Honda CBR 300 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a 2019 CB300R and have really enjoyed it. One of the few things I don't like is how short geared it is. I'm not interested in a 15T sprocket at this point so ive taken to starting off from a stop light in 2d. It lugs just a bit and you reach 20mph and get into 3rd a lot faster than starting off in 1st. Question. Is this harmful to the engine? I don't know if it's accurate, but the display indicates 80 mpg! Thanks, love the forum, I've learned alot.

·
Premium Member
5,514 Posts
Might put a bit more wear and tear on your clutch but all good as long as your not lugging it overly.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Far better to fit a 15T. Makes the whole range of gears much more useable. Less stress on the engine and clutch. 80 mpg sounds OK for USA. I average 94 mpg but our gallons are bigger than yours.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
326 Posts
My out look on the 300 series is if the wheels are turning second gear is fine-I have started off in second a few times only because Honda doesn't want to put a gear indicator on this bike and when your last few bikes had one you get use to it-so back to the question if your a light weight can't see any harm being done

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Far better to fit a 15T. Makes the whole range of gears much more useable. Less stress on the engine and clutch. 80 mpg sounds OK for USA. I average 94 mpg but our gallons are bigger than yours.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Thanks Gromit, maybe I will acquiesce and add the tooth, and hey, I'm in Texas - everything is bigger here! Isn't making an Imperial Gallon cheating? ;) BTW, me mum lives in Wallington SE of London.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Thanks Gromit, maybe I will acquiesce and add the tooth, and hey, I'm in Texas - everything is bigger here! Isn't making an Imperial Gallon cheating? ;) BTW, me mum lives in Wallington SE of London.
Don't forget being your in the USA our speedometers are spot on after the 15T install your speedometer will rear 6-7% high a speedhealer will be needed to bring it back

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Motorboy, thanks for that. I called my local Honda dealer about adding the 15t sprocket and they said if I'm going to change a sprocket they recommend I change both sprockets and get a new chain kit to boot for around four hundred bucks all in. That was a surprise! Is that reasonable or a rip-off?

·
Registered
430 Posts
Chain (DID VX) and sprocket kit about £90 in UK. Chain worth changing as OEM chain is crap. Here the speedo is almost accurate with a 15T. Mine reads 2 mph over my actual road speed, measured over long distances with a TomTom GPS. The odometer however reads a bit less than I have actually travelled. Quite good when I come to sell it.

·
Premium Member
5,514 Posts
Motorboy, thanks for that. I called my local Honda dealer about adding the 15t sprocket and they said if I'm going to change a sprocket they recommend I change both sprockets and get a new chain kit to boot for around four hundred bucks all in. That was a surprise! Is that reasonable or a rip-off?
Sounds excessive to me, are you sure that didn't include fitting? Otherwise the chain he's providing must be gold plated lol.

This Vortex set is a good brand for $158 USD:
Vortex Motorcycle Chain and Sprocket Kit For Honda CBR 300 14T 36T CK2261 | eBay

·
Registered
326 Posts
How many miles on your bike

·
Registered
112 Posts
How are you getting 94 MPG (Imp)? I'm averaging 3.35L/100km (~85 MPG (Imp.)) and I'm not an aggressive rider nor do I try to hypermill. I just ride normally.

Bought it brand new on 9/4, I've only put about 400 miles on it thus far.
If you just got it off the showroom floor and there aren't many miles on it, I'd probably just skip the chain for the time being and go straight for the sprocket change. Should be less than $25 for the part (I think I paid just under $30 CAD all in for a SunStar 15t countershaft sprocket) and you can very easily do the change yourself if you have some basic hand tools. That said, the OEM chain wasn't too great I think I ended up replacing mine at around 13,000 km (~8000 miles), still had life left in it but since I was doing other work anyways I had the chain replaced while I was at it. I ended up getting a "stronger" X-Ring chain. I forget what I even got but IIRC it was either an EK or a DID chain.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Bought it brand new on 9/4, I've only put about 400 miles on it thus far.
With only 400 miles, you don't have enough wear on any of the components to necessitate changing all of them. Just put a 15T sprocket on then wonder why Honda didn't do it from the factory. Because the sprocket is bigger, you need to grind or file a bit of metal off the sprocket guard although I haven't heard of anyone having a problem if they don't do that.

·
Registered
430 Posts
How are you getting 94 MPG (Imp)? I'm averaging 3.35L/100km (~85 MPG (Imp.)) and I'm not an aggressive rider nor do I try to hypermill. I just ride normally.

I ride up to and just over the speed limit but think well ahead so all changes in speed etc are done smoothly. Our area is generally hilly, not flat. I'm 150 pounds so not heavy.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
With only 400 miles, you don't have enough wear on any of the components to necessitate changing all of them. Just put a 15T sprocket on then wonder why Honda didn't do it from the factory. Because the sprocket is bigger, you need to grind or file a bit of metal off the sprocket guard although I haven't heard of anyone having a problem if they don't do that.
I've never done any mechanical work on a bike before; is it easy for a novice or do I need to take it in? Maybe $200 at the dealer
? What tools would I need? I imagine there's a video out there somewhere, I'll poke around and see what I can find. Also, does it raise the seat height any? Im only 5'8" and can barely flat foot it. Thanks

·
Registered
326 Posts
I've never done any mechanical work on a bike before; is it easy for a novice or do I need to take it in? Maybe $200 at the dealer
? What tools would I need? I imagine there's a video out there somewhere, I'll poke around and see what I can find. Also, does it raise the seat height any? Im only 5'8" and can barely flat foot it. Thanks
Being you have never worked on a bike before-don't do it yourself- yes it's very easy BUT if done wrong can be dangerous not worth it-and no it does not raise the seat

·
Registered
4 Posts
It does nothing but change the gearing. Very easy job for even the minimally mechanical.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It does nothing but change the gearing. Very easy job for even the minimally mechanical.

Thank you. Yeah, I think I'll just let a real mechanic do it. On a risk/reward calculation, Saving a hundred bucks isn't worth the risk of me screwing it up. Further, I'm not 100% convinced to put on the 15t sprocket anyway. I tend to think the Honda engineers had a reason to go with the 14. It is after all not a cruiser and I'm not sure if I should mess with changing how the gears, torque and power all work together, but I'm more inclined to switch to 15 than not.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Thank you. Yeah, I think I'll just let a real mechanic do it. On a risk/reward calculation, Saving a hundred bucks isn't worth the risk of me screwing it up. Further, I'm not 100% convinced to put on the 15t sprocket anyway. I tend to think the Honda engineers had a reason to go with the 14. It is after all not a cruiser and I'm not sure if I should mess with changing how the gears, torque and power all work together, but I'm more inclined to switch to 15 than not.
Somewhere in this forum I wrote a piece on the long term cruising speed of this bike-short answer is this 286cc bike has a long term cruising speed of 60mph which is at max tourque of 6,500 rpm-yes it will cruise at a higher speed but every mph over 60mph (long term)puts undue stress on engine parts and shortens engine life-if you only keep it for 5,000 miles or so no problem run it wide open all day it will probably survive but 10,000 miles might be a problem and it goes without saying fresh clean oil is a necessity and not every 8,000 miles as Honda recommends

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks Motorboy. I look at the oil in the sight glass, and when it starts getting dark, it's time to change it and I expect that long before 8000 miles. It's getting brown already! And to confirm, if I change only the front sprocket to a 15T the max torque will be reached around 7500 rpm which will let me cruise at 65mph without stressing the engine?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts