Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've tried the permatex red silicone and that stuff just drips off after a while. I found it useless. I was wondering if anyone has ever heard of using a silicone coupler tube? Like for a turbo downpipe. It is rated to the same temp as the red rtv sealant. Then stick a couple exhaust band clamps over that. At the midpipe it can't get over 300 degrees? Right? My vettes exhaust tips at the back are only 330ish degrees. What's everyones thought on this?
To save time I already tried red rtv, copper sealant, permatex muffler tape and I've clamped it down with a couple different kinds of clamps. Also, the pipes are still perfectly round, so that isn't a problem either. It's those 6 slits on the aftermarket midpipe that the air is coming out of. Probably nobody else would care but I'm very ocd about my rides! Lol

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
I hear ya, leaks are really annoying. I know the slits you mean, Is this because the pipe isn't pushed all the way on and part of the slit is exposed or is it because of too much clearance between the two pipes? Which end of the mid pipe is leaking?

Ive had good results in the past with the red high temp silicon, maybe you used a cheap brand? Or, maybe your gap is too big?
I found the OEM exhaust clamp that came with the original muffler was the strongest clamp to use. Its real easy to strip the threads on those lightweight stainless steel ones that come with the aftermarket slip ons.
My mid pipe is a real snug and actually hard to get on and off.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The midpipe matches right up with the band on the stock header and the slits are only about 1 inch long. The header pipe is easily in the midpipe a couple inches. I used permatex red rtv. Even tried permatex muffler tape around the header, slipped on the midpipe and put it over that also. It did seal it up pretty good, but still a small leak. It's just something that annoys me at night lol you know? I snapped that stock clamp immediately. Not even half a turn and the bolt snapped. Yeah these band clamps don't have much force in them.
I decided to give it 1 more try. Today I bought some permatex copper sealant and 2 nice cobra band clamps. I'm not going to put the midpipe right up to the header band. But I am going to place the clamp up to the header band so it's just hanging over the midpipes slits. Then the 2nd clamp right behind it.
If this doesn't work, I give up and will live with the tiny leak. It causes no backfires or problems.

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
See how it looks first. If you turn the U clamps so that the nuts and thread are on the backside away from view you may find it looks acceptable.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts