Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

New CBR300R owner here, with little mechanical expertise looking for some advice.

Before storing my bike away for the winter I took a few steps to help winterize it. I drained and replaced the oil, filled the fuel tank and added Seafoam fuel stabilizer, took it for a short ride to cycle the fuel through the system, then covered the exhaust and the bike itself before storing.

Today I went to take it out for my first ride, but noticed the oil appeared to be empty. I let the bike idle for 3-5 minutes, and waited another minute or two afterward, but I still saw no oil level through the side tank. I had a friend help ensure the bike was standing upright and not on it's side stand, when checking the reading.

My first thought was that there was a leak, but I saw no sign of oil on the pavement where it was stored all winter.

When I replaced the oil before the winter, I filled it with 1 liter of 10W-40 4-stroke motorcycle oil; the manual calls for 10W-30, but after some googling this didn't seem to be a huge issue. The tank capacity after draining is listed as 1.4 liters.

Given that I added 1.0/1.4 liter capacity, does anyone have any idea why I might not be seeing any oil level through the inspection window? Since this is the first time starting up after the winter, should I run the bike longer before checking again, or just buy some more oil to bring it up? If I do buy more oil, should I fully drain anything that's in there again, or is it safe to just top up with more of the same oil I used before winter?

Thanks in advance for any help!

·
Registered
216 Posts
DO NOT drain the oil. Add more. Did you check the oil level in the sight glass after you changed the oil/filter? Unless you see oil on the ground, it has no where to go.. it's still in the engine. Don't worry about warming the engine. When the engine is cold.. all the oil is drained down to the bottom. Straighten the bike so the engine oil can settle evenly and check the sight glass. (You may be able to use a piece of wood like a 2X4 under the side stand to get the bike close to level). Slowly add oil until you see it between the 'high and low" marks at the sight glass. In a perfect world that 1.4 ltrs oil you added would be dead center in the oil sight glass. It's not, and several fluid ounces goes a long way raising the oil in the sight glass. Next oil change, add the 1.4 ltrs of oil, then check the oil level in the sight glass. If needed, slowly add more oil until it's where you want it in the sight glass.. After that.. A quick glance before each ride will let you know whether it's loosing any oil.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Because the amounts are rather small, I have been measuring out the correct amount of oil in an empty jug before filling up the bikes. I'm rewarded with oil right at the middle of the sight glass. If you only added 1 liter before winter -- that's your issue! Add the remaining half liter, same oil you used before is perfect.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts