Honda CBR 300 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Apologies in advance if there is a current thread on this topic (I couldn't find a recent one).

I really need to sort out some luggage so that I can use the bike more. I need space for work paraphenalia (small laptop plus the usual odds and sods) for commuting, but also somewhere to stash a large DSLR body and 2-3 heavy lenses.

As you all know, there seems to be limited options. I like topboxes for their versatility and security but, to be honest, they look a bit crap on a sportsbike. So I am leaning toward a pair of Krauser Street soft panniers, like these, which look quite good, at least on the CBR250R:

Honda CBR300R Panniers Krauser Street Softbags With Full Fitting KIT | eBay

I am a little sceptical about fitment though. I have contacted the seller, who assures me they will fit the 300 without modification. However, given the experiences of others on here, who found that items supposedly for the 300 were actually for the slightly different 250 (bodywork) and seeing that the seller shows a 250 in his description, I'm not sure.

Does anybody have experience with these?

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
Yes the tail section is a lot wider on the 300, could be an issue. I can see how the front of those mounting brackets attach to the bike but not the rear. There's not much solid to screw on to in that area.

Surely you could rtn them if they dont fit but that would cost you freight...
They do look well made though, should be at that price!

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Well a bit of interweb detective work paid off and it's looking like the Krauser system can indeed be fitted to the CBR300R.

One of the links on this page doesn't seem to work but the other does, and fitting looks straightforward. This isn't a cheap option, as Kiwi pointed out, but it appears to be high quality and looks pretty good on a sportsbike. The dimensions will allow for my laptop and camera gear, they are waterproof and, within the limitations of 'soft' luggage, fairly secure. A big advantage is the quick release system, meaning that they can be quickly detached and carried for additional security.

I also like the way the brackets hold the panniers away from everything - so no rubbing - yet they don't appear to be too wide for lane filtering.

So far, so good. Getting close to placing my order!

C-Bow Honda CBR300R

Reactions: Treve82

·
Registered
274 Posts
These are specific for CBR300 as well. I saw it in person at my dealer and it looks nice. However, I am not sure how big your laptop is, so it might not fit. Pretty pricey too. :)

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
These are specific for CBR300 as well. I saw it in person at my dealer and it looks nice. However, I am not sure how big your laptop is, so it might not fit. Pretty pricey too. :)
Hey, thanks. Intriguing system. I'm on a bus though, so will check them out when I get home. Cheaper than the Krauser version!

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dang. I didn't realise prices were in USD which, when converted, means the SW-Motech system is even more expensive than the Krauser here in Oz. I think they are also a little bit smaller, so you're right to wonder if a laptop will fit Freezuch - I suspect not, even though I have a smallish unit.

So the Krauser is still on my radar, though now I'm alerted to the size issue, I'm trying to confirm they are big enough.

Reactions: kiwi rider

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I haven't been able to confirm that my laptop will fit, but it's close and so I've taken a chance. Placed my order this morning. Even if the laptop is a tad too big, I primarily want somewhere to carry my camera gear. Maybe I won't be able to zip it up properly with the laptop in there but, as I never use the bike for work in the rain, that should be OK.

I'm looking forward to being able to use the bike more often, especially when I'm off doing photography. I can also grab a takeaway or small groceries, etc. This makes a big difference to the utility of a bike in my experience.

I will of course let you know how this goes.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I don't think space will be an issue. If I am being paid (I don't go looking for paid work these days), I would use the car and take everything, just in case. I would only use the bike when shooting for myself, in which case it's usually just a single 5D3 body with 24-70 f/2.8L and 70-200 f/2.8L (or 16-35 f/2.8L, depending on what I'm planning). I usually plan ahead and have an idea of what sort of pics I'm after and pack accordingly. If I'm after bug shots, I would just take a body plus my Sigma 150mm f/2.8 Macro with ring flash. All my lenses are heavy buggers. I might take the TC if shooting sports or wildlife, plus monopod.

If it's a case of going out for a ride but want to have a camera handy, one body plus 24-70.

Apart from when shooting macro, I very rarely use flash. I much prefer ambient lighting and the 5D3 can handle most situations OK.

Reactions: Treve82

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The max load for each pannier is 5kg. A 5D3 body and 70-200 lens is about 2.5kg.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Pretty large capacity on these
I'm sure they are great when you need to carry lots of stuff, such as for a road trip. I need less space but also liked the Krauser C-Bow fitting system, which is easy and quick but also secure enough with its key lock. They also look pretty good on a small bike like the 300R, not that I'm vain or anything........

1 - 14 of 14 Posts