Honda CBR 300 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there guys, just got my bike past its 500km/310miles ride in period according to the manual, yet it still sounds pretty much like its swearing at me when I get it near 120km/h.

Reading http://www.cbr300forum.com/forum/engine-technical-discussion/1649-cbr300r-engine-break-3.html thread, it seems like I may of done a piss poor noobs job of riding it in till now, first manual bike so I simply followed the manual.

From that forum, I take it I should at the very least replace the oil and filter now, but I have never red lined the bike, it always just sounded wrong, when riding it past 110km/h its nearing 7k rpm in 6th gear and u can feel the bike vibrating something serious.

Am I just being a noob or is that actually wrong, should I not be worried about riding it what to me seems very hard, should i be letting the rev counter go much higher.

What would be the best approach from here.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,454 Posts
Hey Reme, I get the buzzing through the seat/tank from 6K onwards but I wouldn't refer to it as 'something serious'. Hard to know how much variation there is between bikes but if your really worried about it then take it back to your dealer for them to check it over.

As DaBinChe suggests a 15T front sprocket helps lessen the vibration a bit as you are pulling lower revs at speed and it also puts a bit more load on the motor which seems to help.

Personally I rev my bikes to redline from day one but everyone has their own thoughts on this and I can hear the sound of someone sucking through their teeth over that little admission already :laugh:

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
I am pretty sure that you have not done a "piss poor noobs job" of riding your bike. Some people swear by breaking in the engine gently some (like Kiwi:)) go balls to the wall flat out from day one.

I do not think either way is bad..just different. As suggested above get your dealer to check it over..perhaps have a mechanic take it out for a ride and get his/her opinion of how it feels over 120 KMH. I am pretty sure that your bike is normal...being a single cylinder it will vibrate..probably nothing to worry about but get it checked out to be sure.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
If you ride without earplugs, you will hear a lot of engine noise. That's normal with motorcycles - most of them anyway. However, the vibes should only be fairly high frequency, kinda like buzzing. However, your comment that it vibrates "something serious" makes me wonder if there is a problem with the bike so, just to be on the safe side, I would drop by the dealer and ask them to take it out for a quick check. Those guys know motorcycles and will tell you if yours is behaving normally.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey all, took the bike in this morning and resolved the issue, I was riding like a woos, seems I just needed to push the bike a bit harder through the rev counter.

Got to 130 in 4th this morning once I worked out that the heavy vibrations are limited to the 7k/7.5k rpm range, over that the bike smooths rite out again.

·
Registered
401 Posts
After a month on mine i have found it likes to be above 3.5k preferably 4k, that's where it sounds good, so for 30-35mph limits im in 4th or 5th, I don't use 6th till at least 40 + mph. The bike seems to like quick light shifts. It does get "buzzy" around 7k (70mph) and up but has plenty of pull when needed and awesome mpg. Coming from a little CG its took a while to get used to it.

Mark

·
Registered
225 Posts
When I checked the manual, it had 3 things noted for the break in period: not to rev the engine too high, not to brake to aggressively, and to "ride conservatively". I myself have a 94 mile round trip from home to work & back. I pretty much rode it around 55-60mph and I would make sure to shift the bike earlier than I normally would to ensure the engine was revving too high. I think my break in was a semi-hard break in. Sounds like you broke it in like you should have.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts