Honda CBR 300 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi about to buy a 015 cb300f with 10k from dealer anything i should be aware of how are they on hgwy

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
Welcome to the forum, I'm an R model owner so will let the F owners respond. :)

·
Banned
1,070 Posts
hi about to buy a 015 cb300f with 10k from dealer anything i should be aware of how are they on hgwy
Welcome, me to a R model.

·
Banned
777 Posts
I doubt there's much difference between an F and an R. You couldn't get a bike with closer resemblance to the other.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
anything i should be aware of how are they on hgwy
Ok, so I'll throw my 10 cents worth out there on behalf of the slack F model owners ;)

There's nothing in particular you need to be made aware of regarding the CB/R300's as a highway bike.
They are pretty much a user friendly 'no alarms and no surprises' type of bike.
With only 30Hp's on tap you cant get into too much trouble except when attempting to overtake on a two lane road with traffic in both directions. You need to allow a reasonable gap to complete your maneuver in, esp when passing at anything over 70MPH.
On the whole these bikes have nice road manners and respond quickly to rider input. They're also great on gas and are fitted with excellent brakes.
Your gonna have a bit more wind resistance on the F model of course without the fairing, but on the plus side you probably wont get buffeted around so much by strong crosswinds.
You may find you want to fit taller gearing tho if your doing a lot of highway work and the easiest/cheapest way of doing this is to fit a 15 tooth front sprocket.
Hope this helps. :)

·
Registered
156 Posts
It would appear that I am one of those F'ing slackers! ;)

No nasty surprises, just surprises at how darn much fun these things are. I'll be honest too, I have yet to take the F onto the highway. Dallas traffic is still intimidating for me right now purely as a rider, however, in the handful of times that I've ran the bike up toward it's top end on country back roads, it's been just fine. I previously owned a 250 Ninja for a short time and you definitely feel the wind more than a bike with fairings but it isn't terrible. It has enough power to cruise at freeway speeds with no issues, but being a little single it simply doesn't have the split second grunt of a big bike so you have to plan accordingly. If this is your first bike, it will be a great one. It's a wonderful machine and it can take almost anything you can throw at it.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
In 2009 I bought my 1st motorcycle in about 15 years...a CBR 125 R (liquid cooled single cylinder). Many people who purchased them complained that they had no power (14HP)..were gutless and could not sufficiently carry 2 people. They got a bum wrap that resulted Honda having lots on the show room floors to the point of not importing them for a while. I liked mine which surprised a few of my friends who put the bike down every chance they got. My thought were this...."If you use the bike as intended it is a great machine..period."

The 2015 CB 300 series (R/F) to me have received more of the public's/reviewer's "bad wrap" test's than it deserves. In fact as a "older" motorcyclist who is not looking for a "crotch rocket" that will go from zero to infinity in the blink of an eye,,I can appreciate just what this "Baby Blade" can do. Get great gas mileage...handle very well...great brakes...light in weight and to me looks pretty darn nice. Not to mention it is a blast to ride. It is a very UNDERRATED motorcycle..IMHO. Highway riding will not be an issue...it can cruise all day long at 70 MPH.

You can't go wrong with either the "F" or "R".

·
Registered
144 Posts
I don't struggle at 70mph on my F on the roads. The side winds keep me awake and paying attention though haha!

Above that is a bit tougher and above 80mph each incremental mph takes a while. That said, I am not a small dude 5'11" and 180lbs with gear. And that is on a track so I am at WOT and tucked (topping out at ~86mph before braking). As I get better at carrying speed in corners I am entering the straight at higher speeds but anything above 80mph I would consider tough to hit.

Reactions: kiwi rider

·
Banned
777 Posts
I don't struggle at 70mph on my F on the roads. The side winds keep me awake and paying attention though haha!

Above that is a bit tougher and above 80mph each incremental mph takes a while. That said, I am not a small dude 5'11" and 180lbs with gear. And that is on a track so I am at WOT and tucked (topping out at ~86mph before braking). As I get better at carrying speed in corners I am entering the straight at higher speeds but anything above 80mph I would consider tough to hit.
Track experiences might differ from highway experiences, in that on the highway/interstate, the bike has a longer time to get upto speed.
It shouldn't be a problem getting the bike upto 95MPH, perhaps even 100 with the wind in the back.

I wonder if changing the exhaust might help improve top speed a bit (restrictive?)

5'11 at 180LBS is small compared to me :laugh:

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
Track experiences might differ from highway experiences, in that on the highway/interstate, the bike has a longer time to get upto speed.
It shouldn't be a problem getting the bike upto 95MPH, perhaps even 100 with the wind in the back.

I wonder if changing the exhaust might help improve top speed a bit (restrictive?)
I think you are being a bit optimistic there MeeLee. If you read the 'whats your bikes top speed?' thread (there's a wet weekend filled in!) then you will see that high eighties is a common top speed on the un-faired model.

To quote @AJ Nin here " My CB300F keeps bouncing between 86 and 87 mph, well short of redline and I'm a small guy...140 lbs.

·
Registered
144 Posts
The circuit I was referencing has a 880m main straight and I am at 86mph for a solid quarter of it lol. I enter the straight in the high 60s and quickly get to 80 then spend the next 700 meters gaining the last 5mph rofl. I almost have time for a snack :p

I found the bike's happy spot on the highway to be at ~70 +/- 5 I haven't really needed to go faster. I agree with kiwi that 95-100 is going to be pretty tough. I do have a lightweight exhaust, Li Battery, no pillon pegs/handle bars etc and on the track no mirrors.

Reactions: kiwi rider

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What is the millage on all ur bikes i have 10,000 and what is ur insurance i am stuck paying 2200$ a year 18yo

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
12K miles. I pay about $40 annually for a third party only insurance.
Insurance is not compulsory here in NZ.

·
Registered
274 Posts
12K miles. I pay about $40 annually for a third party only insurance.
Insurance is not compulsory here in NZ.
What would happen then, if you get hit by a motorist without insurance? Would you get paid by your company, who would go after that motorist to recoup its costs?

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
What would happen then, if you get hit by a motorist without insurance? Would you get paid by your company, who would go after that motorist to recoup its costs?
Nah, you dont get that sort of cover for 40 bucks a year! :D
I would need to take out full cover to get that. Third party just covers my liabilities to a third party whose vehicle or property I damage whilst using my motorcycle.

The (scary) reason why third party motorcycle insurance is so cheap is because in 95% of accidents the car driver is at fault!

I've never had full cover on any of my bikes. It's a calculated risk that has so far paid off for me. I view my bikes as an additional toy to my main form of transport and something that I can afford to go without if need be.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Nah, you dont get that sort of cover for 40 bucks a year! :D
I would need to take out full cover to get that. Third party just covers my liabilities to a third party whose vehicle or property I damage whilst using my motorcycle.
So, if the car owner who hits you doesn't have any insurance, you are screwed and need to pay for repairs of your bike out of your own pocket? I can see it being the case in some third world country, but I thought that NZ was similar to Canada, where EVERYONE HAS TO have a liability insurance if they go out on a public road. It's crazy that your goverment would not regulate that. :eek:

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
So, if the car owner who hits you doesn't have any insurance, you are screwed and need to pay for repairs of your bike out of your own pocket? I can see it being the case in some third world country, but I thought that NZ was similar to Canada, where EVERYONE HAS TO have a liability insurance if they go out on a public road. It's crazy that your goverment would not regulate that. :eek:
Wash your mouth out! :laugh: Ha ha

I think it was dsimmo who commented the other day about how he remembers NZ being a fairly liberal relaxed place. Must extend into Goverment policy as well!

Seriously tho, yes you would be screwed if the person who pranged into you had no insurance, money and/or conscience.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts