Honda CBR 300 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to change out both my sprockets and chain for my 2015 cbr300r. I've bought the service manual cd but won't be here until next week. Was wondering if anyone knew the torque specs for the front and rear sprockets??

·
Premium Member
5,456 Posts
I'm trying to change out both my sprockets and chain for my 2015 cbr300r. I've bought the service manual cd but won't be here until next week. Was wondering if anyone knew the torque specs for the front and rear sprockets??
I dont but someone on here will. Having done this job twice my advice would be dont get too carried away tightening the front bolts as they are only a 6mm thread. The locking plate that goes underneath the two securing bolts only goes on one way and the OEM rear sprocket bolts will be real tight to get undone. Mine had loctite on the threads.
Just holler if you have any probs/questions.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I dont but someone on here will. Having done this job twice my advice would be dont get too carried away tightening the front bolts as they are only a 6mm thread. The locking plate that goes underneath the two securing bolts only goes on one way and the OEM rear sprocket bolts will be real tight to get undone. Mine had loctite on the threads.
Just holler if you have any probs/questions.
Thanks! I just finished it today, had a little trouble with the rear sprocket torque because the nut stripped a little so we did it as tight as we could. Front sprocket, I set it at 7 ft lbs like what was recommended and worked out fine. Definitely was enjoyable learning how to work on my own bike and can feel the difference in torque. I didn't take care of my chains because I wasn't aware you had to (I know, poor user habits) but now I know and I'm glad it has more lower end power now? Or at least that's what it feels like.

·
Premium Member
5,456 Posts
Thanks! I just finished it today, had a little trouble with the rear sprocket torque because the nut stripped a little so we did it as tight as we could. Front sprocket, I set it at 7 ft lbs like what was recommended and worked out fine. Definitely was enjoyable learning how to work on my own bike and can feel the difference in torque. I didn't take care of my chains because I wasn't aware you had to (I know, poor user habits) but now I know and I'm glad it has more lower end power now? Or at least that's what it feels like.
Ok that's good you got it done. So you changed to a different size sprocket? How many miles did you get out of your chain?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No, I stuck with the original sprocket sizes of 14/36 for now because I'm not too knowledgable about the sprocket size changes and their benefits. I only got about 8.5K miles on the original chain because I hadn't maintained it AT ALL. (I didn't know any better.. First time owner, never had a bicycle either. :( LOL.)

·
Premium Member
5,456 Posts
Purely as a matter of interest I've just had a quick look in the owners manual to see if there is anything in there about chain maintenance. There is, but hey who ever reads the manual when they get a new thing?? :laugh:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Purely as a matter of interest I've just had a quick look in the owners manual to see if there is anything in there about chain maintenance. There is, but hey who ever reads the manual when they get a new thing?? :laugh:
Oh, it's definitely there and I definitely am not one of those people. Live and learn?? Lol.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
No, I stuck with the original sprocket sizes of 14/36 for now because I'm not too knowledgable about the sprocket size changes and their benefits. I only got about 8.5K miles on the original chain because I hadn't maintained it AT ALL. (I didn't know any better.. First time owner, never had a bicycle either. :( LOL.)
You kept the stock sprocket sizes but you feel that the bike has more low end torque? You'll only get the faster acceleration feeling if you lower/raise your sprockets. Example 13/38.
Did you change the chain too? From how you describe the condition of the stock chain if you put a new chain on you may feel a bit more 'get up and go'

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You kept the stock sprocket sizes but you feel that the bike has more low end torque? You'll only get the faster acceleration feeling if you lower/raise your sprockets. Example 13/38.
Did you change the chain too? From how you describe the condition of the stock chain if you put a new chain on you may feel a bit more 'get up and go'
I changed both sprockets and chains, it might be the "get up and go" feeling then because my chains were worn and lose before and now I feel it has that UMPH, more than before. Perhaps I'm not using the proper terms?

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
I changed both sprockets and chains, it might be the "get up and go" feeling then because my chains were worn and lose before and now I feel it has that UMPH, more than before. Perhaps I'm not using the proper terms?
I know what you mean. A nice new chain will make it feel like new again

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi there, I see that although the torque specs are discussed they are not actually published here. Could someone please let me know what the torque for the rear axle and for the rear sprocket bolts are please?
Thanks in advance.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts