Honda CBR 300 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking into some security for my bike. Anyone have experience with the Xena alarm disc locks? The CBR300 isn't listed on their page so I'm not sure if it will actually fit. They have a scooter-sized lock as well, maybe that will fit if the normal lock is too large. I sent them an email asking the same question and I will post the results.

I was thinking of building a tilt alarm too. A small tilt sensor and loud buzzer wired into the stock 12v battery and hide a small on-off switch somewhere on the bike. I have plenty of experience with DIY electronics so building/wiring would not be an issue.

What do you guys think? What security do you use?

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
i used a rear disc lock/alarm when shopping etc
plus uncroppable british chain and lock thru
swingarm and rear wheel then around a
mature gum tree [growing out of the road]
when at home, with zero parking my apartment..

good reports of gps tracking systems
which can send gps location data
to police stations, giving some chance
of a recovery, once they've got her..

the disc lock also had a motion function
if you moved the lock or the motorcycle..

they can always throw it into back of a van or ute
and drive away, but cant wheel her away or
move rear wheel forward [lock close to brake]
or far backwards for maneuvering etc..

a serious uncroppable chain with genuine lock
will deter most thieves due to the difficulty factor..
they can still get it with a blowtorch or serious disc
cutter, but that takes some time at least, during which
any other alarm will be activated..

parked in inside a secure garage with good chain
anchored into cement floor, with alarms,
is at least a deterrent to most thieves..

your best bet ultimately is good insurance..
even if they get your motorcycle and it isnt
coming back [broken to parts etc] at least
you can get whatever dollars you insured her
for, to pay for a new replacement motorcycle..

you can insure it for whatever you like
[and pay premiums for] but new retail price
would be a good option..
when they got my cbr250r after 3yrs out there
[no chain etc] thinking noone would want her,
at least she was insured for full replacement $
thus a new replacement cbr300ra..

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
My bike is kept in a locked garage and ridden rarely. I don't need the bike to get to work etc, but it is fully insured and I use no additional security.

In the past, the only security I have ever used was a good disc lock. They work well in putting opportunistic thieves off, but it's not unknown for the more determined and organised to just pick the bike up and put it in a van.

Mind you, my previous bikes that were worth anything were all really heavy and so it was unlikely that thieves would bother lifting it into a van - which they might try with a CBR300R using only a disc lock. I don't know if the little Honda is of any interest to professional bike thieves though. Now if it said 'Ducati' on the tank and 'Panigale' on the side........

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My bike is kept in a locked garage and ridden rarely. I don't need the bike to get to work etc, but it is fully insured and I use no additional security.

In the past, the only security I have ever used was a good disc lock. They work well in putting opportunistic thieves off, but it's not unknown for the more determined and organised to just pick the bike up and put it in a van.

Mind you, my previous bikes that were worth anything were all really heavy and so it was unlikely that thieves would bother lifting it into a van - which they might try with a CBR300R using only a disc lock. I don't know if the little Honda is of any interest to professional bike thieves though. Now if it said 'Ducati' on the tank and 'Panigale' on the side........
Yeah I won't have the luxury of a locked garage or shed until this summer, so I'm thinking a combination of disc lock and audible alarm should do the trick. I live in a somewhat rural area but there are a few idiots that like to steal old dirtbikes/snowmobiles/anything motorized. Mostly kids and a couple rejects I know from growing up here.

I will have full coverage on the bike as well. I'm pretty sure that is a requirement if the vehicle is financed in Ontario, I might be wrong but I would rather be safe than sorry!

·
Registered
289 Posts
I am looking into some security for my bike. Anyone have experience with the Xena alarm disc locks? The CBR300 isn't listed on their page so I'm not sure if it will actually fit. They have a scooter-sized lock as well, maybe that will fit if the normal lock is too large. I sent them an email asking the same question and I will post the results.

I was thinking of building a tilt alarm too. A small tilt sensor and loud buzzer wired into the stock 12v battery and hide a small on-off switch somewhere on the bike. I have plenty of experience with DIY electronics so building/wiring would not be an issue.

What do you guys think? What security do you use?
I use the Xena 6mm alarmed disc lock on my rear disc while I'm parked at work. The 6mm has a pin with the exact size to clamp through the holes on our bike's disc brakes. Read a big thread on Reddit that a high quality disc lock on the rear is a pretty good theft deterrent, stops people from rolling your bike away to a secluded area to "mess" with it. I also have full coverage insurance, the disc brake is just to make sure I still have a ride home when I clock out haha.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Daily rider but small town and parked inside the fence at work.
mostly garaged at night.
parked in the open when I'm in town or shopping.

fully insured, 2 year for old replacement so I'm not at all worried about security.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts