stand behind the 3 point arc and make the basket with it (it's small enough too!), that would be the one exception, IMHO. :laugh:

Just kidding, OP! ;)

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Agreed. That's why I like sticking with stock. Honda has it pinned down on performance, sound, quality, looks, etc.

600rr.net makes me hear about it too (admiring stock), but oh well.

LoL!

Unless the OP decides to uninstall the exhaust and stand behind the 3 point arc and make the basket with it (it's small enough too!), that would be the one exception, IMHO. :laugh:

Just kidding, OP! ;)
Honestly I bought it to satisfy my curiosity, and the fact that it was cheap enough that I could possibly make money reselling it if I didn't like it helped seal the deal. How loud is loud really? I don't know anyone else with cbr250's or 300's so I'm very interested in how different exhaust systems sound on our little bikes. I really want to try the TYGA Moto Maggot. And to MotoMike, yeah I do understand it's illegal, but so are a lot of other things and you gotta remember we ride motorcycles man we don't follow the rules. I'm also not supposed to turn my AC lower than 78 degrees or water my plants during the day. Whatever man :D

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Honestly I bought it to satisfy my curiosity, and the fact that it was cheap enough that I could possibly make money reselling it if I didn't like it helped seal the deal. How loud is loud really? I don't know anyone else with cbr250's or 300's so I'm very interested in how different exhaust systems sound on our little bikes. I really want to try the TYGA Moto Maggot. And to MotoMike, yeah I do understand it's illegal, but so are a lot of other things and you gotta remember we ride motorcycles man we don't follow the rules. I'm also not supposed to turn my AC lower than 78 degrees or water my plants during the day. Whatever man :D
Everything seems almost fine and dandy, but I would edit the above bolded / enlarged statement REAL fast before MotoMike spots it (or when life itself does)! :laugh:

* Also, watering the plants during the evening or off hours works better because the garden and plants are able to absorb the water more effectively since the sun / heat isn't as active in trying to evaporate it. Rumor has it that watering during the day may also cause damage to the plants as well. :D

Reactions: shisoshin

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
....you gotta remember we ride motorcycles man we don't follow the rules. .....
Right on! So remember that when you don your skull and crossbones leather jacket and tattered old open face helmet, wedge a spliff between your teeth and throw a devil-may-care leg over your stolen and rebirthed Harley, before riding into town to meet your Hells Angel club buddies, throwing a finger at the pigs who have your home/cannabis farm staked out again.

Did I get that right? :devil:

1 - 20 of 45 Posts