Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My standard exhaust manifold will not budge. The nuts came of the studs easy enough and all the fairings and the rest of the exhaust bolts but for the life of me I cannot get the manifold out.
I have put penetranting spray all over it tonight.
I have a whole new system waiting to go on but this has bought me to a halt.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers in advance Dazza

·
Registered
334 Posts
Overnight penetrating spray is definitely the next step. Then you're talking heat. MAP > propane. I'd make things hot and start hitting it.

Any chance to chisel under the exhaust flange?

·
Registered
287 Posts
After a recent slight mishap... My spouse took away my flame thrower and air chisels. Probably for the best. :rolleyes:
Zeke's right about the penetrating oil and patience. Try using a rubber mallet, or wrap a rag or something around the manifold to cushion the blows of a metal hammer.
Don't go crazy, but a little persuasion should loosen the manifold. (y)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers for your reply, I've tried a chisel in between the flange and no movement. I was thinking of thinking of trying to get a bit of 2x2 wood beam about 6ft in length between the exhaust and the frame and try to pry it out.
I have also tried leaving it running to heat 🔥 up the exhaust but still no movement. I am running out of ideas.
I have had bike's for the last 30 years and never had this bad a problem getting an exhaust out of the barrel.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After a recent slight mishap... My spouse took away my flame thrower and air chisels. Probably for the best. :rolleyes:
Zeke's right about the penetrating oil and patience. Try using a rubber mallet, or wrap a rag or something around the manifold to cushion the blows of a metal hammer.
Don't go crazy, but a little persuasion should loosen the manifold. (y)

·
Registered
391 Posts
Welcome to another member from our side of the pond.:) Us Brits are few and far between on the forum. I'm in Anglesey. Have you tried using diesel to penetrate the joint? A good soak then the rubber mallet treatment should work.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have tried all what you have suggested and no luck, so it has been left with a good soaking of penetrating fluid.
Hopefully a fresh day tomorrow will
bring some luck.

Welcome to another member from our side of the pond.:) Us Brits are few and far between on the forum. I'm in Anglesey. Have you tried using diesel to penetrate the joint? A good soak then the rubber mallet treatment should work.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have tried all what you have suggested and no luck, so it has been left with a good soaking of penetrating fluid.
Hopefully a fresh day tomorrow will View attachment 34836 bring some luck. View attachment 34837
Hopefully a fresh day tomorrow will View attachment 34836 bring some luck. View attachment 34837
Hi Grommet, yes I have noticed that there are not many of us 🇬🇧 left lol.
Nice to see that there are a few people who are willing to help a fellow rider in distress. 🙃.
I have also read that there are only 38 of us left on the road in the UK 🇬🇧.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Grommet, yes I have noticed that there are not many of us 🇬🇧 left lol.
Nice to see that there are a few people who are willing to help a fellow rider in distress. 🙃.
I have also read that there are only 38 of us left on the road in the UK 🇬🇧.
P. S. Cheers Gromit, spelt right this time 🙂

·
Premium Member
5,386 Posts
If you dont intent to keep or reuse it then you may have to get brutal with it and lay into it with the metal hammer for maximum shock effect. I'm seeing rust in that photo.... not such a good starting point! Have you tried twisting it sideways to loosen it? Assuming you have the muffler off of course.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts