Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. New here to the forum, hope everyone is doing well..

On September 30th my brand new CB300r with only 300 miles, was stolen. I live in Northridge , California right in front of the csun dorms. If anyone nearby has information please contact me! Has a monkey stuffed animal attached on the rear fender and has a spiked license plate cover.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hello all. New here to the forum, hope everyone is doing well..

On September 30th my brand new CB300r with only 300 miles, was stolen. I live in Northridge , California right in front of the csun dorms. If anyone nearby has information please contact me! Has a monkey stuffed animal attached on the rear fender and has a spiked license plate cover.
View attachment 34811
Ask the university if they have any video cameras in front of the dorm, that might have caught who stole it. Did you have a wheel lock on?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
331 Posts
I've had two covers stolen this summer — the last time RIGHT OFF the bike while it had a wheel lock on. Also took my phone holder and dumb brake reservoir sock :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
5,385 Posts
I've had two covers stolen this summer — the last time RIGHT OFF the bike while it had a wheel lock on. Also took my phone holder and dumb brake reservoir sock :rolleyes:
Probably good idea to have a few token things on the bike like the sock so that they go away sooner feeling like the 'got something for nothing'. Douche bags. I'm so glad I live in small country town where people leave other peoples stuff alone.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I am deeply sorry to hear of your loss. In big cities we have to take many precautions to avoid motorcycle theft. I hope the thief gets caught. Take a look at this other thread I made that shows my present security setup:

Some people think "Nobody is going to steal my little 300" but a Joy-rider will steal anything they come across even if its a 50cc scooter.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Probably good idea to have a few token things on the bike like the sock so that they go away sooner feeling like the 'got something for nothing'. Douche bags. I'm so glad I live in small country town where people leave other peoples stuff alone.
Thats actually a great strategy. To leave some easily steal-able trinket for the Klepto to take and feel like he "got away with something". Basically it scratches their itch. Maybe a pair of sunglasses from the Dollar store would work good.

But if I had someone steal 2 of my motorcycle covers that would be a huge Bullhorn in my ear telling me: Dont park here anymore, it is not safe.

I have noticed that most of the bikes that get knicked are in immaculate showroom condition................ so if your bike has scratches or is otherwise Ugly like a StreetFighter that tends to keep the Pro thieves at bay.

There are 3 kinds of motorcycle thieves:

a) Professional career thieves. That probably the ones that stole O.P's bike. They are looking for excellent condition bikes that they can quickly sell to a fence. They stay away from beat-up bikes or rusty exhaust and so forth. If these guys got your bike you will probably never see it again. It will be parted out or exported to another country to be sold with a falsified VIN and title

b) Joy-Riders: Usually some drunk teen with a belly full of liquid courage looking to do some wheelies, burnouts and hop over the railraod tracks at full speed and so forth. With these guys you usually will recover your bike but it will be wrecked and mangled and found a few miles away.

c) Opportunistic criminals. These bottom-feeders will steal anything that is not secured. Usually they are drug-addicts looking to flip the bike and they probably only make $300 or less. They sell the stolen bike to chop-shops and it gets parted out. Alot of the ebay auctions and so forth for used parts come from these scumbags.

In my case i found "by accident" a wonderful way to "uglify" your bike and make it distasteful to thieves:

And what i did there was apply Nu-Finish brand polish. It does a great job on the metal body but you are not supposed to apply it to the plastics. I did not know any better and applied it to the plastics too...... anyway. And now it makes the plastics look like sh_t while at the same time protecting them from sun damage.

You can buy pink erasers from the dollar store. The ones designed to erase pencil marks and it will take the Nu-Finish off of the plastics. So you can now make your bike UGLY enough to dissuade thieves in a way that is completely reversible and at any time you can rub the pink eraser on it and take the Nu-Finish wax back off.

·
Registered
331 Posts
A resident in my housing co-op (we've butted heads on the board) pushed the bike over Thursday night, as recorded on security cameras. I suspect she stole the covers as well.

·
Premium Member
5,385 Posts
A resident in my housing co-op (we've butted heads on the board) pushed the bike over Thursday night, as recorded on security cameras. I suspect she stole the covers as well.
Doesn't really fit into any of KC's three categories... maybe we need a fourth one for 'psycho bitches' lol. 😄

·
Registered
285 Posts
Doesn't really fit into any of KC's three categories... maybe we need a fourth one for 'psycho bitches' lol. 😄
Hey, sometimes, those "psychos" can be fun. Crazy neighbors are sort of like scooters.. lot's of fun to play with, but you're ashamed to let anyone else see you... And, with "psychos", it always helps if you're away from home.. soz they can't follow you home. :whistle:

·
Registered
331 Posts
it always helps if you're away from home.. soz they can't follow you home.
Yeah, living in the same building can get to be too much. o_O

Anyway, back on topic... Bike thefts are really, really high in the Twin Cities every summer. I'm sorta resigned to the very real possibility that it's gone when I go outside someday... And that's what the insurance is for.

After all the latest antics, my current setup is: 1) Bike in my parking spot behind the building (when the interior security camera can sorta keep an eye on it, through the door window), 2) covered pretty much all the time when not in use / hot, 3) rotor disc lock with the reminder cable routed through the cover, 4) cover lock located on the rear of the bike. This lock goes off if someone lifts the cover at the rear and pulls the pin from the device, which takes a 9V and is much louder than the disc lock, and continues to scream until pin is reinserted.

My apartment is around the side of the building, so with windows open you can hear either alarm... if you're listening for them, at least. I did not hear anything when the bike was knocked over Thursday - I don't like the particular brand of disc lock that I most recently got, and the other alarm didn't sound.

Hopefully OP gives us an update when there's one.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts