Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
New to the site but seriously looking at the CBR ABS model for a purchase in about a year.

Having reworked my 84 CB700SC, there was some basic research that I thought I'd share with the group because I'm interested in what the group might be taking on in the coming year to sharpen the CBR's handling.

The basic research was related to characterizing the different relationship for modern bikes of:
1. Rake vs trail
2. Rake vs WB
3. Trail ve WB
4. Weight vs. WB
I pulled the numbers of various classes of bike from 2012 and 2013. There are a few oldies in there too.

The CBR numbers:
Rake: 25 degrees 30'
Trail: 3.9"
Weight: 364 (abs model)
WB: 54.3"

The weight/WB puts the bike in a very sweet spot - but, when you look at the rake/trail numbers compared to weight and WB or rake vs trail, the bike is a bit conservative. I suspect this is the case as many new buyers will pick this bike, so best to keep things fun, but safe.

For the experienced riders out there who set up their suspension right (sag F/R and get the spring rates correct for the rider), it seems to me, the rake should be about 1.5 degrees less; 23 degrees 5' to 23 degrees 8'.

I would be interested in hearing from any rider who is thinking of exploring this path and what results they are achieving. Note, you should not attempt anything along this path if you have not gotten the spring rates and sag properly setup.

Jerry

Edit:
black dots = naked bikes
red dots = sport bikes
white dotes = standard bikes
blue dots = sport touring bikes
magenta dotes = cruiser bikes

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay, I updated the charts to show the bikes I am considering; the CBR 300 is one of them.

I think the only real thing to adjust on the CBR is the rake. Has anyone done anything to reduce it down a few degrees (like slip the forks up in the TT)?.

I suggest before anyone does this, you should get an app for your smart phone that reads angles. Here is a pic of how I measure my rake (pic 5); make sure when you anchor the bike (4 ratchet straps) you only have the straps just tight enough to keep the bike level (don't pick it up). Also, don't forget to calibrate the app using the concrete floor, you should zero out the phone when on the floor so it reads as 0 degrees.

Jerry

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts