Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a 2017 300, been having shifting problem from the first ride. Adjusted clutch cable, changed oil (it was over full)still doesn't shift rt. Hangs up in neutral, also between other gears, shifts down ok.anyone OPhave experience with this?

·
Registered
8 Posts
If you calibrated the clutch cable correctly, then i guess could be worn out transmision gears, or clutch plates. Also (but probably not it) when pulling the clutch, make sure the cable is pulling on the right side of the bike up from the engine case.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I would double- and triple-check clutch cable and shift linkage as the cheapest and most common culprits here. I thought I had mine adjusted as good as it would get, and I was resolved to living with fairly clunky shifting (keeping in mind the bike's price point), until I fiddled with my clutch cable and adjustable lever one day and really dialed it in! (I was/still am a relative noob.)

How many miles? These forums don't hear about worn gears or clutches often.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would double- and triple-check clutch cable and shift linkage as the cheapest and most common culprits here. I thought I had mine adjusted as good as it would get, and I was resolved to living with fairly clunky shifting (keeping in mind the bike's price point), until I fiddled with my clutch cable and adjustable lever one day and really dialed it in! (I was/still am a relative noob.)

How many miles? These forums don't hear about worn gears or clutches often.
The bike has less then 200 miles, but my clutch is fine im trying to figure out how to replace my gear shifter!

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you calibrated the clutch cable correctly, then i guess could be worn out transmision gears, or clutch plates. Also (but probably not it) when pulling the clutch, make sure the cable is pulling on the right side of the bike up from the engine case.
No it has nothing to do with trasmission, im literally loking for a tutorial on how to change gear shifters, i can send pictures if it helps!

·
Registered
314 Posts
Not trying to 2nd guess anything here... but with only 200 miles on the bike... the 'problem' should be addressed by Honda's warranty.. or a not so easy process of you getting used to shifting the bike. Every bike is a bit difference, but Honda's not known for having difficult-shifting motorcycles.
What these folks have suggested is spot on.. and if you look through the owner's manual, there should be some instructions on how to 'adjust' the shifter. For some folks, a small adjustment makes a huge difference. Here's a previous discussion on making the adjustment.
adjusting the shift lever | Honda CBR 300 Forum

·
Registered
1 Posts
This was happening to me when I first got my bike (new). Try releasing the clutch just a tad into the friction zone and then put it into gear. That worked for me! Good luck!

·
Registered
8 Posts
This was happening to me when I first got my bike (new). Try releasing the clutch just a tad into the friction zone and then put it into gear. That worked for me! Good luck!
That is not a solution. You should adjust your clutch correctly. Releasing the clutch and then slamming the gear is not supposed to happen.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts