Honda CBR 300 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We all have access to Google Maps and the excellent Streetview feature, which I use a lot, for many things. How about we share details of our favourite local route, so that others can jump on to GM and see where we ride and the area where we live? You don't have to start from your front door and give your address away, just from nearby.

At the moment, the only way I know to do this is to just list some waypoints, then the reader can just plug them into GM and take a ride using Streetview.

I'll start us off.

I live in Cornubia, South East Queensland, Australia. My favourite ride takes about 2 hours including the obligatory coffee stop, or four hours if I take a camera.....

From home, I head to the Pacific Motorway for a short run south, exiting at Beenleigh. After passing through the town, I hit Road 92 going south, passing through Wolffdene and onward to Tamborine. I might stop off here for a cold one (non alcoholic) at The Bearded Dragon pub. from there I head south east along Mount Tamborine Road, where things start to get twistier.

Soon, the road starts to go uphill into the forested hills. The vegetation is mostly gum trees and wattle, interspersed with some palms. It's a popular tourist route, so care is required and attention paid to those not paying attention. Road surface is good, with few bumps in awkward places. Very early rides, or at dusk, watch out for wallabies, roos and other wildlife. Going slowly brings many rewards, such as the heady scent of wattle and colourful and noisy birdlife, including parrots.

Eventually, the road becomes Geissmann Drive and I take a left near the top of the mountain onto Eagle Heights Road, then left again at the roundabout onto Gallery Walk, where I dawdle along choosing the day's breakfast venue. In season, this place heaves with tourists, in which case I might give it a miss and instead turn back to Geissmann Drive, then left and head to North Tamborine, more favoured by locals and another good coffee stop.

Alternatively, I delay breakfast/coffee until I get to Canungra, reached by continuing south on Main Western Road past Witches Falls Winery, then right at another roundabout onto Bartle Road before it resumes being Main Western Road again, before becoming Mount Tamborine Road (again). I hope you're keeping up!

Dropping down the mountain via some more nice twisties, I arrive at a junction with Christie Street, where I go right and through Canungra village where, if I haven't already stopped, it's pitstop time. Canungra is a very popular destination for local bikers at weekends and every cafe and pub will be full of leather, beards and crash helmets.

Then back on the bike heading west out of the village, before turning back north for a cruise back to Tamborine and the return home via Beenleigh.

It's a great ride - just about the right length for me and about the limit my arthritis etc will bear most days. If I feel up to it, I might include the return trip up into Lamington National Park, which starts in Canungra and heads up into some of the best rainforest and wildlife habitat in the area. This would add at least another 90mins through.

Now I feel like a ride, but I'm working from home and a hundred emails are shouting for attention.

:D

·
Registered
25 Posts
I don't have a route to share,
But you can share google maps directions so that others can just click a link to the route.
You go to the menu (upper left corner) then go to share or embed the map. You can share the link with us then.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
353 Posts
I'm in Tassie and on my phone so I can't work the maps. However I recommend this for anyone who is ever in cairns.

start in cairns
ride to port Douglas
ride up the rex range and head south
turn off at mareeba and head back to cairns.

day 2 (or same day if keen)
start in cairns
head south to Gordonvale
ride up the Gillies and head south to malanda
from malanda head towards Innisfail via the palmerston hiway
back to cairns once you hit the Bruce hwy

·
Registered
26 Posts
Wow, we're pretty close by JNO, I'm at Mount Cotton. That's a great ride there mate, unfortunately I don't get enough spare time most weeks to pull off a run like that, usually only in 2-3 hrs bursts if I'm lucky (young child and wife). Usually I can make it to Tambourine, with just enough time to turn around and head home. One of these days maybe I'll get a free pass from the ball and chain so I can hit up a run like that.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
My favouritiest ride in the province of Ontario is in the Algoma Country. It consists of a loop (known as Deer Trail Route) and hwy 129. The roads are twisty (for Ontario - Europeans may call them "crumpled straights") and cut through real wilderness. Human dwellings are few and far between. Outside of the summer holiday season there is almost no traffic. Mixed endless forests, rivers, lakes, snakes, and bears.
The only catch is getting there. It's really far away from Toronto (over 600 km).

Close to Toronto, nice rides are in the Niagara Escarpment region. Unfortunately, the escarpment is quite narrow so the roads are short. To reach the closest (to Toronto) part of the escarpment, it's a 50-km ride.

Attachments

·
Registered
419 Posts
When I was going to school in Toronto I used to go ride Coldwater road and up around the Muskoka lakes with one of my Prof's, not a bad ride.

Out here in BC (and much of the west coast) there are bazillion awesome roads to ride, but my personal favourite is the road from Merritt to Spences Bridge, it is an absolute blast (literally)

https://goo.gl/maps/3ZNGgGsmHh52

And of course you can easily follow that up with........

https://goo.gl/maps/S7GFMbrj7bs

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
I'm in Tassie and on my phone so I can't work the maps. However I recommend this for anyone who is ever in cairns.

start in cairns
ride to port Douglas
ride up the rex range and head south
turn off at mareeba and head back to cairns.

day 2 (or same day if keen)
start in cairns
head south to Gordonvale
ride up the Gillies and head south to malanda
from malanda head towards Innisfail via the palmerston hiway
back to cairns once you hit the Bruce hwy
+ 1. Have done both these routes. Good recommendation Trev.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow, we're pretty close by JNO, I'm at Mount Cotton. That's a great ride there mate, unfortunately I don't get enough spare time most weeks to pull off a run like that, usually only in 2-3 hrs bursts if I'm lucky (young child and wife). Usually I can make it to Tambourine, with just enough time to turn around and head home. One of these days maybe I'll get a free pass from the ball and chain so I can hit up a run like that.
No ankle biters at home for me now that I'm an old git �� I remember how hard it was to grab a little R&R though.

I sometimes just cruise around the Mt Cotton, Vic Pt and Redlands area if I only have an hour or so. Maybe we'll manage to synchronise our diaries one day. Let me know when you're planning to head out and, if I'm free, we'll meet up to kick tyres.

·
Banned
1,070 Posts
When I was going to school in Toronto I used to go ride Coldwater road and up around the Muskoka lakes with one of my Prof's, not a bad ride.

Out here in BC (and much of the west coast) there are bazillion awesome roads to ride, but my personal favourite is the road from Merritt to Spences Bridge, it is an absolute blast (literally)

https://goo.gl/maps/3ZNGgGsmHh52

And of course you can easily follow that up with........

https://goo.gl/maps/S7GFMbrj7bs
When I was in BC Canada I drove from KelownaBC to Duncan BC on Van Island. great route. https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/Kelo...52a7b0df0!2m2!1d-123.7079416!2d48.7786908!3e0

·
Banned
1,070 Posts
Your landscape is so beautiful. Just almost no forests. I'd miss that.
We have 7 miles of Forests 1 mile from where I live and loads of countryside with rolling hills and it's green. No mountains though unfortunately. We do have white chalk (limestone) cliffs by the sea that rise to 300ft. Our forest has a mixture of trees from Oak, Ash, Silver Birch, Willow, Yew and some Fir trees. where I live in the in the Sussex Weald we have sandstone and Ironstone rocks. Oh and plenty of clay pockets in the ground to make clay bricks and roof tiles.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I enjoy the north shore of Lake Superior from Two Harbors on up. Also the bluff country in southern Minnesota and along the Mississippi and St. Croix rivers.

·
Registered
26 Posts
No ankle biters at home for me now that I'm an old git �� I remember how hard it was to grab a little R&R though.

I sometimes just cruise around the Mt Cotton, Vic Pt and Redlands area if I only have an hour or so. Maybe we'll manage to synchronise our diaries one day. Let me know when you're planning to head out and, if I'm free, we'll meet up to kick tyres.
For me usually rides occur around the midday while the young one sleeps on the weekend, however I have been known to manage an early ride on a Saturday or Sunday on rare special occasions when the Mrs is feeling nice. I'm sure we would have crossed paths at some stage. I sometimes do a few runs around west mount cotton road (those damned slow down signs they recently put up there are a buzz kill), or Avalon road. Hoping to go for a decent ride this coming weekend as I'm not working.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
For me usually rides occur around the midday while the young one sleeps on the weekend, however I have been known to manage an early ride on a Saturday or Sunday on rare special occasions when the Mrs is feeling nice. I'm sure we would have crossed paths at some stage. I sometimes do a few runs around west mount cotton road (those damned slow down signs they recently put up there are a buzz kill), or Avalon road. Hoping to go for a decent ride this coming weekend as I'm not working.
Sod's law. We have our granddaughter over to stay next weekend. Because my kids are 33 and 25, we've had sufficient time to recover from the trauma of child-rearing and actually look forward to having our little princess over to stay. Hopefully you and/or your Mrs have parents nearby to give you a break when yours is old enough?

So enjoy your ride. We'll get together some other time. And yes, the new speed limit on the road that passes Venman Bushland is a killjoy!

·
Registered
419 Posts
When I was in BC Canada I drove from KelownaBC to Duncan BC on Van Island. great route. https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/Kelo...52a7b0df0!2m2!1d-123.7079416!2d48.7786908!3e0
Too bad you didn't do the Pacific Loop when you crossed over to Victoria. There is a STELLAR road over to Sooke then up a recently paved logging road to Cowichan area. One of three good sportbike routes on the island. The other is the Tofino run, or from Campbell River to Gold River (just watch for police)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts