Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know always an ugly topic but one that has to be contemplated, and often too!

It’s easy to think, “you’re either paying attention or you’re not,” and that’s the end of it. I disagree; the best way to improve situational awareness is, first, to become aware of your level of awareness.

By that, I mean, it’s not good enough to just try and be aware of what’s going on around you. You need to take responsibility for your awareness, and constantly monitor the degree to which you are present and 100% devoted to the task of riding properly.

Let’s assign Dept. of Homeland Security-style color codes to levels of situational awareness:

• White – you are unaware of your surroundings; daydreaming, or distracted
• Yellow – a state of relaxed awareness
• Orange – a heightened state of alert in response to a specific potential threat
• Red – immediate action is required
Backmarker: Situational Awareness for Riders - Motorcycle USA

·
Registered
162 Posts
Be aware of your level of awareness almost sounds Buddhist. I suppose being aware of your awareness is even more important than being aware. At least if you know you are not paying attention, if you know, then you can take steps to become more aware or stop riding and take a break.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Be aware of your level of awareness almost sounds Buddhist. I suppose being aware of your awareness is even more important than being aware. At least if you know you are not paying attention, if you know, then you can take steps to become more aware or stop riding and take a break.
Well indeed, Mark actually makes nearly the same point in his article..

Riding in Condition Yellow doesn’t mean you’re paranoid; it’s not less fun than “just going out for a quick blast.” If anything, it’s more satisfying. There are tons of people who practice yoga or meditate with the goal of “being in the moment.” That’s what you achieve every time you ride this way.
realistically we should all be like this every minute of the day, directly immersed in whats in front of us, thats why riding motorcycles isnt simply a choice of transportation but a gods honest lifestyle. One that ends up transcending your bike and breaking through to the rest of your being...

·
Registered
295 Posts
Good way to put it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts