Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the long running GSXR300 rumor fueled by some engine patents that Suzuki filed nearly two years ago seems to have morphed into a GSX-300 naked bike, perhaps! Anyways, good to see new blood potentially emerging in the sub 400cc class.

·
Registered
216 Posts
That's interesting. I was wondering if and when it would happen. I'm really not surprised at the 300cc. I believe Suzuki is more interested in the huge, and growing, Asian market that focuses on smaller, sportier, and more economical transportation. I hope to see this bike in the US, but I'm doubtful given Suzuki's GSX250Rs weak sales numbers. I own and ride the GSX250R and It's truly an awesome well made motorcycle.
The front nose on the GSX S300 photo is almost as ugly as the one on Yamaha's MT-03. :oops:

·
Premium Member
5,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's interesting. I was wondering if and when it would happen. I'm really not surprised at the 300cc. I believe Suzuki is more interested in the huge, and growing, Asian market that focuses on smaller, sportier, and more economical transportation. I hope to see this bike in the US, but I'm doubtful given Suzuki's GSX250Rs weak sales numbers. I own and ride the GSX250R and It's truly an awesome well made motorcycle.
The front nose on the GSX S300 photo is almost as ugly as the one on Yamaha's MT-03. :oops:
Yeah It wont win any beauty contests but seem to follow current styling trends. Could be just our age Airhead?? :D Actually it reminds me a bit of the BMW G310R.

The HP figure is low for a twin, slightly less than the CB300R which will be potentially direct competition.

But the big question is how much of a global release it sees.

·
Registered
216 Posts
You're probably right about the age thing. At this point in my life, I find bold and curvaceous lines more appealing. Unfortunately, the closest I'll come to acquiring such a wonderful creation will be writing a check for a nice Italian motorcycle. And that's not going to happen either. :cry:

·
Premium Member
5,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You're probably right about the age thing. At this point in my life, I find bold and curvaceous lines more appealing. Unfortunately, the closest I'll come to acquiring such a wonderful creation will be writing a check for a nice Italian motorcycle. And that's not going to happen either. :cry:
Bold and curvaceous lines... hmmm, are we talking about the Italian woman or their motorcycles here? :LOL:

·
Registered
288 Posts
I'll chime in and say I too am over the transformer-esque (best way to describe the sharp, "streetfighter"-type aesthetic seen here + G310R, Yamaha Z400..) naked designs. Plenty of people like 'em — I got tons of compliments on the CB300F over the course of ownership. Wow, and I just looked up the MT-03 and kinda like that one (a commenter on the Revzilla article calls it mantis-like).

W.r.t. the GSX-300: Looks like a solid-if-not-class-leading entrant to the small-bike field. Upside-down forks are cool. My understanding with the GSX250R, and correct me if I'm wrong airhead, is that its a pretty great bike slowed down by its ~250cc plant, as opposed to the rest of the field that has grown. I think a lightweight 400 inline twin is the ideal type today, for America at least.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I agree that, at least in the US market, the industry has grown towards the 400cc area. The Suzuki GSX250R and this GSX S300, fail to keep up with their competition in the engine size or power range. I've been really pleased with the GSX250R. It fits me well, does everything I want, and absolutely nothing unexpected. I'm too old and crabby for surprises, and this bike doesn't provide any. It's much closer to the CBR300 in power and fuel economy than the other bikes in this size range.

·
Premium Member
5,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
But if one was looking to upgrade should they choose a 400cc or a 650cc twin?
Either! Ninja 400 more economical and a little cheaper to buy but doesn’t have the low rpm grunt of the 650’s. I’ve just spent the last few days riding around on my new SV650 running it in and I can feel the extra weight over the Ninja. 30kg (66lb) diff. Something to consider if you like the lightweight of the CB.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Either! Ninja 400 more economical and a little cheaper to buy but doesn’t have the low rpm grunt of the 650’s. I’ve just spent the last few days riding around on my new SV650 running it in and I can feel the extra weight over the Ninja. 30kg (66lb) diff. Something to consider if you like the lightweight of the CB.
How about the fuel economy? Is it a large difference between the 2?

·
Registered
216 Posts
KC, you can get an idea from "Fuelly" ( link is below if you care) website on different vehicles, for what it's worth. I'm seeing anywhere from 45-52 mpg for the Sv650, and some pretty wild swings from 45-62 mpg for the N400. Guess it's how you ride. You're not going to come close to what the CB300 delivers on either of these boogers. The CB500 is the only thing in this class that will come close to the CB300.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Yeah, the temptation has always been strong to upgrade to "A Mans bike" or whatever the trolls like to say. I mean thee trolls that think 600cc Plus is "what you need". I went to a few Meetups here in Miami, Florida. I had to go to cruiser-bro meetups since they are the ones that ride at a "reasonable speed".

But even with that we had ridden from Miami to Key West and at some points we where going as fast as 95 mph (153 km/h) and my bike was pretty close to red-lined. I mean it was struggling to maintain that pace. It was vibrating my hands pretty bad.

But as far as day to day commuting as a Lone Wolf I have found the CB300F to handle the task without any troubles. I found a good strategy (on the Expressway) that works well to keep me safe: I find a slower car that is going maybe +10 mph of the actual speed limit and what I do is I get in front of that car and maintain the pace. This protects me from attacks that come from behind.

I also found a good strategy for city driving to protect me from our greatest danger: Cars in the city that are driving the opposite way and turn left in front of us to kill the motorcyclist. The strategy there is to find a car that is driving a speed close to ours and to drive right behind them but 1 lane over. Now we are safe from left turn fatalities since the offending car will respect and see another car and we can tuck in and be safe by riding the coat-tails.

That is the bottom line of both strategies. We find a safe car driving at a constant speed and we USE the safe car as a blocker. Similar to American Football. We ride the coat-tails of our blocker car and it keeps us safe.

·
Registered
216 Posts
The computer on my new SV650 says an average of 50mpg, but those things can be off by a few points. Haven't calculated by hand.
Zeke, I'll bet your grade school math teachers in MN would be clawing their eyes out to know you hadn't figure out how to do that yet. Oh well, they tried. I can send a short remedial tutorial if you need it. ;)

·
Registered
157 Posts
I'm with AH on this one. To me the first thing I look at is the beauty. My CBR still makes me turn around. This looks like an ex I once had just before the divorce :) ....looks mad.... not beautiful......

1 - 19 of 19 Posts