Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed today after coming to work that I have a small little leak coming from the end of the most silver piece It looks like a cap would go on this? Any and all help is appreciated due to me not knowing the most about bike engines Cars are another story :)

·
Premium Member
5,373 Posts
From the picture I cant work out where on the bike this is? It's not anywhere near the front sprocket is it as this is a common point where lube gets flicked off the chain and people mistake it for a leak.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From the picture I cant work out where on the bike this is? It's not anywhere near the front sprocket is it as this is a common point where lube gets flicked off the chain and people mistake it for a leak.
it’s this part right here. I read something about it being a coolant bypass or the water pump seal is broken. So far it’s just a small drip so far after a ride and then it stops overnight I think. Only had the bike for two days so haven’t been able to keep a long look on it yet

·
Premium Member
5,373 Posts
The thing to do is put a clean container under your bike when parked until you have enough of a sample to determine whether it is coolant or oil. In your picture it looks more like oil than the green or red/pink color of coolant. Yes there is a tell tale weep hole on the CBR so you know if the mechanical seal of the water pump is leaking but I cant remember exactly where it is as I sold my bike a couple of years back but I'm pretty sure it is towards the bottom of the RH engine case cover.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I noticed today after coming to work that I have a small little leak coming from the end of the most silver piece It looks like a cap would go on this? Any and all help is appreciated due to me not knowing the most about bike engines Cars are another story :) View attachment 34807
Same problem here bud. It’s the overflow valve. It’s completely normal. To properly check your level, Put your bike on a stand, level out the bars and bike and check your oil through the glass every once in awhile. If you notice it getting too low, then it might be something internal that’s pushing out more oil than normal. But if not, just change your oil every 5 grand or so. Mopars full synthetic is the ****👍

·
Registered
406 Posts
I too thought I had a leak but in the end my fears were unsubstantiated. Keep a piece of cardboard under the bike and continue to monitor it. Most likely it is the overflow valve because you put in too much oil on last oil change or it could also be chain lube that gets flicked off if you recently oiled your chain.

So your best bet is to put the cardboard underneath and continue to monitor it. This will be a 2 person job where you want to take the bike out for a decent ride that lasts over 15 minutes and then when you get home you turn off the bike and wait 5 minutes and then you get on the bike to hold it perfectly level and ask second human to look at the sight glass, even have them take a picture of it.

Because if the oil level on the sight glass is going down then you have a REAL leak. If you see drops of oil coming out of the actual oil drain bolt then you have a REAL leak. If it is a REAL leak it could be that the oil drain bolt was not torqued down to proper specs or that the crush washer is worn out.

Always use a torque wrench on the oil drain bolt and if you dont want to be bothered with that then buy a Fumoto valve.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts