Honda CBR 300 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where does everyone sit on their seat, the front or the rear? I’m a new cbr owner and first bike was a Yamaha Scorpio so very different. I’m not sure weather I should be sitting close to the tank with my knees wrapping it for stability, or further to the back of the seat and my knees wrapping tank less, but my ass higher above the ground.

·
Registered
188 Posts
If your arms are long enough,you need to sit about a fist back from the tank to make it easier to move on the seat when going into a corner.
The tank on these bikes is too narrow to grip when going straight but in a corner grip with your outside leg.

·
Registered
272 Posts
On super sport bikes, you need your legs pressed on the tank while breaking, otherwise your hands will hurt after a while.
For the CBR300 you usually don't break that hard and the seating position is rather relaxed, so you can choose what you like most.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’m 180cm and 70kg so both seating positions are comfortable for me. I was wondering if it made a difference for acceleration, braking or cornering however I guess my low weight would have less of an impact on these 3 areas?

·
Premium Member
5,491 Posts
I’m 180cm and 70kg so both seating positions are comfortable for me. I was wondering if it made a difference for acceleration, braking or cornering however I guess my low weight would have less of an impact on these 3 areas?
For acceleration you want your weight as far forward as possible to stop it wheeling.
For braking you want your bum right back to prevent a stoppie (rear wheel in air)
For cornering you want your bum off the seat and your inside knee dragging on the ground!

Nah, just kidding ya obviously. :D
These little CBR's are pretty docile and forgiving beasts, within reason it doesn't really matter too much where you sit. You will find with experience you start shifting your weight naturally to suit the situation.

How'd ya get on with the rear shock preload setting tweaks?

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
ergonomics is a whole of body
interaction and support system,,
depending on your riding style
including location of main control
joints [elbows, shoulders, hips, knees
also wrists, ankles, neck] which are
also dependendent on eg, footpeg position etc..

riders with foot arches resting on footpegs
compared to balls of feet on pegs for eg,
change joint dynamics upstream,
including position of hips on seat..

further forward footpegs = roached spine
[as in hunched into a lounge chair etc]
further up/rearward pegs = 'riding'
type positions.. just that small difference..

as you relax into your riding position
in general you should experience
gradual rearward movement of hips,,
towards your seat stop..

in general, weight rearward is 'better'..
experiment during your regular
practice sessions, braking etc.l.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
For acceleration you want your weight as far forward as possible to stop it wheeling.
For braking you want your bum right back to prevent a stoppie (rear wheel in air)
For cornering you want your bum off the seat and your inside knee dragging on the ground!

Nah, just kidding ya obviously. :D
These little CBR's are pretty docile and forgiving beasts, within reason it doesn't really matter too much where you sit. You will find with experience you start shifting your weight naturally to suit the situation.

How'd ya get on with the rear shock preload setting tweaks?

Thanks for the advice. I’ve started adjusting my weight forwards and backwards depending on accelerating or garaging!

It went well, hanged from standard 2 to 4 and didn’t notice any difference if I’m honest. Might change to 5 or may just forget!

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Myself I'm 90 KG and my 300 R rear shock is set on position 4. For general riding I always slide up and hug the gas tank that for me it is a natural riding position.

·
Registered
46 Posts
My center of gravity is just behind the footpegs when I'm all the way back and just ahead of it when I'm not.
When I'm all the way back I can support my weight with my legs and take the weight off my wrists. My wrists get sore pretty quick so that's a big deal for me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Where does everyone sit on their seat, the front or the rear? I’m a new cbr owner and first bike was a Yamaha Scorpio so very different. I’m not sure weather I should be sitting close to the tank with my knees wrapping it for stability, or further to the back of the seat and my knees wrapping tank less, but my ass higher above the ground.
Just leave enough room between your crotch and the tank… your jewels will thank you! 😎

·
Registered
289 Posts
I found the seat on my F was to short for my size rear end so I removed the rear seat cover and foam and mounted a rear bag on it that gave me and extra inch -25mm-on my new R the seat starts out one inch-- 25mm longer so I'm good no mods needed

1 - 12 of 12 Posts