Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Interesting, I've never seen one on the road. It's not like he blew you away. lol

Do you have stock gearing? Any mods? Just wondering if yours is bone stock
Exhaust + ejk(copied your settings) and stock gearing. Little mods here and there nothing too noteworthy.

Yeah they're pretty rare even in Los Angeles. I think it's the tiny 2 gallon gas tank, that bikes literally a track toy.

·
Premium Member
5,282 Posts
Exhaust + ejk(copied your settings) and stock gearing. Little mods here and there nothing too noteworthy.

Yeah they're pretty rare even in Los Angeles. I think it's the tiny 2 gallon gas tank, that bikes literally a track toy.
Pretty much. I considered one when i upgraded to 300R but was put off by small tank, hard seat and to a lesser extent sporty riding position. Oh and the 3K price diff!
Interestingly Ive seem more RC390's on the road here than CB300F's.

I went to a round of the NZ National Superbike series at my local track back in January. The Lightweight Production class was dominated by RC390's with a few R3's and a lone Ninja.
I put my stop watch on the 390's and they were circulating the track only 1.5 seconds slower than me on my 650 twin. Fast machines in the right hands.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts

I looked into them before buying my 300 but the only dealer was about 50 miles away. I also read they had some problems so I didn't want to be that far from the dealership if I was going to have to keep bring it in for stuff. Looks nice and yah i bet it's great on the track.

I wonder if you had lower gearing..say 13t/37-38 if you coulda kept up? At least till about 50mph.
What speed did you top out at during the spring?

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Didn't seem like 14 extra horses. But that's why I'm asking what his top speed was. Dunno what the rc's rpm range is or where it's powerband is. Maybe it pulls away bigtime at 60mph? lol
I hit 75 mph and the bike was actually decelerating at full throttle on the uphill. It was also really windy :( our bikes are sloooow. Maybe a 13t front sprocket would've helped on the uphill part but I can't fix the aero haha.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
cycle world testing of both has;
ktm 0 - 60 4.6sec. 1/4 mile 13.7 at 93mph
cbr 0 - 60 6.3sec. 1/4 mile 15.2 at 83mph

hardly surprising, given relative stats;
ktm wet 338lb, 300r 357lb [+abs=364lb]
ktm makes almost twice the hp [40 vs 28]
and a third more torque [24.5 vs 18.6]
with its 12.6:1 cr comp to cbr 10.7:1..
- but -
braking 60 - 0 cbr wins by 9ft! [134 to 143ft]
and again 30 - 0 by 2ft [34 to 36ft]
india made brybe brakes a feature
of this baja auto/ktm..

honda could easily have created a faster
motorcycle around cbr286r basic design..
but that was not the intention..

for comparisons sake, compare ktm 390 [373cc]
40hp to 2017 cbr250RR 38hp..
todays honda small bike with RR pretensions..

increase its capacity by 1//2 again to 375cc
to match the ktm 390s capacity of 373cc,
for a larger RR variant, and what now
comparative hp and performance..

check out the stats and build quality etc
of hondas, cbr250RR, with rbw throttle,
gull wing swingarm, suspension, brakes,,
etc, etc, for an eg of how honda sees this
category of road motorcycle..
[not to mention the rumoured 300!]

i could have had a 390 but was put off by
skilled aussie testers' mocking of its indian
made byrbe brakes.. on the streets you want
braking,, over slightly quicker 0 - 30 times..

[after first cbr300r written off :(
checked out 390, but chose another cbr300r,,
despite no orange wheels]

getting off the mark, 'drag racing'
depends as much on the rider
as the motorcycle..
cbr300r has a two step throttle
but i virtually never use 2nd stage
off lights.. and its still enough..
also dont adopt drag racing weight
distribution etc..
if another motorcyclist wants to
'beat' me off the lights, then great!
as soon as she/we hit traffic tho,
im gone :)

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
I hit 75 mph and the bike was actually decelerating at full throttle on the uphill. It was also really windy :( our bikes are sloooow. Maybe a 13t front sprocket would've helped on the uphill part but I can't fix the aero haha.
I wonder if the "R" version would help at all (just a tiny bit) more than your "F" version when it came to your wind situation. I know not a lot but maybe an extra foot? lol

·
Registered
136 Posts
We have to surrender ourselves to the fact our bikes are some of the slowest ones on the road. Speed is not everything, though.
Absolutely correct. Urban usability is the CBR300R's greatest feature. I bought one primarily because it's light and has plenty of torque both of which are the benefits of a single cylinder. For those wanting the ultimate fast, there's always the H2.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Oh, gee, I can't even imagine what it feels like to be catapulted like that. One time I got a ride in an Audi R8 V10. The guy stepped on it (I'm not even sure if it was pedal to the metal). My consciousness couldn't even process the acceleration - it became a blur. This bike is the R8 V10 with a PMS. It really must take an expert to handle it even in a straight line on an empty highway.

·
Premium Member
5,282 Posts
Our bikes aren't slow. Everything else is just unnecessarily fast.
The sensation of something feeling fast or slow is quite subjective to what you have experienced in recent memory.
If you only have the one bike and ride it all the time then it most likely feels plenty fast enough. Which is great.
Mostly I'm happy enough with my 300R but if I have an extended ride on one of my buddies bikes bigger than mine or get on it after a race meeting on my SV then it feels slow.
Conversely there was a new member on here the other day who had just traded up from a 125cc machine and was loving the extra power and speed of the 300!

How fast is unnecessarily fast? That's a real good question.

·
Registered
136 Posts
How fast is unnecessarily fast? That's a real good question.
Who know?
Everyones different. For some it's top speed, others acceleration, others torque. Etc, etc.
Whatever puts a smile on your face I guess?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts