Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I hit the 300 mile mark on my brand new CBR300R. It's a 2015 with both recalls listed as having been performed. Before heading out for the day I visually inspected all bolts, re-measured alignment and chain tension, read oil, coolant and brake fluid sight glasses and shook the handlebars vigorously. About 15 miles into my ride, while crossing train tracks I heard a distinct change in pitch of the engine sound. I immediately signaled to pull into a subdivision, down shifted and applied the rear brakes at which point the rear broke completely loose, sending me into an extremely dramatic drift nearly flipping the bike. Luckily I quickly came off the rear and applied just enough front to stop safety. I got off to access the situation and holy crap there's oil EVERYWHERE, smoke billowing off every hot surface. The rear tire was completely covered in oil, some how it even blew past the gaps in the fairings and sprayed my thighs with oil!! I peek past the smoke and there's a new gaping hole in my new motor.. I look to the rear and the former occupant of the hole wedged itself into my shock! The gasket and one bolt where still attached to it, I am not sure if the horrible rattle is where the missing bolt bounced back through the open cavity or if its simply the extra "ventilation" making the single cylinder extra noisy..

I previously changed the oil and filter and re set chain tension at 100 miles, complete with all Honda brand parts including gasket and crush washer. I also gave it the same once over procedure listed above. Here is where I first noticed torque values being INCREDIBLY inaccurate, my oil drain was over torqued to the point of requiring a long 1/2" drive breaker bar, same story for the main axle nut (required HARD hammer blows, like it was ran to 100 ft/lb or something crazy), the smaller nuts and bolts I turned where also well above their rated values (oil filter cover, small nuts on swing arms, right side fairings)

Basically it seemed like someone had an "off day" at work both in Thailand and upon set up in the U.S. Reading through these forums I'm getting the sense their production facility simply isn't up to the same standard of quality as the Japan MFG. That's not to say I haven't enjoyed the bike immensely, it still seems like a great value, just not the sterile precision I expected from my very first new Honda. It goes back to the dealer tomorrow, I'm going to push for a all new drive train because there are just way to many things that could have been hurt from oil starvation. Including a new trans since its a wet clutch and could conceivablely be damaged..

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Looks like the tensioner itself not a cover. I'm sure it will sound and run OK after they bolt it back up and add oil, it's just worrying knowing my engine has been ran a quart low with a slapping cam chain even if it was just a hundred yards or so. I hope they don't keep it long, I'd do the repair myself if it didn't void my factory limited warranty.

·
Super Moderator
3,002 Posts
Yesterday I hit the 300 mile mark on my brand new CBR300R. It's a 2015 with both recalls listed as having been performed...

Basically it seemed like someone had an "off day" at work both in Thailand and upon set up in the U.S....
Doubtful that the cam chain tensioner coming off would have been the fault of the factory in Thailand (as you correctly stated, they tend to err on the side over tightening fasteners at the factory), or that of the person who did the initial set-up of the bike at the dealership, but rather it would seem to me that the technician at the dealership who did the crankshaft recall simply failed to tighten the screws securing the tensioner assembly to the cylinder when the motor was being re-assembled.

As kiwi rider said in his post, I also doubt that any damage was done to the motor. That you stopped and shut the engine off quickly before all of the oil was lost would make engine damage unlikely.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I'll bet it is the honda dealership mechanic that missed it. When my recall was done they missed tightening up the exhaust both at the slip on and the passenger peg. Sloppy work is the reason why I do all my own work. I've seen it time and time again at shops not just moto shops but auto shops too.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Local Honda dealer said it'd be at LEAST a month before they could even look at it. This is after explaining it was the tensioner..

Can someone please scan the factory service manual page pertaining to cam chain tension? I tried to buy one but they apparently don't stock any FSM..

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After asking in person they have agreed to take it in today. They called back about an hour after dropping it off and said Honda wants to verify timing and do a compression test, they gave me a much more reasonable time of "around a week" for this since they still have a full schedule and will need to work it in.

There was a brief run around trying to tell me it was "recall related" and thus had to be repaired where I bought it? But eventually agreed to honor the warranty for faulty workmanship. Here's to hoping I'm not going to be out a bike for an extended time, this is my daily driver :(

·
Super Moderator
3,002 Posts
After asking in person they have agreed to take it in today. They called back about an hour after dropping it off and said Honda wants to verify timing and do a compression test, they gave me a much more reasonable time of "around a week" for this since they still have a full schedule and will need to work it in.

There was a brief run around trying to tell me it was "recall related" and thus had to be repaired where I bought it? But eventually agreed to honor the warranty for faulty workmanship. Here's to hoping I'm not going to be out a bike for an extended time, this is my daily driver :(
I don't think they were giving you a "run around" as they are correct, this is really an issue of responsibility on the dealer who did the recall (same dealer you bought the bike from?).

I would consider yourself fortunate, in that this dealer is willing to put your bike into the service queue ahead of other customer bikes... and they would be under no obligation to do so, as they didn't sell you the bike (or perform the crankshaft recall on the bike).

And technically, this isn't a warranty issue. It's a faulty workmanship issue on the part of the dealership who did the crankshaft recall... they're the ones who should be paying to fix your bike out of their pocket, not Honda's.

Reactions: Pillows

·
Super Moderator
3,002 Posts
I have to say that it is more than a little disconcerting that we've seen quite a few "Post Crankshaft Recall Failures/Problems" threads here, mostly as a result of dealership technicians not double checking their workmanship, whether during engine re-assembly, or when reinstalling the engine back into the frame and reconnecting hoses and control cables.

I can only imagine how many of these 'Post Crankshaft Recall' workmanship issues there are that we here on these forums don't hear about.

At the end of the day, there's no reasonable or valid excuse for failing to properly tighten every single nut, bolt, and screw when re-assembling an engine. What it is, is unacceptable. Hopefully Honda is taking note of these post recall problems and is putting those dealers on notice.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Whenever I bring a vehicle/bike to the dealership for work it seems they overtighten bolts. I always tend to overtighten by a couple lbs too.
When all the hysteria broke out about this recall I was ready to sell it and buy another model. After putting about 2200 miles on it after the fix and some days riding it pretty hard I am very happy with Honda's fix and service work.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
with 500k and crank etc done at the factory
she does make what seems to be camchain
hum/fine rattle noise, under load..
otherwise she just keeps betting better..
came with a tank of 95ron petrol,
which ive been replacing with 91ron
[about 86-7pon] fillups on 2 bars..
last fill i reckon shes now on pure 91ron
and seems to be making a statement
with excellent smooth uptake of revs
and general performance..
[lv slipon went on early, no real effects,
so it cant be that] last couple of runs
on known course where i let her go
she took off so smoothly and easily
i thought 'oh no' she's about to seize!
[just paranoia, but makes the point]

only noticed the humming/fine rattling
sound after riding with cheek pads removed
[easier on/off after nose and ear surgery]
as it sounds 'normal' at around idle..

aside from members' identified loose things,
i reckon this is/must be cam chain noise..
tensioner itself seems a compromise,,
[cb750 etc had manual tensioners]
so not concerned.. service coming up
soon, so i'll ask the tech to ride it
and listen/compare etc..

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes, I much prefer manual tensioners myself. I too had a CB750, they where marketed as the "Nighthawk" here, also had the 250 version. Rock solid, super simple aircooled beauties. Perfect example of a naked bike, much prettier than the wannabe street fighter vibe of the 300f.

I finally got my bike back today. Everything seems back to normal. Bikewasn't cleaned, panel fit is off in a couple places but whatever, I'll never be in a hurry to let someone else wrench on my ride again unless absolutely necessary. It was raining on the way home so I didn't push it hard, tomorow I will ride like Valentino Rossi and report back.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Pushed it hard today, 70 miles spent mostly between 7.5k and redline. No oil loss, temperature was normal the whole time. Nothing rattled loose and it sounds good across the rpms.

Bad things I have noticed now are trouble getting into first (going up to 2nd and back to 1st makes it engage, as does rolling forward) and the stock tires blow.

Neutral change is a shift in exhaust sound. It sounds deeper, both at idle and during acceleration.

I'll periodically check for loose bolts and fluid loss/consumption the next month or so but I feel confident in my bike again, I'll certainly continue to put it through it's paces while its under warranty

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Went to install a Rosso ii on the rear and found out they never put the caliper side spacer back on. So glad I didn't opt for the extended warranty.

·
Registered
22 Posts
As much as I hate to admit it, after reading about this recall I sprung for the extended warranty. Broke my heart to do it, as I'm far to cheap to get sucked into extended warranties but....I read the service procedure for doing this work and sheesh, a lot of places to make an error. I know I'd never be able to do it without botching it up.
I've got about 3k km on the machine and so far so good.
I'm still a little surprised that Honda did all this. I have to wonder how much the shops were allowed to bill vs just sending out new motors. Honda's factory cost on an entire motor, manufactured in Thailand or wherever, must be very little, vs whatever the cost allowed in North America. I'm sure their accountants did the math though. I wonder how much risk they allocated for the inevitable screw-ups.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
I did the same thing as you OldWingGuy...I too purchased an extended warranty...still have 2 years left. After my recall was done..the engine at idle just sounded different..more of a clack/clack sound than before. So I figured I would get a warranty just in case.
LP

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have to say that it is more than a little disconcerting that we've seen quite a few "Post Crankshaft Recall Failures/Problems" threads here, mostly as a result of dealership technicians not double checking their workmanship, whether during engine re-assembly, or when reinstalling the engine back into the frame and reconnecting hoses and control cables.

I can only imagine how many of these 'Post Crankshaft Recall' workmanship issues there are that we here on these forums don't hear about.

At the end of the day, there's no reasonable or valid excuse for failing to properly tighten every single nut, bolt, and screw when re-assembling an engine. What it is, is unacceptable. Hopefully Honda is taking note of these post recall problems and is putting those dealers on notice.
Does honda read this forum?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts